• Announcements

• Kris

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team
lizzy-wilson

...Online bullying --- when will it stop?

Last night, I was doing my daily check on Facebook (Basically to have a neb to see what's going on) and one of my friends who I have known since she was a baby had been tagged in a photo, not in person but her name and been tagged;

I have seen in the past, previous comments and have been appalled to read what has been said about her; She doesn't really help herself but she is just a human being like the rest of us. Anyway, I decided last night that enough was enough and I would comment as the things being said were horrible, she was being called a 'mong' 'freak' 'fatso' and many other things.

They really didn't seem bothered that this person had feelings. I told them that they should be ashamed of themselves and haven't they got anything better to do. I was very annoyed that kids can get away with things like this as it happens on these social networks, schools aren't picking up on things like this and I can't believe parents aren't doing anything to stop their children. It disgusts me as to what kids now our days are doing and are getting away with! It should be stopped.

I may be speaking out of place there but somethings not right and it should be stopped sooner rather than later.

I would hate for something to happen to this poor girl as I said, I've know her for...god...getting on 14 years now although I haven't seen her for a couple of years, I still know her.

Rant over.

does not work like that robert.

its awful it should not have happened. I have been bullied online, unfornate that i have to be bullied all my life and can tell u it can make you ill. which did with me and i had a mental breakdown by the age of 17 and went psychotic

There just keyboard warriors, and just type to let of steam. im sure there is some gadget out there that can pick up IP adresses. if not just laugh it off, and confront them 1on1 when the oppertunity arises.

Gold MD   

I've been put through a lot of this online bullying stuff as well. I know first hand how it feels to be the victim of repeated cyber harassment, which is hard to deal with due to the anonymity trolls possess behind their screens. They've even gone as far as making an Encyclopedia Dramatica page about me, full of lies. Yeah, it's truly sad that people with no lives do this to hurt people.