Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Eyes sensitive to sunlight

Logans eyes are very senstitive to sunlight and bright light - we think anyways as he spends most of his time outside with his eyes shut if its sunny! We can't get him to keep sunglasses on (we have the babybanz wrap arounds).

Any ideas to help?

Lynne

Firstly if you haven't already I would get his eyes tested, there are sight issues which can cause light sensitivity.

I know it is a nightmare getting them to keep sunglasses on, but we found with my son to get him to wear them in the house aswell, then when we went outside it wasn't such a NEW thing. Think this also helped when he got prescription glasses.

Also hats with peaks, or wide brims, now my son has glasses he has to just wear peaked hats.

Edited by lil_me

my grandson has very sensitive eyes, my son does too. as soon as my grandson gets outdoors on a sunny day he sneezes cos of the bright light. hes only 2 so he wont keep glasses or a hat on!

we thought he may have hayfever so my dd gave him piriton and he seemed a little better. >:D<<'>

My son was very sensitive to sunlight, wouldn't leave the house without a certain peaked cap. With him it was fluoride sensitivitity from fluoride toothpaste. Changed toothpaste and within a couple of days he said he wanted to go outside ( :clap: something he avoided) and without the hat!

DH sneezes in bright sunlight as well. Apparently it's called photophobia. And I've noticed that Tom often screws his eyes up outside, but he's happy to go outside so maybe it's just him pulling faces :D

Yes same problems here - my daughter hates wearing sunglasses yet can't go outside in the bright sunlight - she'll feel sick and her head hurts. We bought prescription sunglasses last year but she wouldn't wear those either!

Take care,

Jb

Light sensitivity is difficult to understand

1st eye test - rule out pathology / allergy / refraction etc - very unlikely if responses are only in sunlight

Next shade - hat, tennis visor or similar

3rd simple sunspec - grey lenses usually best as they are usually just a brightness control

If that doesn't work then it is possible to check colour reasonably accurately on even very young / uncooperative / non verbal children but there are very few opticians that would even know where to start / have instrumentation. In extreme cases EEGs may be required. Costs may be very high.

A good optician will be able to make specs to fit even a baby

Edited by Ian Jordan

H doesn't mind sunlight but i have very sensitive eyes, they water really bad in even slight sunshine, i also find that mascara and eyeliners do the same to my eyes so i end up looking like a panda :rolleyes:

Clare

1st eye test - rule out pathology / allergy / refraction etc - very unlikely if responses are only in sunlight

3rd simple sunspec - grey lenses usually best as they are usually just a brightness control

If that doesn't work then it is possible to check colour reasonably accurately on even very young / uncooperative / non verbal children but there are very few opticians that would even know where to start / have instrumentation. In extreme cases EEGs may be required. Costs may be very high.

my son doesnt like the sun at all and wear a baseball cap, the college has a ban on these (?!?) thats an argument to come, he doesnt have any kind of diagnosis to state this, it is just a fact, he was seen by an opthomolgist (?) i think thats right, at the hospital after being punched and kicked in face afew weeks back by bullies, they thought he might have colour blindness issues but all through the tests i was thinking 'visual processing, hes got AS, do they understand why they are getting these respones)? certainly cant afford any more private tests!

it is possible to get a referral to me or one of my colleagues through the NHS - but it is very difficult as many clinicians do not believe the research. (perhaps they believe the earth is flat too!). I too have grave misgivings - about standard ophthalmological and optometric tests - they are often totally inadequate.

But the benefits of addressing visual processing problems can be enormous - out of all proportion to the cost - i believe all children should have the opportunity to be assessed regardless of parents ability to pay - a dream that needs political pressure - any friendly politicians out there?

So what kind of eye test will they do at 2 and 3/4? He had a basic eye test at his assesment week but it was a bit ###### because basically he wasn't interested! He is very visually stimulated so I'm not sure if that affects the sunlight thing or not. It does seem very uncomfortable for him though and I can't get him to keep a hat on either - will maybe have to get one that ties on and hope for the best LOL

thanks for your reply to me on that other thread. We actually live in NE Scotland so do you have any recommendations for opticians up here that could best deal with it?

