Sign in to follow this  
justamom

O.T home visit

Because Keegan had not been in school for the last 3weeks they decided to do a home visit and it all went very well. They were here for 2.5hrs and they did a sensory profile and its decided that Keegan has sensory intergration dysfuction, which was not news to us but they confirmed it for us.

They are going to try and help with regards more support at school and they have said that Keegan definitely needs to use a laptop which i did tell the school about and there response was that it was not necessary at the moment. OT said she is the one qualified to make that judgement not the SENCO.

They are coming back in 3weeks to watch Keegan eating a meal and they are going to try and get him to wear weighted wrist bands during meals to help with muscle control??? Anyone heard of these before or got anymore info on them it would be greatly appreciated.....

All in all a good day but i have been feeling a little "heartsore" (South African term) knowing all these difficulties that he has just highlights what a struggle he has everyday with sensory stimuli.

Re weighted wrist bands, does Keegan flap alot. My dd flaps manically and it can make it difficult for her to perform tasks, ie finds it hard to put a sticker on paper. We found that if we hold one hand she can use the other better! Spoke to her physio about this this week and have a couple of theories, one is her cerebral palsy is making her upper torso unstable and holding a hand stablizes it, and when she's flapping she may loose awareness of where her limbs are until we hold them. Maybe the more sensory one applies to Keegan. My mum thought dd would need a weight to help ground her! The physio said sometimes grab rails on tables help.

Bit long, sorry if it bares no relation to Keegans problem but wondered if it might explain the weights?

Anna x

Thanks Aro no he does not flap but found out that if his arms are weighted then maybe he will be more aware of their movement and it might help him with co-ordination at bit more!!!

We will give it a go and see what happens

Yep, think that's what our physio meant about awareness of their position. Hope it works for him. :D

Anna x