Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

What would you do?

Louis has been in his school for 3 days now. As expected, at the moment he is doing ok (at home though is another matter!)

On Monday, we went into the school to buy some jumpers for him, and while there, spoke with the SNA teacher, who told us that in a couple of weeks, the kids would be going swimming once a week, and doing gymnastics (at a proper Gym) once a week. And that both of these would total their P.E. for the week.

Cut to today. We had a couple of letters home today, one to ask for permission to take the kids swimming. The other to say about Gymnastics, and that they have got a group of twelve sessions with " 'expert' tuition", and that the sessions will cost �3.33 each, and that they "need a contribution of �10.00, but more would be appreciated".

I don't feel that we should pay for these gym lessons. Am I in the wrong?

They do something similar at my kids school.We have to make a contribution , it goes towards transporting the kids to the swimming baths..............hope Louis continues to settle in well, and his placement goes o.k.............. >:D<<'> Suzex

Hi if Louis is in a state school then PE is part of the national cuuriculum so you should not have to pay extra.Our borough include swimming in years 3&4 at a local pool with coaches.Some other pe activities are also provided by coaches-football,cricket at various points in primary school.Karen

are thry aiming at the next olympics as a sylibus? tricky goes swimming once a week and i pay a volountary payment of �1 each session towards travel but i think that those fees are rather high

I don't feel that we should pay for these gym lessons. Am I in the wrong?

You're absolutely right Fiorelli. It's part of the curriculum (by their own admission 'PE') so you shouldn't pay for it.

Our primary school do Judo as part of their curriculum. We used to have to pay for this. When OFSTED visited they said no way should the parents be paying for a curriculum based regular lesson. One offs, like school trips are fine, but a weekly activity which is classed as a lesson, ie PE should come out of the school's own budget. We haven't had to pay for the Judo since the OFSTED visit.

Flora

Edited by Flora