Sign in to follow this  
DaisyProudfoot

He has to have his hair cut!

Ooohh I'm flippin mad with Martin's head teacher. :angry:

Problem: Martin's hair is long and he has grown his fringe over his eyes to reduce eye contact. Now he comes back after the hols and techer says he'll have to tie it back for PE and swimming or get it cut.

Swimming we can deal with cos he can wear a cap but PE is a bit more difficult. Any way - long story short and all that - we tried to tie it back last night and ended up with the screaming hibbie jeebies and a very upset little boy.

Speaks to techer this morning and she says she only told us because otherwise they would have to tie it back and she didn't want to have deal with one of his meltdowns "because they're not nice."

So .... off to barbers I suppose. Ho Hum

Would that come under disability discrimination??? I'm not sure..?? Reasonable allowances...

I know that schools have had to get very ridgid on certain things for health and saftely reasons (so he doesn't get his hair caught in something - and you sue them...). Would you be able to write a letter, giving him permission to wear hair down and you'll take responsibility for anything that happens?? Something along those lines? During the summer, little monkey has to have suncream put on 20 minutes befor he goes in the sun (very, very fair). The school agreed to put it on for him - only if i wrote saying i was happy for that to happen - get's them of the hook IYSWIM.

Hi

I've had the same problem with my son. he hates getting his hair cut. I decided that leaving it to get long was best - to show him that long hair gets in your eyes, can be itchy/irritating, etc. It worked. Don't know how long your son's hair has been long - may be he likes it. Stuff the teacher!

Caroline

I tried to get my eldest 2's hair cut today. Eldest was fine, middle lad (AS) kept moaning about stuff, then wouldn't get it cut at all, so it got left. I had hoped when S had his cut D would be ok about it, but no :(.The hairdresser was fine, I did mutter sorry to him at the end. it wasn't a book apointment, just a barbers where you wait your turn place, so at least there was soembody else there ready. I do partly blame myself though, they had bopth been overdue a cut, I normally cut it myself, but wasn't sure where the hair cutters were, so as they were both going out tonight it was a quick nip to the barbers. Oh well, I shall ahve to find the cutters & do D's soon, but with a bit more prep for him that I am going to do it.

I think that the school is out of order - some people take 'health & safety' to extremes. Surely he could use a cap/hat or hair net(lol) during certain lessons PE,/science. There are bound to be girls with hair the same length - are they forced to have a haircut?

Maybe the thought of wearing an Ena Sharples net might enourage your lad to get i tcut.

Mike

My boy was the same. He said cutting will hurt. So now we go and get his hair trimmed. We also trim his nails never cut :blink: . Mind we don't use the hair clippers as he doesn't like the sound of those, so his hair isn't very short but it looks okay.

Gardenia

We reached a compomise. He had his fringe cut and left the length - now looks like that little kid out of the original Battlestar Galactica series - the one with the Daggart.

I bought him a swimming cap which he tried on and hated :( so it's back to school tomorrow and see what HT says then.

Had a right argy bargy on the Saturday morning distinguishing between a hair cut and a fringe cut but got there in the end. :D