JenRose

M needs an operation

M needs to be circumcised.

He went to see the GP with DH a couple of weeks ago with a water infection and she told us to bring him back the following week which we did and she said she is referring him to a paed surgeon.

He has gone ballistic and says that if anyone comes near him then he will stab them. :o

A few months ago he had an operation to remove a cyst from his eye and he didnt cope very well with that, he has got to back to a childrens hospital as they were unable to get all the cyst out and he will need a further operation to do that.

Last week at a visit to the eye clinic they wanted to numb his eye and flip his eyelid over - well i dont need to tell you what he acted like, screaming and shouting and the upshot was they couldnt do it, so now he is going to need another operation to do this.

The circumcision one makes me worried more.

Has anyone had any experience of this sort of operation with their ASD child and if so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

No personal experience but I have a suggestion.If M is going to have a general anaesthetic for the eye operation see if you can negotiate to have circumcision done at the same time.The circumcision is a very quick and straightforward job-usualy done as a day case-but getting a child with asd to cooperate would be the main problem.Hence it would be worth getting the paeds organised to do both together.Also once M decides he does not like the idea it would be harder to get him to go back another time.Ben needed to have a general anaesthetic a couple of years ago to have a pop corn kernal removed from his ear-should have been a 2min casualty job.However after trips to casualty and outpatients the Dr gave up and arranged for Ben to go to day surgery unit.He still does not like anyone near his ears. :D:D Karen

India had her tonsils and adenoids out in june and she coped very well with it alla ctually,the only advice i can give you is to prepare him lots well in advance and have the promise of a treat at the end of it,we talked about indys op with her for weeks beforehand so that when the time came she knew exactly what was happening and why,it seemed to help her anyway,we also made sure the hospital staff were aware of her AS and they were brilliant with her too.good luck x

hellomy son had this done but he was only 5 moths old they say the younger they are the better its hard when they need the toilet hope all goes wellfor you jill

Hi,

My cousins' son had this done when he was 5. He has ASD. He coped really well, but kept on showing everyone his "sore willy" afterwards :oops: . It was sore for a few days but healed pretty quick.

How old is M? I ask because Kai is 8 and he's having his tonsils out next month, which i'm dreading because he says he will kill everyone at the hospital :( . I've asked for a side room so if he kicks off, it won't be in front of a big audience. He's had major bowel ops before but he was 2 and 4 years old so much easier to cope with, also they were emergencies so i didn't have time to worry about it.

I must admit, i have resorted to bribery this time, with the promise of a new train. Sometimes it's the only thing that will work with him.

Good luck,

Loulou x

Hi,

Can't really offer any good advice as I know how difficult these things can be.

Have you thought of getting a book on hospitals for him to look through. I say this because when we recently went on holiday I bought M a book on airports and it helped him to know the procedure. He took the book with him and went round with it referring to it where ever we went.

I managed at the same time of getting the airport book to get a hospital one and it is good. If you think it would help i will send you one. PM me if you would like me to.

mum22boys

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Thoughts are with you.No experiance of circumsition but my sons to have an operation on the 19th of this month im dreading it.

He has coped well in the past its me that goes to pieces..............

Hope youre sons ok and will be thinking about you...........

Just remembered something!

If you are going to give him a reward at the end make sure that he will get the reward when it's all over whether he is 'good' or 'bad', make sure he knows that, he is being rewarded for getting through it only, otherwise he will also be stressing about his behaviour losing him the reward which will make it all worse...

My son had a hernia op when little (to make him a belly button!) and tonsils / adenoids out at 4 which was tricky.

At the time we didn't have a diagnosis so obviously would handle things differently now but things that upset him were getting his BP taken (in the end they didn't do it) with the machine, getting the cream on his hands and the plaster off afterwards and the worst was that they woke him after the op before calling us to say he was out. Waking up with strangers and being groggy and sore was awful and he went absolutely hysterical, even though he'd just come round they couldn't keep him on the trolley and daddy had to carry him back to the ward. He was pretty good with the pain but had lots of painkillers - the only other problem was he flatly refused to eat afterwards so we were there long after the other children went home. A thought incase your ds has to do something (wee maybe?) before leaving - our little darlings can be much more stubborn!

Sorry don't mean to worry you - just trying to thing of things that might happen so you can tell your ds. I really think things would have been a lot better if I'd known about these things in advance and if he'd been prepared I think he'd have been a lot less scared.