Sign in to follow this  
something vague

Autism friendliness

Hi everyone,

I'm writing an essay which asks me to analyse my work setting in relation to its 'autism friendliness'. I've got lots of info and know what i want to say. Just been trying to put it into words for 2 whole weeks now - the world's greatest procrastinator thats me :P Anyway I decided that i'd define autism friendliness, cant find any good refs so thought I'd ask you lot what you consider it means.

Or am I just procrastinating again :rolleyes:

SV :robbie:

Do you mean autistic people being friendly or positive attitudes towards autistic people?

Hi Bullet,

Sorry, I didnt explain myself very well I meant as in 'autism-friendly environment' or 'autism-friendly teaching'

I'm just trying to define the term and all I can come up with is that it means comfortable for autistic people or when talking about actual environments, places where an autistic person doesn't feel that there is a barrier to learning / development or enjoyment.

I was just wondering what other people would consider autism-friendly means.

SV

SV - tut, tut, tut - are you telling me that you haven't sent in your portfolio yet?

You will not get the class swot cap :lol:

I had this weekend set aside for it but realised the motogp is on so once again, I will be procrastinating (ie drinking beer and watching telly).

Love

HelenL

SV - tut, tut, tut - are you telling me that you haven't sent in your portfolio yet?

You will not get the class swot cap :lol:

I had this weekend set aside for it but realised the motogp is on so once again, I will be procrastinating (ie drinking beer and watching telly).

Love

HelenL

Hen,

I cant get past the introduction because I decided that I needed to put in a definition, silly really cos its self explanitary I suppose. I've got a brilliant plan for the rest of the essay but just cant get started :crying: .

I promised I'd get it done before this weekend so that I can spend two weeks with the family before I go back to work.

I just thought someone on here might come up with the right words for me - the right 3000 words :lol:

Good luck

SV

Why don't you carry on with the rest of the essay and sort your introduction out at the end?The body of the essay might well help you to determine the best way to introduce/define the subject.xx

Why don't you carry on with the rest of the essay and sort your introduction out at the end?The body of the essay might well help you to determine the best way to introduce/define the subject.xx

Thanks CarerQuie,

You obviously don't have the mind of a procrastinator :P

I have thought about that and its probly what i'll ultimately do - after a cup of tea perhaps :D

SV

and a biscuit - oh and then there will be the floor to sweep - and then Celebrity Love Island will be on - and then - oh well there is always tomorrow :lol:

SV - you are doing 5A - I am doing 5b but if I get anywhere near, then I will send mine to you. Did you remember to do spider diagrams :P

Love

Hen

Before you define ASD friendliness you need to state what ASD is and how it is so variable then you can go on to say that the majority of things which are conductive to ASD children also help normal child learn. Discribe environment etc.

Jen

Willingness to make adjustments and reasonable allowances based on an understanding of asd?

What does the dda say?

I would also suggest writing the main part of the essay first.

Karen

That's what I was going to say - most of my uni stuff was done by doing the intro last!

SV is hoping some one will take pity and ghost write her portfolio :lol:

We've got you sussed SV :lol:

Love

Hen

Any offers?? :pray:

Seriously, thanks for all suggestions. I always have a battle with myself before I actually get started properly. Maybe I should start with a full stop and work back from there. And now I really must go and have a bath - maybe then i'll be ready to start :D

SV

Hi everyone,

I'm writing an essay which asks me to analyse my work setting in relation to its 'autism friendliness'. I've got lots of info and know what i want to say. Just been trying to put it into words for 2 whole weeks now - the world's greatest procrastinator thats me :P Anyway I decided that i'd define autism friendliness, cant find any good refs so thought I'd ask you lot what you consider it means.

Or am I just procrastinating again :rolleyes:

SV :robbie:

Hope you enjoyed the bath - here's some refs:

Luke Beardon Autism Projects ? A Successful Model (Date unknown)

Available at http://members.tripod.com/trainland/luke.htm

The following paragraph is right near the bottom ...

