Samsam

Todays news

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,701...8,00.html?f=rss

How do you explain this to a 6 year old Autistic child, we fly out on sunday and I have to find a way to deal with delays when they won't allow us to take anything through security, which includes thomas the tank engine. I can't imagine thomas "going on a special plane" will go down too well. ARGGGHH anyone got any ideas???

have you tried contacting the airport, maybe if they have advance warning they may be able to make and exception. He does have a special need and obviously while they need to make sure all security aspects are covered they might be able to suggest something

do you have anything with his DX on to support your case

A thomas the tank may sound trivial to them but obviously its not to him. If all else fails could you take a photo of it on the plane instead of the actual thing, maybe take a photo of it in the suitcase it will be traveling in toremind him it IS coming and hasn't stayed at home

what a nightmare

My brother flies out on Saturday with his partner and 2 children, my sister then flies out the following weekend.

They are all considering cancelling their flights.

Edited by Tylers-mum

I am flying for the first time in 6 weeks(not to US) and although terrorist attacks are always there in the background i hadnt really give it a second thought till seeing it on the news live at the airports and reading news reports,I ll be a quivering wreck come my holidays

lynn

have you tried contacting the airport, maybe if they have advance warning they may be able to make and exception. He does have a special need and obviously while they need to make sure all security aspects are covered they might be able to suggest something

do you have anything with his DX on to support your case

A thomas the tank may sound trivial to them but obviously its not to him. If all else fails could you take a photo of it on the plane instead of the actual thing, maybe take a photo of it in the suitcase it will be traveling in toremind him it IS coming and hasn't stayed at home

what a nightmare

Godo thinking I might ring the helpline number later and ask them.

My brother flies out on Saturday with his partner and 2 children, my sister then flies out the following weekend.

They are all considering cancelling their flights.

I really wouldn't cancel, its probably one of the safest times to fly, the security is maximum and everyone will be extra vigilant, I actually feel much safer flying this weekend than I would had this not happened.

(but lets see how I am in the airport on sunday mornign at 5am hahaha)

We are the same fly out on our first flight to canada in a few weeks and have been reading the news about hand luggage. I have been looking into what items are allowed etc, no books toys allowed as hand luggage. Im not too worried about the problems that have been going on but its not stopping us from having a holiday. Im more concerned about my 10year old son on the plane for 8 hrs with just movies to watch. Not sure how long this is going on for with having to use plastic bags for hand items..... :unsure: I have bought travel games and things he can make when we fly which should keep him occupied (so confused). I have mailed the airline about seating arrangements but they said first come first served which is fair. We are going to check in more than likely nearly 4 hrs before rather than later. Can anyone tell me can the airline put my son with another passenger and not a parent because theres no way he will cope without me with him for that length of time and I cant afford to prebook seats. Any tips if this problem as not been resolved to do as may well have to put wet wipes/pants in a see through bag on the plane which my son may get upset knowing everyone will see.

Hope everyone elses flights do go to plan and its not too stressful for the families.

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'>

Edited by Amanda32

the airline can seat him anywhere if you dont prebook but if you check in early enough you should be ok they usually try to be as helpful as they can

when you rang did you mention his special needs? may be worth another call if not

the airline can seat him anywhere if you dont prebook but if you check in early enough you should be ok they usually try to be as helpful as they can

when you rang did you mention his special needs? may be worth another call if not

I just sent a email and told them about his toiletting/being autistic(not severe) but they just said the same check in early enough and MAY get a chance.

We was told to check in 3 hrs before but we will go 4 hrs so will get a better chance HOPEFULLY and that he doesn't dirty his pants as I will have to just put them by the side of me in a nappy bag which wont be very nice with no bag of his own........

Edited by Amanda32

If he does get put sitting with someone else I am sure most people are human enough to be understanding and would swap with you, I wouldn't be scared to point out my son will bite and lash out if he gets anxious at the time of asking :D

I have mailed the airline about seating arrangements but they said first come first served which is fair. We are going to check in more than likely nearly 4 hrs before rather than later. Can anyone tell me can the airline put my son with another passenger and not a parent because theres no way he will cope without me with him for that length of time and I cant afford to prebook seats. Any tips if this problem as not been resolved to do as may well have to put wet wipes/pants in a see through bag on the plane which my son may get upset knowing everyone will see.

Hope everyone elses flights do go to plan and its not too stressful for the families.

Take care

Amanda - get back in contact with them and ask for the Special Needs department - explain the problem and they should be able to reserve seats for you all together at no extra charge - if not mutter "Disability Discrimination" under your breath ..... and wait a few seconds. Worth asking them about the toy too ...

My nightmare would be to pack my son's special soft toy 'rabbit' - now over 10 years old - that he can't get to sleep without and then the suitcase go missing .... :o

Hope it all works out well and you have a good holiday

Amanda

I agree with MotherEve, contact the airline again and ask for the special needs dept. It's probably better to telephone and talk to someone in person rather than email. Not so easy to fob off!!

We travel about 4-5 times per year by air and in our experience most airlines are extremely helpful. Most airlines will allow you to check in without queuing, just explain that your son has autism and finds crowds difficult to cope with due to sensory issues. For a flight to Canada I would then ask to preboard the flight and if possible for seats with extra legroom, we normally explain that if he becomes distressed he can become fidgety and we're concerned he may kick the seat in front. It depends on the airline as to whether you get the legroom but I've never come across one that's refused preboarding or sitting together. I would also remind them that it's in the airlines interest that your son doesn't disrupt other passengers by having a meltdown or soiling the seat and so you need to be with him to prevent this happenning. Do you get DLA for your son? If so you could provide evidence that he needs someone to sit with him as a carer. I'm sure they wouldn't expect a child with a phyical disability to be left to fend for themselves so your son shouldn't be any exception just because autism is an "invisible disability".

If you still don't get any joy ask to speak to the manager.

Lisa

Thanks alot you have been very helpful I will ring later on and see what they have to say. All our children cant stay seated without having to wander and especially if they cant have book etc that's going to be a nightmare. They do say on the news that you can buy things at the airport but not sure what the list is.

Many thanks

I heard on Skynews last night that the security threat has been lowered and one piece of hand luggage is now allowed :D Good luck to all those flying shortly, hope it all goes smoothly and you have a wonderful time >:D<<'>

Peter Hitchens is absolutely correct when he says that security does not make us safe. For days after 7/7, more police appeared on London streets than anyone thought existed in the entire country. Surely there can't be that many desks somewhere for them to be writing the paperwork that supposedly stops them policing?

Soldiers were also deployed too for some reason as if they could actually stop a terrorist like he'd make himself that obvious to them. It was just a show and abuse of power by the government.

It's the same now. The threat level catagory 'Critical' means the country is currently under attack and we are still on it even though we are not under attack and all the deployed security isn't making us safer. I don't expect the people at the airport to make any allowences at all.

It goes against common sense though. If you don't want a hijack or bomb plot to be successful, you give everyone a weapon. The passengers of Flight 97 on 9/11 proved that even if it was only partially successful and they all died, the terrorists on the plane failed because of them. It is very unlikely that the majority of people on a plane are terrorists, so allowing people to carry sharp pointy things in their hand luggage should be allowed because then everyone has a weapon but the bad guys are outnumbered. Better than an Air Marshall carrying a gun that could kill them all if he fired it. Bah!