Mannify

Good music for masking snoring?

You ever tried making music in your head out of sounds you can hear?

So like at night there's breathing for example that can provide the beat as its steady and regular enough.

Someone else snoring can be part of the tune.

If you make a noise with your hands (this can be soft noises cuz at night you can hear it) as a bass line

And then what I do is add an accompaniment in my head.

It doesn't exactly make the noises go away, but it can lighten the stress sometimes by adding humour or a focus to my thought patterns.

Cuz the sounds aren't going to go away, so maybe you can find a way of playing with them instead of them driving you insane.

Just a thought that might prod your imagination a little

Darkshine

Well, it might work in terms of preventing me from becoming a homicidal psychopath, but I'm not sure where sleep comes in. But you're focussing on the 'homicidal psychopath' bit, aren't you? Coz sometimes you do have to expect that sleep ain't gonna happen and you have to prioritise not murdering anyone. Sure, ok, I'll give it a go.

It reminds me a bit of how I used to cope with noisy eating as a kid (and still do if I'm desperate). I used to rest my head on one hand and press that bit of my ear in that can cover the ear-hole if you press it (and that Robert would be able to name) with my finger and then scratch or tap the nail of that finger with my other nail (do you follow?). The noise was loud and personal enough to cancel out noises to some extent, and it would work with just one hand, so it didn't look like I was putting my hands over my ears, which would have been a bit provocative, really, and possibly not as effective.

Yeah its really difficult to eat with your hands held over your ears :lol:

And yep, I was thinking of imaginative yet potentially calming ways of coping with the snoring rather than homicidal options, and you never know, if you can relax, you might find yourself feeling like you can go to sleep.

My suggestion is technically a distraction, but I'm just trying to get you to think about what you could do to lessen the stress and anxiety you are feeling because in my opinion that seems worse than the snoring itself.

The road I live next to is really ###### to live next to, its one of the main routes for emergency vehicles, the traffic noise continues all day and then less frequently at night, although at night it sounds louder and you never know when a lorry or car will go past. And I know from experience that if I obsess and focus on it more, it winds me up and my mental health deteriorates, I can't make the road go away, so I have to live with it, and the best way of doing so is finding methods to reduce the negative emotions and feelings it provokes in me.

Like now, I'm sitting here with music on a little louder than I'd have the tv on, and every car that goes past seems almost as loud as the music - In fact I have a rubbishy decibel meter on my phone, I wouldn't trust it too much but I've just messed with it and it says 50-55 dB for the music and for the traffic - which is light right now (no emergency vehicles or lorries or motorbikes) it peaks at 74 dB and for the slow cars is around 66 dB. And snoring I did take a reading from that once and that was about 76 and it was loud snoring and the sample taken at close range lol, and opening a packet of crisps was 80 something, but just cuz a sound is loud, doesn't mean that you need something louder to beat it.

Its part of why I have a dvd on at night, because the mumble of voices is a constant thing that makes the traffic noise seem a lot less invasive when for instance some dickhead on a limited 50cc scooter goes past - which sounds like a super loud hairdrier at the best of times but really annoying at night, and there's also someone who skateboards past some nights at about 2 am. The dvd makes that invasion of sound less invasive because it isn't coming out of silence, and the noise of the dvd returns afterwards - by noise I mean both the volume of the tv - which is really low - but also the whirring of the dvd player spinning the disk, its constant and familiar to me and even if I can't hear what people are saying on the tv, I can hear the disk spin.

In all honesty the road I live next to is like having a constant grinding on my nerves whenever I'm home, which is a lot, and because I am aware of it all the time, the only thing that beats it is music at full blast but I can't do that permanently, the traffic noise shatters my thoughts and it gives me little peace, and you can hear it everywhere in the house and garden, the only escape is loud music or walking into the countryside, so like I said, I try to cope, and part of that is an acceptance and then finding a sort of relaxed element to that, and then I find I can think of things that allow me some minimal respite so that although I can hear the traffic, I can have some degree of sanity to do things.

