Sign in to follow this  
Frangipani

Call me Miss Vagueness

Hi,

Just curious and this is no joking matter.

I am having memory lapses. Is this typical 40 something behaviour.

I will cook toast, or put something on the grill and completely forget about it until I smell smoke.

Or will make coffee, then go back to the kettle and cannot remember if I made coffee. Only to search the house to see if I did.

I ruined beautiful steaks the other night. Okay I have adjusted the dial on the toaster but still forgetting it.

What is this. Feel very vague, and sometimes I feel light headed.

:blink::huh:

No jokes, :shame: its been happening for a couple of weeks :hypno: starting to bother me. I guess the more you worry the worse it gets.

F.

When ds was in pre-school a few of us mums turned 40. I was fortunate to be the first :(

Within a few weeks we all noticed differences - we started to have more minor ailments, got more dithery and looked like cr*p. All of us. Yep, it's 40 and no mistake.

Karen

x

Fran - it is a typical sign of getting older - however it can also be a sign of depression and after what you've been through recently I wouldn't blame you.

If it's worrying you get it checked out - if not, then welcome to Senior Moments (I've been having them since I was 30! :lol: )

Well I haven't hit the big 40 yet - but my mind has been elsewhere since I had L. I know the brain is supposed to shrink during pregnancy and then it returns after birth, but I don't think mine ever did :lol:

I will go to put the kettle in the fridge instead of the milk - always going to another room and forgetting why I went in there in the first place - the list is endless.

You are not alone :D

KW

Fran

I often used to forget if I'd made coffee or tea etc. I also, with alarming frequency, often made coffee and tea in the same cup!!!! It's foul, don't try it :sick:

I find the busier I am, the less forgetful and more organised I become, funnily enough. Since I started my job I've been so much more on the ball.

I'm also now addicted to cross words and sudoku. They are supposed to help improve your memory.

It certainly sounds like stress Fran, if you're that worried a trip to your GP wouldn't do any harm.

Otherwise it's an age thing and keeping your body and mind active can really help.

Flora >:D<<'>

Hi Fran,

I'm 45 and started getting more forgetful a few years ago. Hormones play their part most certainly and at certain parts of the month I feel like there's fog in my brain. Depression can make this much much worse and did in my case. Also it could be worth getting your thyroid checked. I'm much better now that I have thyroid medication as thyroid conditions can apparently result in depression and forgetfullness. My mum had dementia which started showing at about 50 so I'm mega sensetive about my memory but I've learned to not worry too much and remind myself that I've always been a bit vague anyway. :wacko: so at least my screen name suits me.

SV

I do things like this all the time - boil pasta dry, overflow the bath, lose keys... I've always been a bit like that but I've noticed in the last couple of years I can't carry as much in my head as I used to - I have to write reminders for myself and I can't go anywhere without my diary nowadays - I used to function without one.

Age? I don't know. I've had more stress in the last couple of years than ever before so it could be due to that - maybe it's the same for you?

K x

Thanks guys,

I was starting to think something neurological was wrong. It may be a bit of depression, being trying to fight that off. I said to my mum if I could switch off my thinking and not worry so much I would feel less stressed.

I like that Lollypocket, putting the kettle in the fridge, :lol: I don't know how many odd things I have done that with, I think I have done the kettle too.

I remember watching with the kids 'Winnie the Pooh' just recently and the donkey 'ee aw' say I am having trouble remembering, and when I remember I forget, :lol::lol:

I stopped walking as I had a fall and injured my hip, so my head is full of fog and cobwebs. I was thinking of doing some swimming at the local rock pool buy they found a blue ring octopus which are deadly only a baby one, when you touch it the stripes flare up bright blue. So now I am paranoid there may be more, even though they cleaned and drained out the pool. :rolleyes: I am such a wooss.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with this, I see I am not alone. In putting the sugar in the fridge and over flowing the bath and losing the keys. Then forgetting what I did yesterday or last weekend. :lol::lol::lol:

I must buy a pocket diary Kathryn definitely need one of those.

:)>:D<<'>