Sign in to follow this  
Athena

When to submit Parental Views to LEA

The school are going to apply for Statutory Assessment after half-term. Hooray!!! :thumbs:

I know that the LEA will ask for our parental views on DD, so to get ahead of the game, I have typed out 10 pages, which I was going to give to the school to submit with the request for assessment.

My thinking being that if they refuse to assess, my parental views will be submitted to the appeals tribunal (I will DEFINITELY go to appeal if they refuse!) :ninja:

Is there any reason not to send them in as part of the request for assessment? My only thought being that it will give the LEA longer to try to take my case apart.....

The school are going to apply for Statutory Assessment after half-term. Hooray!!! :thumbs:

I know that the LEA will ask for our parental views on DD, so to get ahead of the game, I have typed out 10 pages, which I was going to give to the school to submit with the request for assessment.

My thinking being that if they refuse to assess, my parental views will be submitted to the appeals tribunal (I will DEFINITELY go to appeal if they refuse!) :ninja:

Is there any reason not to send them in as part of the request for assessment? My only thought being that it will give the LEA longer to try to take my case apart.....

Hi there we are just starting the process of a Statutory assessment for our 2.5 year old son who is showing all the signs of a ASD when we recieved our letter yesterday what they want to start with is your views on your child so we have included the following information Our childs birth and his first few months of life and any problems he had, any help or advice that was given early on, the childs health eating, sleeping, illnesses, physical skills, communication,personal skills,behaviour,relationships, social skills, and why we think that the assessment needs to be made and then we have to send it back and then they have 6 weeks to decide whether they go ahead with the statement which hoping that they do they will write to us and Liams nursery asking for written statements about him. In my opnion and from what I have read the more information the better as you have to really fight to get the assessment done , but as the school is requesting it that sounds hopeful.

Good Luck

A and A

If you have it ready send it in.

In theory it shouldn't make any difference, but if the school have not got quite enough evidence it'll help with the decision.

Hi.I think some LAs ask for parental views very early on.Others ask for more detail once they have agreed to assess.

The LA should write to say that they have been asked to consider whether to undertake a Statutory Assessment.So you could send the information once you have recieved this letter.

Just one hint whatever you decide to do.

I have learned never to rely on the school to send anything to the LA .I always hand deliver to the town hall or correspond directly via Email..I have learned that it is not worth the risk of leaving information to be passesd on by school.So it may be worth either hand delivering the information or posting it if your postal service is reliable.

.You could always give school a copy and send a duplicate yourself

These links may both be helpful.Karen.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1763&a=3232

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-educ...-assessment.htm

Edited by Karen A

or posting it if your postal service is reliable.

You can send it recorded delivery, so you get a receipt saying it was received. If you deliver it by hand, still get a receipt to say it was received. It is amazing how many things get "lost"!

You can send it recorded delivery, so you get a receipt saying it was received. If you deliver it by hand, still get a receipt to say it was received. It is amazing how many things get "lost"!

Have you come across my story.

I was about to collect Ben from school.

Recieved a card from the post offfice asking me to collect a letter from the post office.

Collected Ben from school.

Took Ben to postal delivery office.

Obtained letter having payed 90 pence in postage because the sender had not put a stamp on the letter.

The sender was the head teacher writing to tell me how long she had to respond to my written complaint. :o:o:wacko::D

Thank you for your replies - I will send it in with the schools request for statutory assessment.

Karen A - that's terrible about the Head teacher not putting a stamp on the letter!

Thanks for the links, very helpful.

A and A - good luck to you, will be looking out for news.

So fingers crossed and I will let you know how it goes.

Request for statutory assessment has been submitted, together with my parental views! Yay! :D

Had a phone call from the LEA, telling me who my named Officer is and they commented that my comments were "very comprehensive".

Maybe this is code for "Wow, there is too much information here for us to ignore"! Hope so....

I am feeling a little foolish, as the LEA person caught me on the hop, when she asked me why I wanted a statement, I could only splutter about having DD properly assessed, so that the school could provide for her educational needs, splutter, splutter. I didn't expect them to phone me and ask me why I wanted a statement!!!

Person on the phone said that SEN funding was delegated to schools, that they expected schools to be able to meet all but very exceptional SEN needs from their own budgets and that Statements were now only for really severe cases, such as very physically disabled children.

Are phone calls like this normal practice? :unsure: