nuttynemo

PDD-NOS

we have just been inform that our son has the diagnoses of PDD-NOS

as we are in the middle of trying to get our an educational statment

in the doctors own words our sons needs are greater than most of his patients that have a full diagnoses of ASD or aspergers

can anyone advise us on where to go to get his schooling needs asessesd as of september our son has no school

nutty.nemo@ntlworld.com

hi there, my daughter is dx with PDD-NOS as well. the consultant says she has atypical autism, which in laymans terms means "not typical autism". its a classification where the child has significant difficulties, but does not tick ALL of the boxes for the other autistic spectrum disorders.

the consultant said the dx criteria is very strict and for the child to be diagnosed with a specific ASD ALL the boxes have to be ticked.

PDD-NOS is like saying ASD. I understand your frustration, my son has a dx of aspergers, he ticked the boxes, my daughter did not, even though i would say she has more complex difficulties and requires much more adult support. hope this helps :)

Him my son was also DX'd with this. Everything that I have found relating to it is usually written for professionals, and is way over my head. I'd be interested in seeing other people's responses as well.

When my daughter was diagnosed with AS the consultant said that they had discussed giving her a diagnosis of PDD-NOS but felt as she was borderline AS, a diagnosis of AS would get her more support in school. Unfortunately in our borough as soon as they hear AS they seem to think the child is "high functioning" and doesn't need support. I think if they'd gone with the PDD-NOS more help would have been forthcoming. My son also has a clear diagnosis of AS but in our opinion our daughter's needs are far more complex although she is supposedly "borderline".

Lisa

Jamie is 12 and has comepleted his first year in senior school b4 the school would admit they had a problem with him three weeks b4 for the end of last term the school dropped him to a reduced time table of two hours a day at school

does any one know where we can find a list for the LEA of requirements

for a high aheiving child with a DX of PDD NOS

Sorry, absolutely no help at all on the specifics of this. But has the Educational Psychologist been involved? If not, that would be a good place to start. Failing that, phone the Special Needs section of your local eduction autohority first thing Monday. The problem being that many people aren't going to be available until term starts. But it sounds like things have been left in a bit of a mess re his education.

hi there, you can write to the local education authority and ask for a statutory assessment. if you look on the eduction forum on here, theres lots of information and advice on doing this. you can contact ipsea and ace who will also be able to advise you on this. it might also be worth contacting the school and see if they are prepared to back you in getting him asessed to get him statemented. it does sound as if the school cannot cope with his needs if hes only attending that amount of time. you could also try education welfare.

thank you all for your reply's we are in mid asesment for a statment the LEA have until the 26th september

but until then he only has 2 hours a day in school

educational welfare are being some help but no one is in office until september

the more we look into PDD NOS the more it seemd like a very grey diagnoses

even thought they have state some of his needs are greater than that of an ASD dianosed child they will not be more specsific than that

the answer is out they we will find it one day

yeah i agree with you little nemo. its frustating isnt it. indiviualy my daughter has dyspraxia ADHD and the symptoms of an ASD. the consultant wont dx all individually because he says all the symptoms can be accounted for in the dx of PDD-NOS, even though she is treated with medication for ADHD, and has physio and occy therapy for dyspraxia!

i phoned the NAS, and the person on the phone was not helpful telling me "but your child hasnt actually got autism has she?" it seems to me to be a dx when they dont know what else to say, leaving us parents in limbo of getting services. my son on the other hand, having a full dx of aspergers, is entitled to more help and services and immediatly proffessionals know whats what. my daughter has much more difficulties than him, with home and school its not fair is it!!

I just didn't tell anyone about the PDD-NOS diagnosis, as for most people getting them to understand the complexities of the autistic spectrum is more than I can hope for. At the end of the day, the professionals need to be able to unpackage the complex needs that your son has, whatever his DX, as an individual. And as those needs differ so much from one child to the next, it is important to get him on the lists of as many relevant agencies as possible (SALT, OT, etc).

we have just been inform that our son has the diagnoses of PDD-NOS

as we are in the middle of trying to get our an educational statment

in the doctors own words our sons needs are greater than most of his patients that have a full diagnoses of ASD or aspergers

can anyone advise us on where to go to get his schooling needs asessesd as of september our son has no school

nutty.nemo@ntlworld.com

Hi nuttynemo,

I have only just read your post on return from two week hols. Been trying to remember where I recently read that PDD-NOS is not a proper diagnosis. Have found one quote

" PERSUASIVE DEVELOPMENT DISORDER - NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED

This term is more commonly used in America and like atypical autism, is often used when children do not meet all the criteria for autism. It is sometimes used with reference to children with Asperger's Syndrome, but being told a child has a PDD-NOS would be much less satisfactory and useful to parents and staff".

My son was initially dx PDD- NOS as we were told that he fitted most of the criteria but not all and we should treat him as though he had Asperger's Syndrome. We challenged this and asked how if every child is different with different needs can they fit the full criteria as written in their guidelines. The issue was that he had the same friend at school for over two years and the assessment team stated that children with AS found it difficult to form and maintain relationships. They didn't note that it was the first friendship he had had in seven years of school. The outcome was that he was given a dx of Asperger's Syndrome and High functioning Autism.

Julieann

Edited by julieann

Hello, my son was late diagnosed with AS but his sister has very similar difficulties but is sociable, I imagine this would bring her into a PDD-NOS scenario. I thought PDD-NOS meant Pervasive Developmental Disorder, the pervasive part describing how all encompassing it can be.