Sign in to follow this  
bid

New cat...

Woo hoo!!

Tomorrow we are going to get our new rescue cat :clap:

Now, I haven't had a cat since I was a child, so I've been looking on-line at various sites.

I've seen little padded cat beds...but do cats actually use them?? I think they look cosy, but I do remember our cats at home turning up their noses at a bed my mum made for them :lol:

I want the cat to feel secure, but I don't want to buy something that won't be used :unsure:

What do all you cat owners think?

I need to make a decision quickly as I've got to rush out before work to get all the stuff we will need :wacko:

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

in all honesty bid, if i were you i would get a cardboard box and cut the front down to make it bedlike pop an old cushion or blankie in it, put the food next to it so it feels that's its territory.

or ask at rescue what its been using to sleep on. the thing is knowing cats it'll do pretty much what it likes when it likes. but they do like the sheepskin like beds as all animals seem to like that feeling of furry comfortableness

bid... I agree with Mrs P... don't spend money on a bed... the cat will sleep where it decides and usually not in these expensive pet shop versions. :rolleyes:

If you want to invest in insomething.... get one of those cat scratching things... they DO use them and it stops them from clawing your furniture and carpets.

Hope your new addition settles in well... what it's name???

Flo' :D

Bid,

Dont waste money on expensive cat beds. I can guarantee that in a few days time your new moggy will have happily found its fav place to sleep - on your pillow! Get used to waking up with a mouth full of fur!! :D Having said that ours always liked the fleecy beds that you attach to radiators too.

SV

I've had cats all my life and they have always loved a warm soft place to snooze. If you let your moggy she'll prefer your bed and the best chair in the lounge. :D Cats can turn away from a cat bed if it has a strange smell. The best way to get them to accept a bed is to place an old pillow case or cloth where they have already slept on top. My two "babies " have a padded bed next to the window and they love it! Beds hanging over the radiator are also irresistible for them .

Have lots of fun with your new cat!!

>:D<<'> Curra

The first law of feline behaviour: find out what your humans want you to do, and do the exact opposite. :devil:

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a bed. We've never bought anything like this. Your cat will find somewhere he/she feels comfortable and it might be the most illogical place, a narrow windowsill, draped across the back of a sofa, on top of the Sunday Times or on the jumper you were going to wear to work tomorrow. :rolleyes:

They're all different, but our cat seems to prefer rough textures and natural fibres with a coarse feel. She sleeps on top of canvas rucksacks and likes a particular bobbly jumper of mine. She's also adopted a thick wool shawl - wherever I put it she'll lie on it, but she's never really had her own bed. In summer she likes to sleep outside on the twigs and leaves at the bottom of the garden.

I'm sure your cat will soon settle in. Many cats like to sleep on beds - if you don't like this idea make sure you establish the "out of bounds" areas from the beginning.

Look forward to meeting him/her. :wub:

K x

Edited by Kathryn

We've just bought our new cat home! :D

She's called April, and she's about 4 years old. She's white with black patches, pink ears and a little pink nose :wub:

She's absolutely gorgeous, very placid and affectionate.

Awwwwwwww Bless :wub: She sounds adorable, hope you have many happy years together.

I have to ask........why April? Haven't you noticed, it's September!! :D

Nellie xx

She's a rescue cat, so that was her name already.

At the moment she's hiding under the sink in the kitchen, and Jester is on his tummy trying to coax her out! :ph34r::wub:

And he's the one who doesn't even really like cats!! :lol:

Four hours later, and Jester had to take the work surface off as she had climbed up behind the back of the adjacent cupboard and was sitting on the water pipes!! :o:shame::lol:

She's curled up on the settee now, purring away being 'loved' by my littlies! :wub:

Four hours later, and Jester had to take the work surface off as she had climbed up behind the back of the adjacent cupboard and was sitting on the water pipes!! :o:shame::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Thanks for that - been a bit of a dire weekend - needed a laugh

hi

ive got a cat and bought a fluffy basket for him years ago ................but he dont bother with it...........he now sleeps on my bed with me most nights.......... :lol: which is ok as long as hes not got fleas..............and them flea drops cost a bomb from the vets...frontline... :lol:

my cat was a stray which i rescued -was living in a skip and seeping on old materesses,hes called fatty and ive had him 7 years now...........hes been through thick and thin with me ...........bless x

April seems to want to explore every corner and possible hiding place in her new home. If she's already purring on the settee then she has certainly given her approval of her new humans :lol::lol: She sounds totally irresistible.

