Sign in to follow this  
Elmwood

HELP FOR A NEWBIE

Can anyone help? :(

My 14 yr old daughter was finally diagnosed with AS last year after an 18 month battle with the NHS. (sound familiar?) Since then, even after promises of help, there has been nothing.

My daughter has no friends. Like many AS sufferers, she finds it difficult to make and keep friends and is becoming increasingly isolated.

What she needs is someone of a similar age and mind to talk to, exchange views and problems with, all the things that teenage girls do you know?

Does anyone out there have a similar problem? My daughter would love to chat via MSN or e-mail.

NRSDAS

Have you tried the NAS website, I think they have websites and forum information etc on their info and advice section, also, my son subscribes to Aspergers United, which can be done on NAS site, which is written by and for people with Aspergers and has a pen pal service. I hope this is correct as am going on memory just now but I am sure others will have some good suggestions, best wishes. p.s. your battle does sound familiar.:)

Thres also a service run by MIND called the buddy scheme.

I used to work voluntary for it.What it does is hook up disabled people including those on the autistic spectrum with a "buddy" who will take them out ect.

I used to take a 17 year old girl with cerabel palsey out and about shopping it made a change for her other than her mum

Everyone is crb checked and the buddies who volunteer must be over 18.Im not sure about the age of the person requireing the buddy though youre daughter may be too young.I just thought id share the information.

Hi Elmwood & welcome to the forum. I have no doubt that both you and your daughter have lots of questions that need answering. I hope that you will find we are a welcoming bunch on here...ready to chat, listen, cry with, shout at and so on.

I am sure you are aware of the dangers of 'chatrooms' on the net. However, I think as a moderator I would be failing in my role if I were not to advise you and your daughter to be very careful about using them - even through contacts made here. Even here we cannot be 100% sure that poeple are exactly who they say they are. Please be cautious.

Hello, I can only reiterate the above! How daft of me - people are not always who they say they are on the web and if I thought about it I would be very wary of anything my son was doing in a chatroom. I like to 'know' what he is being involved in and vet as much as poss due to his vulnerability, even though he is older. Same goes for my daughter who is younger. We use parental controls on the computer also which helps, although I know some of those dont stop everything. best wishes.:)

Hi Elmwood,

Understand how you feel, my daughters nearly 13 and is pretty much in the same boat - I think it gets hard for them once they move on to Comp. as the other girls mature pretty quickly and start noticing their 'differences' more. The peer pressure gets worse - and whereas a few girls in my daughters class used to talk to her and call occasionally - you get the feeling now that its totally 'uncool' to associate with her now - so they become more and more isolated and withdrawn - to get her out of her bedroom is a major feat!!

I know they have to be so careful about internet etc - especially as they absolutely love their computers - someone mentioned before about a site wrongplanet.net (I think) - which has children/teenage forums - my daughter hasn't been on these yet - so can't comment.

Take care,

Jb

I have a 13 and half year old son with AS.. he has not been at school for years now..He has 2 friends..one he doesent really see and one who is a god-send i must admit.. But he struggles with it... My son gets alot of friendhip and company on My Space .com... It is a huge site and he chats to quite a few people who have simailar tastes in music and films..I think it keeps the loneliness at bay.....He doesent really like admiting to his AS and does stay away from AS sites, unless he is in a bad way with the rage or anxiety..My space seems to giv ehim the distance not to test his social skills too badly, and to shine in his quirks and eccentricities... There is concern about sites of-course..but he knows this and it has been brilliant for his self-esteme..I have checked it out and it looks pretty good and cool to me..but of-course that is just my opinion.. I run a bereavment forum, and we sadly have hoaxers and abusers even on there... Just have to be sensible and open eyed...

http://www.myspace.com/

Edited by patrick w

Thres also a service run by MIND called the buddy scheme.

I used to work voluntary for it.What it does is hook up disabled people including those on the autistic spectrum with a "buddy" who will take them out ect.

I used to take a 17 year old girl with cerabel palsey out and about shopping it made a change for her other than her mum

Everyone is crb checked and the buddies who volunteer must be over 18.Im not sure about the age of the person requireing the buddy though youre daughter may be too young.I just thought id share the information.

how does someone go about finding out about the buddy scheme?? my son is 12 with AS and with moving here to the UK from the states last year and his having social troubles at school He's got no one other than my husband and i to socialize with.. i think he could really benefit from something like that! please let me know how to find out more. thanks

Edited by allure

Allure

The Buddy scheme is run by MIND a charity for mentally ill or disabled people but they do help people on the autistic spectrum also.

Check out the telephone directory and contact youre local MIND and ask if they are running the scheme also and what you need to do to qualify ect theyll be able to give you information or maybe put you in touch with other schemes.

Our Local theatre also runs a youth workshop for children with learning difficulties againe most of the kids are on the autistic spectrum.You do have to pay.But those who attend say it is brilliant for the kids and vastley improoves there confidence.So maybe thats worth a whirl contacting youre local theatre and seeing if they also run a theatre group for kids with special needs or otherwise.

My NT daughter joined the youth theatre at our local place and she loves it youve to pay but its still great and she meets loads of other kids who are interested in the same things.

If youve got other children also id contact the young carers organisation.Its like a youth group for kids who have brothers/sisters mums or dads who have medical conditions or disabilities ect.This is againe a free service and the kids have a great time and escape from home life for a bit with other kids in the same boat my daughter loved it when she was younger.

I think the NAS have a buddy scheme as well..i know that my son was on a waiting list and it came through about 6 months ago.. He didnt want to take it up though.. It was a befriending scheme, probably simialr to MIND

Thanks peeps,

I have checked out Wrong Planet and on first impressions it looks quite a good resource. I 'll get my girl to have a go with it and see what happens. And yeah, I am fully up to speed with the dangers of the 'net, we have had a couple of issues with MSN recently although after a few emabarrasing confrontations, both my kids seem to be a bit more responsible now!

I'll let this forum know how we get on. Oh, and if anyone wants to try a P2P thingy with us, just send a PM and I can get my daughter to respond.

Elmwood

Sorry for being dense, but whats a 'P2P thingy'? :unsure::unsure:

Brook

Person to person. ie private chat, e-mail exchange off the forum, MSN that sort of thing