Sign in to follow this  
justamom

Swimming with dolphins!!!

Hi all,

I know its way in advance .... but!!! we are planning to go abroad in March next year the main reason i chose this holiday is for my kids to be able to swim with dolphins. My dd is besotted with dolphins and this means so much to her- its our way of spoiling her and because she does take a back seat alot.

Keegan is not really too interested in swimming with the dolphins he would rather watch but i emailed the place where they have the interaction with dolphins and they have written the following back to me:-

The following people can not, for safety reasons, participate in the interactive program: pregnant women, physical or psychological impaired people, people with autism or autistic-like behaviours, people with strong physical limitations (example: heart condition), people with skin disorders, people under the influence of drugs or alcohol, people with hydrophobia, people with any other condition which may compromise the participant or the dolphins well-being.

I totally understand health and safety issue but i thought that it was very therapeutic for kids with specials needs to swim with dolphins how can they say no to "ADS KIDS" - i think it stinks!!!!!

Good job he is not too bothered but imagine if he wanted to swim with them how would i tell him he cant because he has autism????

Has anybody else had this problem before!!!!

Edited by justamom

Hi,

I think there must be special places for children with Special Needs to swim with dolphins, because I know of two families that fund-raised for their kids to do this.

You could google to see what you find...

Bid :bat:

Yeah, there must be certain resorts that do cater for just special needs children.... Its ok at least my dd will fulfill her dream

Edited by justamom

I have an asd and I have a special affinity with all animals as does Temple grandin autistic professor in animal behaviour, wild animals come up to me, I have so many in my garden birds hedghogs and the birds don't fly away anymore when I approach. I would also love to swim with dolphins because I think they are very special and there is no end to the amount of people who have been helped and had amazing experiences swimming with dolphins.

I think anyone who excludes people for having an asd or a psychological problem (just because one may have a psychological problem does not mean to say they have no respect for animals) probably also has no respect for the dolphins either so I certainly don't think you are missing anything by not going with these people, find a small company that truly respects dolphins in the wild and it is more likely they will respect people including those with asd.

The ones I've been thinking of going with are www.dolphinconnectionexperience.com

and www.wildquest.com

Edited by florrie