Sign in to follow this  
smiley

So proud of my water-babe!

:D I have the biggest grin on my face today :D:thumbs:

My son has lots of sensory problems (there's a thread rattling about here somewhere...). Anyhow, he wanted to go swimming today - at a big, noisy, wave machine type pool *Gulp!! :unsure: *.

I've been working on helping him recognise when things might be getting too much (v,v,v hard...) and pre-planning ahead. Basically, preparing himself if we know it will be an environment he is likely to struggle with (again....v,v,v, hard for him) - (pre-planning.....recognising when things are too much........ part of the whole AS package) - but we will get there :hypno: . Something i have begun to do, is to remove him from a potentially stressfull environmet every 20 minutes (20 mins is usually his limit..) - we find somewhere quiet(er) and just take two minutes to calm...... Being a bit of a hippy :rolleyes: i meditate - and i've been trying to teach him... :thumbs:

Put it this way - the big fun pool..... with pirate ship.... water shutes.... lots of echoing noise. We managed it - and better than that, had a great time :clap: . We chatted about it before we went... thought of ways he can let me know if he's beginning to get overloaded..... thought of things we can do if he does get overloaded and we took time out every 20 minutes and chilled B) .

For the very first time ever - he tried to swim today :D - he usually walks until he's up on his tippy toes and then panics - but he did it!!

With arm bands and lots of praise.... Wiggling his legs about with a very determinded look on his face :wub: He even jumped in... (ok, he sat on the side and slid in gently in whilst holding my hands...... :rolleyes: ).

Wow - very proud mummy moment. :D:D

Mind you.... whilst i was reading him a story at bedtime he said 'Mummy, i was very clever today at swimmin' - Am i getting a present for trying hard... :o Not silly, my boy ... :lol:

What a fantastic achievement.

Waves tend to relax children who have sensory problems it must be from all the pushing and pulling on the body. But the noise an all the people do cause problems.

Jen

Thank you >:D<<'>

He did get his present.... i caved and gave in ...... :lol:

He wanted....... a calculator :blink: - all those lovely buttons AND numbers.. fantastic! :dance::blink::lol::notworthy: