Sign in to follow this  
Fagsandbooze

my aspergers kids

Hi, I've decided to move to Germany with my partner and two sons one of whom is dx with aspergers the other almost certainly has it.

None of us can speak German. I intend to put them in school there. I'm hoping they will relish the challenge, they are extremely bright and get into so much trouble at school here, what do you think? Am I crazy?

I don't think your crazy. I can only say that 'personally' I wouldn't do it b/c T wouldn't cope.

He was in a Welsh mainstream (speaking) nursery before his HFA dx, he lasted 3mths before the school told me he'd have to leave. He was then after a LONGGG stay at home (6mths) placed into a closer English mainstream school where he has thrived with the help of an exellent ex-LSA and speech therapists.

I think that our kids have a tough enough time speaking and understanding English. As part of the LEA's National Curriculum, b/c we live in Wales, kids at school have to learn Welsh so T is now being introduced to it again but it's not as 'in your face' as a Welsh Mainstream school would be and he can go with the flow. He hated Welsh to begin with but the past few months, he has enjoyed it. T is 7yrs old.

All the very best. >:D<<'>

Hi fagsandbooze. My dd has been in Germany for the last year as part of her degree course. I will ask her if she knows anything about the school system there if you think it might help. I remember one of her German friends saying that the children start school at a later age than ours do here. Also the timing of the school day seemed to be different and there was school on Saturday morning :o I think you are brave though not mad :) My dd says that most children in Germany and of course the adults have quite a good knowledge of English, so I think they would be able to communicate with your children although obviously most of the lessons will be in German. Good luck with what ever you do >:D<<'>

Most Aspies cope very well in a foreign country. Being foreign, they will not be expected to immediately fit in and be like the other children, so they won't stand out as unusual.

Hi fagsandbooze,

We moved to France with kids aged from 9 months to 13 years. My son who I'm beginning to think has aspergers was 5 years. There were no special problems, they all rose to the challenge. But I must admit that language differences or not, my 5 yr old with aspergers was immediately recognised as being different in some way, and he was picked on. Which says more about the particular school than about moving to a foreign country. He picked up the languege at an amaeing speed, as did the others.

Wish I could say the same for me.