Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Trampolines

Everyone tells me that trampolines are good for ASD kids - something to do with the pressure on the whole foot and the bouncing action that sends off endorphines and calms the child.

My son was trampolining the other day (he doesn't do it very often) and this was at one of those kids farm type places - when he came off he just changed .... like he had totally gone into himself. I had to take him to the cafe and have him sit with his face in his hat in a dark corner for a while to take away all of the visual stimulus. He took about another day to recover properly and get back to reality.

It could have been a number of factors, too much visual stuff going on, the heat, the fact he was tired, his eyes being unable to cope with the up and down bouncing etc, possible allergy to the animals.

I just wondered if trampolines could have a negative effect as well as a positive one.

We have never noticed trampolining having a negative effect with our boys.

Given everything going on on the day it is hard to say one way or the other if it was the peroblem on the day, and there are probably kids (AS and NT) who simply do not take to trampolining at all.

One important benefit to our two Autistic boys having trampolining lessons (especially for our eldest who is severely dyspraxic) is in the areas of co-ordination, sequencing, responding to instructions and building self-esteem. But that is on the context of an organised group with special needs-aware instructors in a quiet setting rather than as a part of a busy overwhelming day out.

You may want to ask around to see if there is an organised group catering for children with special needs in your area before writing off the idea.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

Stephanie, as the saying goes 'one man's poison is another man's medicine'... or something like that anyway.

It could have been anything from motion sickness to the heat. If he hasn't been put off then maybe you could try him on trampoline in a quieter, cooler environment.

Lauren

we've never noticed negative effects using the trampoline - we had one sunk in the front garden about 6 years ago, it's out of action at the moment, replacement coming tomorrow courtesy of the family fund :D

the whole family uses it and it isn't just a physical benefit, it also serves as Com's main social arena and a safe space when he's out of sorts

the effect you're seeing may well be from over exertion on a hot day in a stimulating environment

Zemanski

It sounds like you child was oversensitised but I do not think it would be from the trampolining. As pressure and pushing actions are normal ways to calm people down. With a trampoline they have to press to make them jump and do different movements.

My son can get oversensitised by heat noise spinnings touch but never from trampoling

Jen

We've not noticed any negative effects of our dd using the trampoline. We got it for her a couple of years ago, because due to her having muscular dystrophy she had never been able to jump. The look on her face when she first bounced up and down was priceless :tearful::wub::wub: I'd try it again, as it could of been a one off Stephanie, and the reaction you saw could of been triggered by something else within the environment.

My AS son is fine on the trampoline, PROVIDED he is by himself and there are no other external pressures around (other kids waiting or distracting him, rain threatening etc). he will only do bunny-hops, no proper jumping, and he will only go on sometimes (we have our own).

If he is bouncing away and one of his brothers just jumps on then yes, there will be troubles, but if they let him finish and get off safely first then he is OK.

Com is completely the other way round - he can interact happily with more than one child on a trampoline and it is the only place he has ever played physical contact games with other kids, in all other environments he is extremely cautious but on the trampoline he feels safe enough to roll around and bounce with incredible abandon, he hoots and hollers and romps and has absolutely no fear of falling (it helps that the trampoline is buried in the lawn so it's at ground level, I think). He is on it every day at least 3 or 4 times, in rain and snow dressed in nothing but a pair of shorts

The best thing we ever bought him

Thank goodness the family fund were there to help us replace it - he has really missed it this winter and spring

Z