keepingmesane

just had our first occupational therapist vist

we had to fill out a questionnaire for kieran and got told the results of it today and basically kieran is an over the top movement seeker (vestibular something i think, i got lost with all the terms!). not news to us as we know what he's like

but what surprised me is she said he wasnt ASD as they avoid all sort of stimulation like that and that na area where kieran did ok is where it would tell if he was ASD.

she did then go on to say that the questionnaire wasnt there specifically about ASD and more just sensory issues but its got my husband saying, see i knew he was ok!

now ive read loads and been told that chisldren with ASD can either be over the top avoiders or seekers.

she was baffled when i mentioned that kieran wont take bites and keeps cramming food in til he is sick, also holds food in his cheek all day.

so after having kierans portage and educational psych tell me that he will more than likely get a dx of high functioning asd, im now confused totally by what this lady has said!

keepingmesane,

What is an over the top movement seeker? Sorry, not heard that before. Was it the OT who said your son isn't ASD and is she professionally able to do that? Wouldn't of thought an OT would have any say on diagnosis, but would be there to advise on equipment etc which would be helpful. Our OT has never commented on our daughters diagnosis, and has only ever answered our questions and offered advice, as well as assessing our daughter at school and home for any equipment we may need or alterations to home.

It does seem very odd. People with ASDs can be hyposensitive/undersensitive to various stimuli. That means they aren't getting enough "signals" with things and so actively seek them out, trying to compensate. This can include undersensitivity to movement, which is compensated for by lots of swinging, spinning, running around etc.

It sounds as though the OT has got a fixed idea of just one aspect of sensory issues affecting people with ASDs. If you can get hold of a copy of the "More than Words" book that has a section at the start explaining different sensory issues.

i dont think she can dx offically anyway - i think the appointment you have in sept is the one when you will finally start to get some answers although seeing people like this along the way which make you doubt yourself doesnt help. kieran has seen people already and i would be more inclined to listen to your portage workers cos shes sees him every week so knows every aspect of his behaviour rather than just anaylising a questionairre

hi, yes i meant he is undersensitive therefore seeks a lot more movement etc (brain not working!)

ive just got my copy of more than words and am on chapter 2, its been very informative so far.

thanks for all your responses, she wasnt here to dx him, but i just felt so confused with what she said as it will contradict the team when they do come to assess him.

to be honest i just want to put my hands over my ears and not listen any more, im tired of all this indecision and not knowing. will just be patient and wait and see what happens!

thanks again for your posts

(what she said about autism is what i used to think about it, that all autistics were 'in a world of their own' and avoided most things... ive found out so much more in the last few months

seeking sensory input is common in ASCs, however, as yet sensory issues are not part of the diagnostic criteria anyway so sensory issues are just an indicator, the criteria are purely behavioural.

She may not believe your son has an ASC but she is not qualified to diagnose and her input to the team or report to the consultant is only one of many that will be considered, hopefully the consultant is experienced enough to see past her comments which show a clear lack of any understanding of autism

if it isn't an ASC did she actually suggest what it might be? - obviously there has to be something up if his vestibular system is so disordered :wallbash:

hope everything else goes OK

Zemanski

hi, yes i meant he is undersensitive therefore seeks a lot more movement etc (brain not working!)

ive just got my copy of more than words and am on chapter 2, its been very informative so far.

thanks for all your responses, she wasnt here to dx him, but i just felt so confused with what she said as it will contradict the team when they do come to assess him.

to be honest i just want to put my hands over my ears and not listen any more, im tired of all this indecision and not knowing. will just be patient and wait and see what happens!

thanks again for your posts

(what she said about autism is what i used to think about it, that all autistics were 'in a world of their own' and avoided most things... ive found out so much more in the last few months

hi keepingmesane, my DD has alot of sensory issues,i did a "more than words" course and we did a section on all the senses which ifound really interesting,the book is really helpful,our OT was really good and she knew sensory issues and ASD go together but i wouldnt worry to much,they are only a part of an assessment team and dont have the final say,it involves all differant proffessionals!!

keepingmesane,

What is an over the top movement seeker? Sorry, not heard that before. Was it the OT who said your son isn't ASD and is she professionally able to do that? Wouldn't of thought an OT would have any say on diagnosis, but would be there to advise on equipment etc which would be helpful. Our OT has never commented on our daughters diagnosis, and has only ever answered our questions and offered advice, as well as assessing our daughter at school and home for any equipment we may need or alterations to home.

I was told by my ed psych that in order to be occupational therapist you first train as a psycholgist as wth a educational one aswell