Thanks

Lynne

Same here - both myself and little monkey are very sensative to the sun. We're both very fair, blonde hair and blue eyes. I get horrendous headaches if i'm out in the sun too long :( . He will wear his hat and sunglasses though outside, but still doesn't like to be in direct sunlight - not sure what to suggest >:D<<'>

Where exactly do you live - i lived in Cullen for about 12 years

There are no opticians in Scotland with advanced instruments, sorry

I do occaisionally get North - maybe possible when i am in Aberdeen / Inverness

So what kind of eye test will they do at 2 and 3/4? He had a basic eye test at his assesment week but it was a bit ###### because basically he wasn't interested! He is very visually stimulated so I'm not sure if that affects the sunlight thing or not. It does seem very uncomfortable for him though and I can't get him to keep a hat on either - will maybe have to get one that ties on and hope for the best LOL

thanks for your reply to me on that other thread. We actually live in NE Scotland so do you have any recommendations for opticians up here that could best deal with it?

Thanks

Lynne

Adrenal function is linked to light sensitivity. For my son (blue/grey eyes) his eyes stopped watering in sunlight after the introduction of fish oils. My own night vision improved dramatically on fish oil too.

Adrenal function is linked to light sensitivity. For my son (blue/grey eyes) his eyes stopped watering in sunlight after the introduction of fish oils. My own night vision improved dramatically on fish oil too.

Might try them myself I am very light sensitive and had to have my glasses tinted even for winter! I also have blue /grey eyes. My night vision is not too bad but when driving headlights practically blind me.

When my son( brown eyes) had a ceremony of light in school at age 12 for his confirmation they all had to hold a candle for 10 minutes in church and he nearly drove me mad he got really upset and I had to blow it out after 2 minutes this was before he was dx so of course teachers were not impressed at his little " one man show" in the church,he has always been like this though,even hates candles on a birthday cake as it hurts his eyes.

Edited by asereht

So what kind of eye test will they do at 2 and 3/4?

Don't worry. My DS2 has worn glasses since before he was two (not AS, just very poor sight). Just don't let students assess your child as they will probably be too inexperienced to work quickly enough to keep him interested. My son rang rings round the students but the actual optician in the hospital was fantastic. She had a 'hat' on which must have enabled her to see Andrew's eyes and she had a prescription written in a few seconds. Like you I had no idea how they would test his eyes as he was too young to read letters but this is how it was done. Good luck and I hope your child is enabled to be more comfortable in sunlight.

Yoyo

Jaded - Fish oils... How much do you take per day???

Ta x

prescription is straightforward to assess but tints on non verbal / very young children is much more difficult - but possible.

Fish oils are useful in neural development in vision - results are idiosyncratic - you can also try many other remedies eg zinc, carbohydrate / sugar reduction, reduce dairy etc.

Where exactly do you live - i lived in Cullen for about 12 years

There are no opticians in Scotland with advanced instruments, sorry

I do occaisionally get North - maybe possible when i am in Aberdeen / Inverness

We're in Gardenstown, just the other side of Banff. Hubby works in London so has a flat there so we are down south fairly often too though. I think the colour thing is fascinating - hubby and I were talking about it the other day - we're 99% sure he's AS too (undiagnosed) and he totally sees colour and things differently to me, but he isn't colour blind.

Lynne

Logan has really bright blue eyes - is that related? He gets fish oils at the moment anyways and we haven't noticed any difference so far.

Lynne x

Gardenstown - Gamrie - you must be used to climbing hills!

Colour perception is fascinating but extremely complex, not for thread.

I am in area occaisionally - may be possible to assess at friends (opticians in Turriff) sometime.

August maybe poss.

best wishes

ian

Edited by Ian Jordan