The consultation process highlighted the work completed by the

project around autism service development as one of the most

tangible and useful roles that it had played. It was clear that the

developments were twofold, and that both components had equal

worth. Both areas of development were concerned with autism

? one area covered 'autism-specific' services, the other

'autism-friendly' services. The project argued very strongly that all

individuals with an autistic spectrum disorder who needed access

to a direct service would be in need of an 'autism-friendly' service

at the very least, and some would need access to an

'autism-specific' service. The term 'autism-friendly' was coined to

describe those services who were autism aware, and who could

recognise when an individual need was also a need relating to the

autism. These services could capably provide for many individuals

with autism, and many of the generic services developed

autism-friendliness over the life of the project. 'Autism-specific'

services, on the other hand, are described as those services

providing only for individuals on the spectrum, whose staff all

have specific training around autism and who are experienced in

working with this group. The consultation showed that both

autism-friendly services and autism-specific services were

necessary to provide a full and appropriate range of provision.

And then there's this blog entry about a thesis on 'autism friendly' websites

http://www.jurriaanpersyn.com/thesis/

as well as an excerpt from the intro to the thesis

http://www.jurriaanpersyn.com/archives/200...and-guidelines/

No more excuses now :D - get on with it SV! :whistle:

Oh thanks Mother Eve,

Those refs are really useful. So i reckon my work place is classed as autism specific and autism friendly - its a unit attached to a school.

I'm not going to bed till I've got this whipped into shape. I've skipped the intro and I'm actually getting somewhere now. Thanks again.

I think that you deserve some more bunnies for your boy

:robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie:

Oh i love bunnies, I do :D

Sorry, I've just got back to the computer :). Ok, this is what I'd like for Tom when he starts school:

Visual prompts to start with and later on step by step instructions written down. The teacher checking he's heard and processed everything, especially if other pupils have been talking or making a noise. Understanding that being quiet and withdrawn does not mean being ignorant or rude. Waiting for him to reply or process instructions rather than rushing him through things. Giving him the chance to sign or write things down if the words get stuck in his head (if he's communicating verbally by then). Acknowledging his strengths and not pushing him to join in with group activities. Keeping an eye out for him and not making excuses for him if he doesn't think they're needed, but working with him and supporting him.

I think that you deserve some more bunnies for your boy

:robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie::robbie:

Oh i love bunnies, I do :D

Thanks SV - I'll show him in the morning :D

We're about to get a dog ... from a rescue centre - J is sooooo happy :D

http://www.mayflowersanctuary.com/DOGS%20FOR%20REHOMING.HTM

Third one down on the right - Max :D

We're off to Newcastle tomorrow to visit the in-laws for a few days - Bliss ...I usually get a lie in when we're there - hope the essay writing goes ok :D

Bullet, Thanks for the input, I hope you get the support you describe for Tom, it sounds ideal. What I get from your post is - the need for individually tailored education and keep assessing for progression - visual prompts to written word etc. Thanks :D

Mother Eve, I was doing ok with the essay until I followed the link to the doggies. Max is lovely BTW, I used to have a dog very similar, he looks like he's got a little bit of Staffie in him. They are a very faithful breed.

And if your coming up north you could write my essay for me instead of having a lie in :P

SV

Guest hallyscomet
Any offers?? :pray:

Seriously, thanks for all suggestions. I always have a battle with myself before I actually get started properly. Maybe I should start with a full stop and work back from there. And now I really must go and have a bath - maybe then i'll be ready to start :D

SV

:lol::lol::lol: This is a great way to start :devil::lol:

One thing my sons college had to do was have a meeting with my son and talk to him as they didnt understand his world, he had so many problems going to college, in the end pulled out for a year finally, they realised they had to come up with an ASD friendly approach, or my son would never get an education; as he simply couldnt cope.

They decided they would do all the things that Bullet pointed out. Along with that, he was aloud to bring Head Phones as he hated ear plugs and listen to music, to help him with his sensory problems. They have placed him in a part of the room that has less distractions. If he is feeling overloaded he is able to go into a room to watch a video or listen to music, a quiet subdued room, a sensory room I would call it, to help him calm down.

:)

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

H.

Edited by hallyscomet