PW66

Social Stories

Hi all, hope this is ok to post this here.

While looking for some help sites for a someone else, I cam across some good Social Stories sites, with good examples, which can be used as is, or adapted to fit you.

http://www.frsd.k12.nj.us/autistic/Social%...ial_stories.htm

http://rsaffran.tripod.com/social.html#The%20stories

Also when you register at this site http://www.sandbox-learning.com/?gclid=COH...CFQJPQgodnHkoUQ, you can customise and get a free social story about waiting - I've passed this one one to school, and they love it and are looking at other stories to purchase.

Hope these help someone.

Paula

That's a good website thank you for sharing, I've downloaded the free story and I think it will be quite helpful for G. x

hi there, some really good examples there, i may well use some of those!! just to make a point, i was not sure about the second link. some of the social stories there seemed a little harsh and negative, however im no expert, for example, the one thats for "laziness" i would be interested in hearing what others think about that though.

i keep hearing about social stories but dont know what they are,can anyone explain?can they be used with nt children as well?

hi there, some really good examples there, i may well use some of those!! just to make a point, i was not sure about the second link. some of the social stories there seemed a little harsh and negative, however im no expert, for example, the one thats for "laziness" i would be interested in hearing what others think about that though.

Anything that talks about recovering a child makes me very :angry: That second website sounds very much like dog training (aka ABA) and just reinforces everything I dislike about ABA. So much about forcing a child to fit in and behave how their NT parents want them to and so little actually understanding autism. This so-called social story about My Hands made me want to :crying:

I went on a Help2 seminar about Social stories and these most definitely aren't. Social stories aren't meant to be a rule book or a manual of how to behave but a way to explain a situation to a child. You can only use statements that are factually true for the child (so 'I like having friends' might be true from the parent's or therapists persepctive but not necessarily the child's) and shouldn't use always or never or be too prescriptive as a more rigid child might follow it to the letter. In fairness there is a disclaimer that these arne't social stories as per Carol Gray but still I don't like a lot of them :(

Lx

hi liz, i had similar thoughts as well. i totaly agree with everything you are saying, especially the bit where you say about trying to cure the child and make them NT. sorry OP, i didnt mean to hyjack your post at all, there are some really good examples on the other two sites there.