Sign in to follow this  
lotty

social services assesment

I have just phoned social services for an assesment. i have never had one before and i dont know what they are for and i dont know how they can help. does anyone know what ways they can help us? really worried about it

hello i had one last week nothing to worry about they come and fill in a lot of paper work and see were they can help you if they cant they know people who can they allso tell you about places the children can go to in the school holidays there are groups that look after your children for a couple of hours a day play games things like that the groups will take on extra staff to look after the children you will have to book a place so they know how many there is one across the road from me i didt know about they are going to help me with my daughter 6 aspergers with her temper becouse she hits throws things all the best jill

Yes thats what happened at our assesment I also qualified for Direct Payments too which they sorted out for me.My social worker is lovely and she really listens too make a change!!!!

Good luck

Lisa

Hi Lotty,

Try not to worry about the assessment. The idea of social services becoming involved with your family is a bit scary, but they are there to help you (in theory, anyway: the help you get is dependent on what's available in your area and whether it's what your family needs.)

We requested an initial assessment last year as I was at home with my daughter all day, and we were hoping SS could help by providing some respite for us and some activity that she could go out and do.

The social worker who came was very nice: he was from the "Children with Disabilities" team, he sat and chatted to us for quite a long time about our situation and made notes about what help we felt we needed. He told us we could apply for direct payments - this is when Social services, instead of providing carers give you the funds to employ your own help, in the form of a carer, babysitter etc. as you decide. In our case they weren't able to offer us much in the way of respite, unfortunately, but at least we got onto their books.

Here's quite a useful NAS page on what to expect from an assessment:

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=256&a=4322

Hope this helps

K x