brooke

packed lunch

The plot thickens...

J came home from school yesterday, telling me that the Head's informed the school that they are low on lunchtime supervising staff and they might have to stop packed lunches altogether. Now THAT will be interesting!

Karen

x

When my daughter was younger we were under the hospital as she wasnt growing very well- while being investigated for all sorts we had to take her to see a dietician. Said dietician was a nice enough lady but seriously overweight! We were told by the doctors and dietician to give her sausages and other fatty foods- we were concerned that she would then only want those type of foods - they told us not to worry about it! Thankfully she was ok and only had anemia the cause of which was possibly her eating too many milky products - and I had been told to do that by the HV! Now I just listen to myself. They change what is good for you all the time.

Can't believe I've been missing this thread !

All three of my kids take packed lunches, my 13 yr takes a sandwich,fruit, and a pure juice drink, and either a packet a crisps or a biscuit (her own choice)

The two boys 10 and 6, take the same, a sandwich,two pieces of fruit, two small fromage frais pots,drink of juice, crisps (thank god for 'pom bears') and a 'penguin' sort of biccy.

The 6 yr old scoffs the lot (they also get fruit provided by school at breaktimes) the 10 yr old won't eat anything at all somedays, but usually manages the sandwich/yog/drink.

I looked at the school lunch menus for this week and I think they were probably on a par with my lots' packed lunches ( but that doesn't mean that the school dinner would be eaten necessarily !)

I think that one key factor we're missing here, and this is with particular regard to infant school age children, is that their calorific requirements are still quite high in relation to how much they can actually scoff during the short time they are allotted to eat lunch.

Too much fibre in the form of wholemeal bread ,vegetables,and fruit may make them feel 'full up' before they have chance to eat enough protein, and enough calories for all that running around !

Don't get me started on allowing kids enough to drink to stay hydrated :wallbash:

I'm sure also that many secondary school kids will like mine, have tried the canteen to only find that they spent the whole lunch break queueing up to then find that the bell has gone before they get chance to eat the pizza and chips they'd purchased :lol:

wac

Have just sat here for the last 20 minutes reading this thread, even though I should really be doing something else...

It is such a complex topic, and I think everybody is right, but it is how to balance all the issues. Those of us who give their kids a balanced diet within the child's boundaries/abilities, are already doing all they can. But then there are also parents who'll give their kids the cold leftovers from MacDonalds from the night before...

My greatest concern is why are school lunches still so ######? My children still won't go near them because my kids themselves feel they're so unhealthy... and that is for the main meal. What about all those desserts? They are mostly pure ######, unless there happens to be yoghurt (depends on what type too though, most of them are loaded with all the wrong stuff!) or fresh fruit. And as for cereal bars passing the patrols, most of those are way high in calories and fats, usually worse than a mini roll.

And if food is suddenly so important for the nation (it is, I do agree!) then why is the hopsital food so totally inedible and completely devoid of anything healthy?

I am concerned about the children being indoctrinated in a sense, as they cannot always see the overall picture, esp not our kids. Also, concerns re food issues like this can lead to eating disorders, which are already on the increase along with self-harming.

And if food is suddenly so important for the nation (it is, I do agree!) then why is the hopsital food so totally inedible and completely devoid of anything healthy?

It's the classic British attitude of "get what you are given and be grateful for what you have got".

I am concerned about the children being indoctrinated in a sense, as they cannot always see the overall picture, esp not our kids. Also, concerns re food issues like this can lead to eating disorders, which are already on the increase along with self-harming.

Indoctrination is a feature of state run educational institutions that extends down to food served in schools. The real reason behind disgusting school dinners and the reluctance of schools to allow kids to bring their own food until about 25 years ago was to make the British public accept unpleasant low quality food as the everyday norm.

My son to will only eat 9-10 things we try by god do we try for 5 years i'v put his sunday tea on table with ours meat veg etc , hoping 1 day he will eat what we eat and i'll never stop trying but if he wanted sweets cakes biscuits all time then i'd think mmmm but he won't eat these either so if they ban things from his lunch box then he'll have to starve till tea , my older children eat proper meals bar lewis (aspergers) and with bribery and deals we can get him to eat some veg but kurtis we tryed everything know to man