It's difficult, I won't deny it, because my instinctive and reactive response is a feeling of intense frustration and anger - but you know what? The traffic don't care. So I might as well not bother cuz it only makes life hell, takes away the quality of my sleep, makes me on edge and anxious, and I find that even though I really do hate the noise of that road, I can live with it, at a cost yeah, but I can live and through spending time coming up with stuff to help me cope I find I can function.

Just a few thoughts :D

Woah! I slept for five unbroken hours last night! Don't know what that was about. Normally, having gone to bed between 12and 1, I wake up at 4 (no idea what's so special about 4) snoring or no snoring, and then the existence or absence of snoring dictates whether I get to go back to sleep, and recently the snoring has generally won out. But last night I didn't wake up 'til 5:30, and there was no snoring, so I went back to sleep again for a while. Life's so random, ain't it? :D

Yeah its really difficult to eat with your hands held over your ears

The thing about the eating noises is that I would do my best not to eat while such noises were being made - just a bean here and a kernel of sweetcorn there until the others finished, and I would eat then, and I did my scratchy nail thing in the interim.

I've never lived next to such a busy road. Must be a right bummer :wallbash: You're right that psychology plays a huge part, coz a lot of people would find the snoring barely perceptible. It's loud, but our guest sleeps on the first floor, whereas I'm on the second floor, so the snoring is not intrusive enough to be a problem for most people, but i) I really am more intolerant than most of the slightest hint of snoring, and ii) the circumstance under which I am subjected to the snoring is an issue, and has no definable terminus. I think the second aspect is making me particularly resistant to solutions. But, as you say, I'm only making myself suffer, really. It would help loads if I could attain your level of objectivity with regard to the traffic; I mean if I could do that generally it would really help, even beyond the issues surrounding the guest. I have with some things - I mean if you could hear my kids eat...

One night I tried to find a 'relaxed element' to my snoring sensitivity because the iPad wasn't charged, so I thought I'd try to get by without it, but I gave up and ended up stalking around the house trying to find the charger. I really wish I could just defeat my own sllly self :wallbash: . Coz my husband snores, and I know that I'm the problem more than his snoring (but I can prod him). Like I say, the circumstances surrounding the current snoring issue are particularly prohibitive in finding that 'relaxed element', but maybe I should grow up a bit, lol, and get on with it, because, as you say, who am I hurting here?

I think that music has to remain part of the equation (yeah, still NIN :rolleyes: - best 'coverage'), but beyond that it has to be me. I know that, really, but then when I'm confronted with it I'm rubbish again. But it's probably a good thing to reassess myself and stop getting so hett up at externals, though. I'll try. And I need to get a music pillow, lol. Haven't got around to getting that yet.

Don't beat yourself up, try things out and stuff and have a mess around and find out what works for you - I have my things, yours might be different.

I'm sitting in the same room as last time and the music is louder and I still hear the road and I won't lie - I'm tense - but I'm human and today I notice it more,and I know why too - I had an appointment and freaked out over a stopwatch - I'm tired mentally from walking home and I'm getting hungry, as I rest, eat and recharge it will get less stressful.

Everything I do regarding sleep has come from trying things out, some things work, others don't - I know I a very small part of me doesn't like that I have a dvd on because part of me feels that its childish to want the noise and the flickering light from the picture on the tv - but it doesn't matter, it helps so I don't see the need to suffer unnecessarily, so I have it on cuz sleeping shouldn't be a battle.

You know what? I don't have a great sleep pattern, and its slipped this week, but I never have had, even as a kid, and during my 20's I was plagued by insomnia including issues with sounds - and I worked out what helps me, it doesn't work every night, but its so much better. I'd recommend trying the pillow or trying out stuff with music - or whatever else you think of and give things a go, some things work instantly once and then stop working, others seem to not work but over time they start too, so it needs patience, and personally I try not to write things off, if it doesn't work I put the idea to one side and try it again later.

