Sign in to follow this  
Anneuk

IEP help

I am just formulating my letter to my daughters school. She is on school action plus.

I have never seen the IEP or signed it, can anyone let me know is their a set time things should be reviewed or will this be individually stated in the IEP itself?

Should I have a more active role in the IEP or is it not unusual not to see it or get feedback.

Thanks again in advance

Anne

An IEP can be introduced at any time. Once they have decided to do so yu are supposed to be consulted about the targets in it. There should be three or four really, no more. They should be short term and they should also be achievable targets as well - that, is very important! No point setting targets that are unrealisitc. Once they have been drawn up they ought to send you a copy for comments and suggested changes. Only sign it when your happy with it. Once in place they need to be reviewed at least termly as otherwise they just languish in a file somewhere and are a waste of time.

HTH

I recieve a copy of the IEPs and I always attend the reviews (although I know they have already had their real meeting before I get there) but have NEVER been asked to SIGN an IEP.

Ours are reviewed in June and in November.(not that the school are ever even honest as to whether Luke has actually met a target, they just say more or less and that is how he has made no progress (or little() in 4 years on School Action Plus :wallbash:

Anneuk speaking as a parent who didn't receive copies of any of her son's I E P's for over a year I can sympathise. Phasmid has give his usual good advice. I would like to add if you are invited in to see and discuss any I E Ps do not sign or agree to anything there. Say you would like to have the opportunity to take it home and have time to look at it at your leisure (and discuss with us all if you like :devil: ) I have been caught out in the past apparently agreeing to something I didn't really understand :( Good luck

I would want to be involved in an IEP and if you look at the Code of Practice it would agree with that.

A good IEP for children with ASD will always include social targets - which come right back round to the fact that if they were aware of how important socalisation is to a child with ASD then they would not be removing them from their friends :angry:

Oracle

I would want to be involved in an IEP and if you look at the Code of Practice it would agree with that.

A good IEP for children with ASD will always include social targets - which come right back round to the fact that if they were aware of how important socalisation is to a child with ASD then they would not be removing them from their friends :angry:

Oracle

I received an IEP from school this morning but it is the IEP dated june 06 to dec 06....

I wonder why they haven't sent me the previous one!!!

Should I be asking for a copy of the older IEP's for my records? I doubt they have been kept up to date of even done hence why I have not been sent them.

Anne