Sign in to follow this  
della

Systems of diagnosis

Apparently there are three reference works for classifying mental problems. An american, an international one recognised by the WHO and a french one that is not recognised by anyone else and tends heavily towards psychosis and psychanalysis. The asperger group in Frnace warns people to stay away from doctors who use the french system.

So I decided to find out if the psychiatrist my GP recommended used the french methods. I phoned him and asked. I'm quite sure he didn't like me having any knowledge at all, let alone asking him. He basically wouldn't reply - he said "it depends". He asked me why I wanted to know. And in my usual wide-eyed up front way I explained the whole story. I never mentionned asperger, as I suspected he would not have heard of it. I called it high-level autism.

He asked me if my son had ever made any friends. I said that yes after 4 years of secondary school, he had made twoo friends. "Oh well then it can't be autism" he said. "So if he made friends that means he isn't autistic?" I asked? "Yes because he has entered into social relations"

And then he said he'd decide when he saw him. But how can he make up his mind what is wrong with my son in 1/2 hr. He hasn't asked for any reports from schools. I doubt very much if I'll take my son to this man.

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever get anywhere.

Hi Della,

This man sounds hopeless - has he even heard of high-functioning autism or even the term ASD? Can't offer any advice - but I'm sure someone will post something soon.

Take care,

Jb

I have just now found out I can get an evaluation done in Paris. This is NOT a diagnosis as a diagnosis has to be done by a psychiatrist. Apparently an Irish psychologist comes over 4 days a month to do these evaluations. You then have to get a GP or psychiatrist to do a diagnosis based on the evalustion. But my GP scoffed at the idea of high-level autism and the psychiatrist already believes my son is not autist in any form because he made friends.

A trip to Paris is going to be complicated and very expensive and I have other smaller kids to think about. We'd have to stay overnight for a start.

The organisation who told me about the Irish psychologist told me it would not be worth going to see any french psychiatrist. She said it would be a waste of time. Blimey.

Della

Don't know if it helps but I googled for diagnostic assessment for autism in France and it came up with a centre in Toulouse - Unite de Diagnostic et d'Evaluation de l'Autisme, Hospital la Grave, Toulouse.

Not sure where you are in France?

Barefoot

Hi Della

I'm in Ireland. Do you want to PM me the name of the Irish Psychologist & I'll see if I can find out anything about him/her?

A

Edited by D's Mum

Hi D's mum. I have PM'd you with the name. I'd be grateful for any information you could find.

Thanks , barefoot for taking the trouble for me and my son. Toulouse is too far away. I live in rural central France.

I just don't know what we'll do. We've managed so far without an official diagnosis, I suppose we could go on. But the school are taking a close interest now and the other day the nurse asked me if I had an appt with a psychiatrist - which I have, but am not specially keen to go to.

I'm beginning to feel it very unlikely that a French psychiatrist, unless specially trained, will ever diagnose aspergers.

Hi have you thought of trying to get a private dx by a proper authority in the UK? I recall reading an article while in France about Autism and thinking how out of date they were. I have a friend who tried to get a dx in france and gave up - now son is high functioning autism. Just a thought. Not sure of doctors at the Maudsley, Great Ormond Street do prxate dx but it is worth a shot. A lot would look at my son and think he is just quirky. Live with him and his anxieties. Live with the rage when he was younger. Its easy for so called experts to blame the parents- but find the right expert who understands and you will find out the problem. Have faith in your own beliefs.

Hi Madme,

I'm looking into getting an evaluation done in paris by an Irish psychologist. But even that might be too expensive and complicayed - I'm single with a big family. I'm beginning to wonder if I really need an offiicial diagnosis. My son , as well, agrees that the most important thing is that he is beginning to understand that what he has has a name and he isn't the only oone with aspergers.

The scholl might put pressure on to see a psychiatrist and I might end up seeing the french one that he has an appt with. And goodness knows what he will come up with, but that won't matter in the long-run.

The French system is in general terms barbaric. Up untill about 3 years ago all ASD was "bad parenting" until they were defeated in the Eurpean Court. The law was therefore changed. Like many other changes in law in France this has been substantially ignored as it does not suit them.

You can assume that special needs children will be generally overlooked in France, consider them as a 3rd world country, we may be bad but they are in a different league.

A small amount of help is available but it is nothing like sufficient - there are people in France that can help - (but it is usually very expensive! and generally a long way behind what is available here)

Good luck

The French system is in general terms barbaric. Up untill about 3 years ago all ASD was "bad parenting" until they were defeated in the Eurpean Court. The law was therefore changed. Like many other changes in law in France this has been substantially ignored as it does not suit them.

I know someone with AS from France and he can back this up with first hand experience of the French system.

Would it be worth finding out of any british psychiatrists who travel abroad have any intention travelling to france ? A lot do talks and seminars/conferences abroad. Just a thought.

Well there is this Irish woman...........

I was trying to get a decent (ie correct) diagnosis so the school would be more accepting and understanding, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the hassle. Both my son and I agree it seems like he has aspergers, and that fact alone has helped him. It's always been very hard when he goes up a school and then the problems wear off a bit and the teachers begin to accept him as he is. He has always managed to get thru the exams when necessary.

As you say, Ian, getting help is going to be expensive, and, maybe worse, energy-consuming.

It has all turned out much more difficult than I could ever have foreseen and it's very frustrating, to say the least, to have to deal with doctors who see themselves as little gods.

Edited by della

Thanks to another member here, nikki I've made great progress. She pointed me in th edirection of a local autisic support group. When I phoned them I had a good chat about aspergers. They tend to concentrate on adults with aspergers and getting them integrated, so that will be just about right for my son, who is coming up to adulthood. They also have a psychologist who is trained in autism who comes to the nearest big town when there are a few people waiting fir diagnoses.

So I'm feeling loads better.

That is good news. From the way I understand things, even a diagnosis would be a massive boost for your and your son :thumbs:

I hope everything works out for you