Sign in to follow this  
star

Good pretend play?

I know children with ASD/Aspergers can have good imaginative play - esp aspergers.

I just wondered to what extent this play was developed. i.e. would a child make big shifts like pretending cars were lions, or train track was sharks? Would they easily be able to take on a number of roles off their own initiative i.e. doctor, cook, animals, other people etc? Would they be able to join in with other peoples imaginary games?

or would it be more copying other peoples games and re-playing them? or copying scenes from the TV etc.

Thanks for anyone who can clarify !!

I know my own son's imaginative play tends to stem from TV programmes and roleplay stuff from internet. In fact apart from the times he's waving a stick around in the garden on his own (and heaven knows what that's about) I really can't explain it.

He does join in imaginary play when his twin sister takes the lead but prefers to take ideas which are already there. Does that make sense :blink: Not certain it does.

When my eldest did role play he was always T the doctor, or T the butcher - he could not pretend to have a different personality, accent, etc and be eg: Mr Jones the butcher.

Karen

My son (5) will sometimes pretend to be an animal and will crawl around roaring like a tiger, but that's pretty rare. He's now into pretending that our car is Venus (Fireman Sam) and he's Fireman Joe and dh is Station Officer Steele, etc. I suspect though he's reenacting what he's seen.

The other night he told me an amazing imaginary story about our planned trip to the snow and he's getting the idea of telling stories now....

Put him in front of unstructured games and he doesn't really know what to do though. (He'll crumble up playdough instead of making anything).

I wonder if that's why he has trouble conversing, because conversations, especially with other kids, are so unstructured.

Eva

I know children with ASD/Aspergers can have good imaginative play - esp aspergers.

I just wondered to what extent this play was developed. i.e. would a child make big shifts like pretending cars were lions, or train track was sharks? Would they easily be able to take on a number of roles off their own initiative i.e. doctor, cook, animals, other people etc? Would they be able to join in with other peoples imaginary games?

or would it be more copying other peoples games and re-playing them? or copying scenes from the TV etc.

Thanks for anyone who can clarify !!

Personally for me the big difference I've seen between my AS daughter who is now 12 and my NT little girl who is 3 - is exactly what you have said - my AS daughter would play by re-enacting roles from TV, books etc whereas my little 3yr old played with a bit of plastic and pretended it was a mobile phone - it hit me like a tonne of bricks as to what the differences were - because I'd always though my AS daughter had great imaginative play - but she never pretended that something else was something else (if you know what I mean).

Jb

Hi,

Kai is 7 and most of his play is copied from TV (mainly Power Rangers at the moment). He also spends hours building a "Playmobil City" with his playmobil. He'll build a fabulous train track with a station, zoo, shop etc and line all the people up on the platform, but he never actually PLAYS with it, if you know what i mean. The people may get put on the train, but he never acts out any stories or anything. If i try to join in and make the people go to the zoo to see the animals, he gets really upset that i've moved them!

The only thing he did that i think was proper "imaginative play" was playing with a tea set when he was about 2. He used to pretend to pour out the tea and bring you a cup. Then you'd have to pretend to drink it. Apart from that, i can't remember anything else.

Daisy, what's with the stick thing? Kai is ALWAYS spinning around in the garden with a stick. I don't know what that's all about! :lol:

Loulou x

"Daisy, what's with the stick thing? Kai is ALWAYS spinning around in the garden with a stick. I don't know what that's all about! :lol: "

Loulou x

Maybe lightsabers? :D