Hope you have many years of joy with her. Mine are 12 and 11 years old and still playful like kittens :wub:

hi

ive got a cat and bought a fluffy basket for him years ago ................but he dont bother with it...........he now sleeps on my bed with me most nights.......... :lol: which is ok as long as hes not got fleas..............and them flea drops cost a bomb from the vets...frontline... :lol:

my cat was a stray which i rescued -was living in a skip and seeping on old materesses,hes called fatty and ive had him 7 years now...........hes been through thick and thin with me ...........bless x

RQ

Have you tried to place the basket somewhere else? My cats don't like their bed when it's on the floor or where they feel too exposed to people touching them. I placed it on a high place at the end of a windowsill and they spend most of the day there. Maybe they like being in control! :lol::lol:

Purrs to Fatty :wub:

Now she's discovered the airing cupboard, so haven't seen her all day!! :crying::lol:

Also, she's eating hardly anything...is this normal while she settles in??

And what does it mean when they purr but also flick their tail?? :o

She's very neat, and uses the litter tray during the night :wub:

Edited by bid

Hi Bid,

Tail flicking - means your cuddly little pet is about to turn into a homicidal furball. :devil: All the cats I've had flick their tails when they were irritated or about to attack something - playfully or for real. Sometimes I've known them do this when they've had a bit too much attention and want you to back off for a bit. In time you'll learn the language of your cat. Tail flicking and purring - that's a new one! :huh:

Not eating - it could be part of settling in. Are you feeding her the same kind of food she was used to before? Try smaller amounts more often - cats can be quite fussy if something has been left out for a while. Try different brands and flavours. Our cat clearly shows a preference for some foods over others. Is her food area in a fairly quiet place where she won't be disturbed?

The airing cupboard - you can trust a cat to seek out the warmest place. :lol::wub:

Jill x

Just wanted to ask.A bit off topic I know.Not liking changes in routine,preference for certain textures,dislike of too much noise and stimulation,reluctance to try new foods-??? Do some or all cats have some aspie traits? Or is it learned cat behaviour ? Has anyone researched this ? :D:D:D Karen

Funny you should say that. :) There's a new book coming out called All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome by Cathy Hoopman. "A playful look at Asperger syndrome drawing inspiration from the feline world" according to the review. It looks interesting. I might get it.

More info here

K x

We had a cat who purred and flicked his tail when he was indecisive about something - usually whether to jump and grab your arm or jump and grab your leg :lol:

He was crackers he was, right up to being 13 when we sadly lost him to leukemia.

The cat I have now usually flicks his tail and purrs when he's eating - his favourite passtime. :lol:

Isn't there a book called "all cats have AS" or something.

Ours hates any kind of bed, he just goes from place to place - under the bed, in the wardrobe, dining room chair. That's when he comes in of course, he treats the place like a hotel and only comes in when it's feeding time.

My old cat, had one of those bed things you put on the radiator - like made of sheepskin that hangs over the top of the radiator - he loved that. Although thats more a winter thing.

Hi Bid,

Hope your little kitty is settling in well (she sounds very sweet). My 2 have just got used to our new house. As for cat beds i think they're a waste of money. However, i got one of those cat "duvets" from a pet superstore, and my timid cat likes to sleep on it under my bed. She purrs to herself all night, so it's a bit annoying! The other cat has made a bed for herself on one of my boxes of stuff i haven't unpacked yet. As soon as i get the shelves up she'll have to find a new sleeping place!

The only proper cat "accessory" i bought was a scratching post, which one of my cats uses, the other one prefers the laundry bin!

Loulou xx