Sign in to follow this  
Eva

A realisation

Hi everyone,

after having watched the same Fireman Sam dvd over and over and over, I finally actually tuned in and realised it's from Wales. So now I know what a Welsh accent sounds like! I find it really interesting that for such a small island, there are so many different accents, (my son for some reason has a bit of a British accent!). Now could someone tell me where a Geordie (forgive spelling) and a Skowser (spelling) comes from??

Too roo,

Eva

A Geordie comes from Newcastle

And a Skowser (don't know how to spell it either) is from Liverpool

:D

just to clarify, it is spelt 'scouser' think it is due to some dish that was eaten a lot in poor times called 'scouse' a sort of 'stew' veg meat and etc. actually looks like a roast dinner vomit! and can i also clarify, i am from liverpool and dont actually know many people that eat it!

A

If you're trying to i.d. the specific accents for those regions, think Jimmy Nail in Auf Weidersen, Pet' for Geordie, and Craig Charles in 'Red Dwarf' for Scouser... I'm fairly sure both will have been syndicated in Oz!

L&P

BD :D

Thanks everyone! I had a look at the link Daisy and it looks like a very nice place. I'll have to visit one day although I'm a bit worried I won't be able to understand anyone.

Baddad, I have seen 'Red Dwarf' but can't remember if I've seen 'Auf Wiedersen, Pet'. I think I might be confusing it with 'Dad's Army'.

Here is a list of shows of great British tv shows I've grown up with: The Liver Birds, Man About The House, Robin's Nest, The Two Ronnies, The Good Life and all the other ones with Penelope Keith in them, the one with Judy Dench in and what's -his-name, Doctor Who, All Creatures Great and Small and the list goes on. So with that background, I can pick a London accent and a northern accent, but that's about it.

A friend of ours comes from Manchester and for a year I thought a friend of his was called Curly, but his name was actually Kelly.

Cheers,

Eva

Baddad, I have seen 'Red Dwarf' but can't remember if I've seen 'Auf Wiedersen, Pet'. I think I might be confusing it with 'Dad's Army'.

Yes, easy mistake to make - one's about a bunch of pensioners (supposedly) protecting the country during WWII, the other's about a bunch of brickies :D