Sign in to follow this  
butterflycake

Piedro shoes/boots? Where do they sell these or can you get them on nhs?

You can buy them from Gilbert Mellish I think.

But we got ours free through the orthotics department. Is your child still with a child development centre? They referred us to a physio and thats how we got them.

I think they are expensive otherwise :)

Hi Lila thanks for the speedy reply. Hes only been to cdc once and then he got the diagnosis a couple of months after, he has Asd and gdd. I dont know if they would prescribe them for autistic kids though as i was reading it was kids who have cp.

My son only had a diagnosis of ASD. I just bought it up as a concern with his diagnosing team. when we had the big diagnosis meetings he was examined by a physio. His arches had formed and were really raised way before they should have been.

Could you mention it to your paed or someone else who sees him regularly? If they try to fob you off you can say you know someone who has had them prescribed for a toe-walking child (me!)?

The boots support the ankle and encourage correct walking. I have to say they are not a miracle thing, once my son breaks in a new pair he can still toe walk in them albeit with difficulty but they do encourage him to walk better and he used to be up on his toes all the time now its just sometimes - he has amazing leg muscles!

Edited by Lila-Zen

I had those shoes for Luke because he was born with club feet (not the congenital kind.. it was because of the way his feet were folded and squashed up when he was in the uterus). He had years of physio and special shoes before his feet were straight.. I often wonder if this is why he didn't walk on his toes!

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

thanks Lila. To be honest he hasnnt had much help since the diagnosis. Hes just on waiting lists for salt and ot. We havent seen the paed since the diagnosis back in feb. She said there would be an appointment sent out in 4 months unless i had something else i wanted to talk to her about before that. It`ll be 4 months at the end of this month so i i will be saying to her the next time i see her.

Hi Lauren, poor Luke i hope his wee feet are much better now.

He now has perfectly formed feet, probably as a result of the excellent boots and shoes he wore and all the physio :D

Hi my daughter was born with congenital club foot and wears orthotics.I would,nt advise buying them over the web as they should be fitted by an orthotist.See your gp and get a referral, you may find an orthotic insole may be what he needs.There is a huge range of boots now, and alot more choice for boys.A lad at my youngest,s nursery walks on tip toes and the boots have helped him.

Lauren............do me and you live in a paralell universe or what??..........I,m glad Lukes little toeseys are better :wub:

Yes I should have added that they have to be fitted by an orthotist. You casn't buy them from Gilbert Mellish but they do show some of the range on their website.

It does say on their site:PLEASE NOTE: Products displayed on this web site are prescription medical devices that must be purchased through a physician or other licensed medical provider.

Sorry for confusion :)

Hi my daughter has these for CP, but for 6months before that DX she was only diagnosed with hypotonia and we weren't that keen on the idea of NHS boots (didn't realise they are nicer these days!) so our physio suggested startrite, hard to get hold of these days. They weren't bad but "I" still overpronated a bit in them so went to Piedro (NHS). They might help in between your appointments?

Anna x