Sign in to follow this  
ediebee

1st annual review any tips ?

Hello everyone,

Our sons first annual review is coming up in two weeks time, he is statemented and recieves 20 hours support per week. We have a form from school to fill with our views of his progress and the future. We were hoping some of you could give us some advice or tips on what to watch out for. We have a good parent partnership officer who will be accompanying us, but still feel anxious about it, (and rightly so judging by what goes on with our children!!!).

Thanks as always, the Ediebees.

We were given that form AFTER the event, so at least your school is doing a bit better than ours...

Hope someone more knowledgeable will be along in a minute.

L

Hi Edibee,

We've had a few reviews this past year (although my daughter is not statemented) and I must say the first one I went to I was totally unprepared. I didn't expect so many to be there (Head of Year/Deputy Head/Ed.Psych/EWO/SEN - more recently included the LEA and Home tutor) - I was glad we had the CPN and Pysch.Consult there with us - I definitely wouldn't want to have gone on my own. But then again it depends what is going on and whether things are working out ok for you - ours includes all the time off my daughter has and pressure for withdrawing her were immense so it was perhaps different to a 'normal' review.

I don't know how old your child is - perhaps primary is different.

I desperately wished I'd written down all the concerns I had about things that wasn't working and also things that were being done that were really helpful - so I'd make some notes to take in with you.

Good luck and take care,

Jb

Hi Edibee. Have had a few reviews for both ds and dd. You should have had a letter telling you all of the people that have been invited to attend the annual review. This doesn't mean that they will all actually come. If there are any reports that have been compiled you should have a copy of these 2 weeks before the review. I would also expect the school to have done a report that lists strengths and weaknesses and how the support is used for your ds. Don't know if you feel everything is going well you can put this in your bit. You don't have to stick to the questions they ask you either, try and get your ds views on school as well. I f possible get someone to come along with you if only to make notes and jog your memory :) Sometime after the review (can't remember the time scale) you will get a copy of the report that is sent to the LEA which recommends any changes to the statement or if things should stay the same. Also a copy of the minutes from the review. I hope it goes well for you. I have had a HT who made it quite a nice experience, biccies tea coffee, and one who sat me on one side of the room and everyone else on the other!!

both you and your child are entitled to submit a 'parents'/child's advice' to the meeting - basically a letter that states your views, asks any questions you want definite answers to, etc (you should have been invited to do this already)

this is especially useful if you are having problems with the school or LEA - I have actually read mine to the meeting the last 2 times.

Make enough copies for everyone at the meeting plus a couple of spares and expect to give the meeting a few minutes to read it if you don't want to read it to them

Zemanski