Sign in to follow this  
hev

nursery

well its not actually nursery its like playgroup 2 mornings a week,she was 3 in june,im wondering if she should be at full time nursery by now,what age did your children start?

Mine started at 2.5yrs old for just 2 mornings a week. It was slowly increased so that by the time they had reached the term after their 3rd birthday they were going for the full 5 mornings a week.

All mine went to full time nursery from 3.

My sisters children did play school, twice a week until they started full time school at 4.

It often depends what is on offer in your area and what would suit your children best.

The year before the child starts school they can have 5 funded sessions of 2.5hrs each. How old they are will depend on when their birthday is. If it's in September then they won't go to school until they are exactly 5 so won't start preschool till they are 4. if birthday is in August they will start funded preschool sessions when they are just 3 and school when just 4. This will give all children 3 full years in infants, and 1 full year of funded sessions. Preschool is optional though and indeed a child does not have to be in fulltime education until the term after that in which they are 5 ( a loophole schools will use to keep some children on part time education)

Most nurseries will take children from 2 or 2yr9mths but you will probably have to pay. For me I think 2 sessions is enough for a little one but sometimes they have to go more because of parents work etc. Look for one that will suit the needs of your child - not just the local one. It's amazing what glowing ofsteds some preschools have but the reality is a little different - some are just appalling and I wouldn't leave my gerbil in one let alone my child!

Remember it is illegal for a preschol to refuse your child if they are still in nappies - do not allow them to tell you otherwise - it is not acceptable for them to say this (rant woman here!)

Have fun at preschool, love Kat

Logan is going 4 afternoons a week - he turned 3 in August and started when the schools went back a few weeks following. He is going to a fantastic developmental nursery though. Had he been going to our local playschool I probably would have only put him in two days at least in his ante-preschool year.

Lynne

My son went to nursery from the age of 2. At first just 2 mornings a week then gradually increased until he was full time. Up until that point he had stayed home with his father. I work full time. The reason I sent him was because it became obvious that he was not developing as I had expected. I had no idea he was autistic at that time. Naively I though it was just because he wasn't mixing with other children which is why I decided to send him to nursery. I am so glad that I did because it then was apparent that he did have a problem so I then got referrals first to speech therapy and then to a paediatrician which led to diagnosis. Once I got the diagnosis he then started to get much needed help. Basically I think that sending him to nursery was the best thing I did. He still attends the before and after school club at the same nursery and also some full days in the holidays which gives me a break. Having known him since he was 2 the staff there are very good with him and know how to handle him. I dread him being too old to go there.

well its not actually nursery its like playgroup 2 mornings a week,she was 3 in june,im wondering if she should be at full time nursery by now,what age did your children start?

What age children start at nursery appears to depend on what area they live in and what is avalable.In our area of London children usually get a place part time 2.5 hours in the term after their 3rd birthday.

However I have friends outside London who are lucky to be offered 1 morning a week at playgroup.

In areas that have Surestart the government make nursery provision a priority.

Children may be more likely to be offered a place sooner if they may have SEN or social need.Karen

Our area provides the same as Karen's. The first full term starting after their 3rd birthday (providing there are places available) - for either mornings or afternoons (2.5hrs per session - Mon-Fri).

Take care,

Jb

State nursery schools and classes in England admit children in the September following their 3rd birthday that has to be on or earlier than the 31st August that year. Many private nursery schools take younger children. State nursery facilities vary significantly from LEA to LEA. In some LEAs the majority of 3 year olds attend a state nursery, but in other LEAs state nursery facilities are next to nonexistant. Some LEAs offer full time nursery and others only offer part time nursery.

I used to live in an area where the LEA were generous with nursery facilities and I attended half day sessions for a full year. My nursery offered the kids free meals, apples, milk, toys to borrow at weekends, and trips out places. My younger brother and sister attended a private nursery for two half day sessions a week for one term, and parents had to pay extra for most of the stuff my nursery offered for free.

Only a few schools here have a nursery/pre-school attached so most children (if they go to a nursery/pre-school) go to ones held at community halls or purpose-built buildings. Most places take children from 2yrs 9mths but some (like ours) take them from 2yrs 6mths.

The government funding starts from the term after the child's 3rd birthday. There is also the extra funding on top which may be given for children with SN to pay for extra help.

So much seems to depend on where you live. :unsure:

'Y' started pre-school shortly after her second birthday, for three mornings a week. She had to have a letter from the doctor requesting an early placement, for insurance purposes apparently. She then started state nursery at three years of age, for 5 mornings.

My friends daughter who lives in the north west, was given 5 full days in state nursery. So I guess it does depend on where you live.

S started just after his third birthday at the local nursery attached to the local primary school. 2.5hrs a day 5 mornings a week. I didn't know he had ASD then, it was on the second day of nursery I got a phone call saying please come in there is something not quite right about S and we'd like to discuss him seeing the school doctor, I was totally oblivious other than it did seem much harder work (being a parent that is :)) than I had expected but I was single and just thought I was rubbish parent :( and everyone else just said thats boys for ya!

Lorraine