Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

Autism Advisory teacher

Hi,

After going on at the school for what seems like an eternity they eventually referred M (he is 6 and awaiting diagnosis) to the autism advisory teacher and also the outreach support (think i've got the right title!!). Both have accepted his referral and are due at the school.

I have been told the autism advisory teacher will be in next week. She will meet with his teacher first, then observe M then finally meet with me. What can i expect to get from this, this is all so new to me. Obviously he may be fine that morning when he is observed but i know his teacher will be able to 'paint' a realistic picture as she is having all sorts of problems with him.

Can anyone please advise me on what we will discuss, i hate going to meetings and having no idea what to expect. :blink:

Thanks,

mum22boys

The ASD team will interview your childs teacher and find out what problems there are, when they happen and how are they dealt with.

He will assess the child in the classroom in a group session and also on a one to one session and document the results. He will observe the childs communication, sensory responses, eye tracking etc.

He will interview the parents and ask about past medical history. What was the child like as a baby,toddler etc. What difficulties the parents think the child.

The ASD team are FANTASTIC they work with the child and give the teacher and LSA stratergies to use with the children.

Jen