Try and relax about sleep stuff - because levels of tension really don't help and it takes time to relax when you are short of sleep, I know it does cuz it took me about 6 years to start to find some degree of it - and its taken a few more to hold it better!! And experiment with stuff that might help!! ;)

Well there is another way, but I would guess it would wake up the snorer and I did it once where I used to live to a noisy little sod in the flat downstairs who was thinking he was a DJ with his decks, his parents were away and it was too loud. Of course his parents knew he was too loud because they had received so many complaints about it, but when the cat is away, the mice will play and it was on that evening I was so incensed because from the flat down stairs we had to raise voices in our flat upstairs just to talk and the tv, his noise drowned that out as well and he carried on late into the night him with no job to go to. Oh and environmental health, when they turned up it was always quiet.

So what I did, was I pulled a 5 KG Kango rotary hammer out of the cupboard and if anyone knows them, the K950 a medium demolition breaker designed for hammering brick walls down, I inserted a chisel, placed a block of dense wood and the telephone book on the floor over the little scrote's room and turned thing on and hammered the floor. There was a crash and the noise stopped, so I stopped and sheepishly put the breaker away.

Well over the next few days we heard from the parents what they had come back to for they told us his music was so loud the ceiling had collapsed, and the kid, well youth about 17 was so impressed his music brought the ceiling down, his parents told him to sell his decks and amplifier to pay for the damage.

Oops.

But never over annoy an aspie, for we can be a bit extreme when pushed.

But never over annoy an aspie, for we can be a bit extreme when pushed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try and relax about sleep stuff - because levels of tension really don't help and it takes time to relax when you are short of sleep, I know it does cuz it took me about 6 years to start to find some degree of it - and its taken a few more to hold it better!! And experiment with stuff that might help!!

I guess I'm catching up where my own issues are concerned because externals really were the issue for so many years i.e. one kid who went to sleep really late, one kid who woke up early, and one kid who woke up for breastfeeding intermittently, meaning that sleep only occurred at best at two hour intervals between 12 and 5. During that time I had a 50/50 chance of waking up with a headache, plus I did some pure all-nighters doing my degree. So now, finally, it's down to me (apart from the current acute snoring crisis, lol), and, like you say, I guess it will take time. But I think my sleep issues are ultimately not as profound as your traffic and sleep issues, so if you can find a way (albeit a tenuous, ever-shifting way) then I have every hope that I can :) .

I've been challenging myself to be more relaxed about the snoring, but it seems exceptionally loud tonight, unnaturally so. Do I get a dispensation for that?

Seriously, I know I said that it's barely perceptible, but tonight it isn't. I doubt the neighbour's sleeping through this. Considering getting up and writing the night off completely as far as sleep is concerned. Coz it's 2:40ish, but there's not the slightest indication that the snoring is gonna subside any time soon.

Sorry all, I know it's a bit navel-gazey to go on like this :oops: , and on normal nights I'll go back to improving my tolerance, but tonight's just a right-off. :wallbash: . Sorry.

I'm apologising to anyone who may be reading, for the sheer and utter tedium of my self-angst over bloomin' snoring, of all the bloomin' things. It's just that sometimes, somehow, it helps to post my annoyance on here. But why I should inflict it on everyone, I've no idea. It's just snoring, for goodness' sake!

And maybe to myself for being so ridiculous. And maybe, too, being tired and stressed in the night makes me more apologetic than usual by default, and maybe that doesn't even need a specific audience. Something like that, anyway. :unsure:

Edited by Mannify

I wouldn't apologise, people can either read this stuff or not, it doesn't matter either way.

I think getting up for a bit when I can't sleep helps, sometimes it makes me more tired and then I can sleep, but sometimes I feel like I'm taking control and I feel less stressed because its better to be doing something than laying there getting tense with a racing mind.

You ever tried earplugs? ;)

I feel your pain Mannify.

Thanks, Raydon ;)

I wouldn't apologise, people can either read this stuff or not, it doesn't matter either way.

I was just tired and fragile, that's all.

You ever tried earplugs?

Yeah, years ago. Similar to ear phones, can't stand 'em.

I'm just a grumpy cow. :lol: