Sign in to follow this  
forbsay

Rights of Working Parents.

Hello

Sorry in for a moan here - feel as though I am going to explode.

My little girl (2.5 yrs old) had to be taken to A&E last month as she had a really high temperature - turned out that she had a chest infection. Well she started coughing etc again on Friday/Saturday. Sunday, I was really worried about her - but gave her some calpol and she was a bit better. Stayed off work on Monday (my work were fine). Phoned them yesterday afternoon and said I would be off today as she was still not well and not really eating. She was alot better today but I thought I'd take her to the dr so see about her cough. Turns out she has got an ear infection and another chest infection. Got some medicine and the dr told me to come back in a couple of days if she is not any better. Phoned my work to say that I would be off tomorrow and gave my reason. Previously I had asked for the days that I have been off as unpaid (i am losing about ?100 but my kids come first). She then said that unpaid leave is for exceptional circumstances and i would have to take the days off as holidays. She then said that I could let her know about tomorrow and I told her that she can put the days in as holidays as I will not be at work. All in all, it means that i have 3 days left for the entire year ( i get 22 days including public holidays) It is just a joke - I am not happy with my work at all........................... The manager then started banging on about alternative childcare - my parents look after my asd son after school for 3 days. My mum has asthma and there is no way that i would ask her to look after my wee girl as that is just asking for trouble if my mum got a chest infection. Manager then asked if my husband could look after her - i replied that my husbands work is a nightmare for getting time off. On Wednesdays, I only 4 works and it does not take 2 adults to stay off to look after her.

I am totally raging!

:ph34r:

Forbsay

x

My employer is a lot like that.

And the moral of the story is . . . next time, tell them you are sick.

Edited by Tally

Right - ring your employer back - or the personnel department if they have one - and reclaim your holiday: :)

Rights of working parents

Working parents have the following legal rights:

• paid and unpaid maternity leave
  • paid paternity leave
  • paid and unpaid adoption leave
  • to request flexible working hours
  • unpaid parental leave for parents of children under five
  • unpaid time off to care for dependants
from: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/n6m/index/li...hts_at_work.htm

In addition, almost all employees have a right to take time off work, although not necessarily with pay, for the following:- (not sure whether the time off is per year or the whole time before your child reaches the specific age...)

• to participate in trade union activities
  • to perform 'public duties', for example, being a JP, local authority councillor or school governor
  • to care for their children. People who have worked for their employer for one year have the right to unpaid parental leave. You are entitled to 13 week's unpaid leave before your child is five. However, if your child is disabled, you get 18 week's leave which must be taken before the child is 18.
  • to attend to unexpected problems with dependants, for example, where child minding arrangements break down. A dependant includes anyone who reasonably relies on the employee
same website - just a different page, about a third of the way down: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/n6m/index/li...m#Time_off_work Edited by MotherEve

Hey Eve

That information's fantastic.

Daisy

I'm like a Magpie :) - tucking info away in case it comes in useful ... [or should that be a squirrel? :lol: ]

Hi

Don't think I am entitled to this. Just checked company policies and it is in only exceptional circumstances that unpaid leave will be granted.

Thanks for looking this up for me Mother Eve - really appreciate it.

Forbsay

x

forbsay,

I think you will find you are entitled to this. There is legislation to protect carers who are in work.

You can find more information here.

http://www.cafamily.org.uk/employment.html

If you would like support dealing with this issue you could contact

your local Citizens Advice Bureau

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/

or The Princess Royal Trust for Carers.

http://www.carers.org/

Nellie xx

Forbsay

My understanding of this is that ALL working parents are entitled to this.

Your company may not include it in their policies & they may also dispute the fact, but keep pushing them cos I think you will find that they are just "trying it on".

Your employer has to allow you time off if it falls within the law. Are you a member of a trade union? If not, now would be a good time to join. Even if you're not a member, a union rep may be able to tell what you're entitled to.

You don't work for Sir Ken, do you, because it is a lot like him to have this kind of policy?

Right - there are two separate things here ...

FAMILY EMERGENCY? YOUR RIGHT TO TIME OFF

http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/timeoff.htm

This says that there is no required time of service - it can be taken from day one of your job and relates to emergencies which cover your household and its members - won't work for broken - down boliers [no MIL jokes please!] etc - only humans... more details on the FAQs ... http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/faqs.htm

The new right to time off for dependants came into effect on 15 December 1999!

This is the right that you have for your particular situation ...

Changes to the right were introduced on 10 January 2002, which benefit parents of disabled children and parents of children aged under 5 on 15 December 1999 ie the PARENTAL LEAVE issue which is what I highlighted the other day ... which has a qualifying period of one year with the employer

Summary at http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/intguid1.htm

which is a bit like maternity leave - usually pre-arranged with the employer

Parents of disabled children have the flexibility to take leave a day at a time or longer if they wish. [A disabled child is a child for whom disability living allowance is awarded.]

It's up to you how much you want to tackle your employer over this but their company policies need updating and rewriting - IMHO! :D

Edited by MotherEve

Hi

I will phone the citizen advice bureau and take it from there. I am not feeling very strong at the moment........................

I am not in a trade union. In the past my work have been absolutely unbelievable -it would make your hair curl! I have only worked there for 10 years! Though I have seen the job of my dreams so am going to apply for it!

Thanks for your all help.

Forbsay

xx

I will phone the citizen advice bureau and take it from there. I am not feeling very strong at the moment........................

Be easy on yourself and pick your battles ... >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Though I have seen the job of my dreams so am going to apply for it!

Hope you get it! :)

Hi

Spoke to CAB and my work are breaking the law as per the Employment Act re dependants.

She said to go to HR on Monday and speak to them. If no joy, then I should raise a grievance - if still no joy then I should go to a tribunal..................

Thanks for all your help

Forbsay

xx

My work say I have to "make the time back up" I know it's rubbish and what my rights actually are - but it's hard fighting all the time.

Glad you got your hols back.

Edited by OPooh

Hi

Well just to let you all know that I got my holidays back :dance::dance:

Thanks for all your help

Forbsay

xx

Excellent result! :dance::dance:

My work say I have to "make the time back up" I know it's rubbish and what my rights actually are - but it's hard fighting all the time.

Hope you manage to sort them out Opooh :pray:

Hope you manage to sort them out Opooh :pray:

I only work during school hours and my dh only works 3 shifts a week...so I do extra time out of school hours when he's home.

:dance: Well done forbsay!

chancing gits. As if we don't have enough to fight for!! :fight: