Sign in to follow this  
Kazzen161

R's school

The Twins' secondary school had a drop-in session this evening (kept VERY quiet - obviously didn't actually want people to go!), so I "dropped in".

Only the senior management team was there, so I spoke to the Individual Needs manager. I had prepared my questions - to find out why, when R is on SA+, he is getting no extra help. I have been trying to find this out since Sept. I asked a few questions, and the INC seemed a bit confused why I was asking her these questions - then I found out why - she says R is not even on the SEN register!!!! I cannot remember the last time someone told me he was on SA+ (we have never had a letter telling us this anyway), but it must have been sometime at the beginning of this year. I was so gobsmacked that I could not think what else to say. She said sorry no one had told me (well, that's OK then!). I had to re-angle my questions to "is R making as much progress as he should be?" and "should he be getting any extra help?".

It all seems so poor - teachers SHOULD know about R's needs (don't think some of them even know he has AS), they SHOULD know general strategies for helping asd children, and so on.

I asked about their new SEN Policy. It does not name the SEN Governor (the Head and INC THINK it is the Chair - can't imagine how the Chair would have time to do the SEN stuff properly). It does not name the responsible person (required by the CofP) - the SENCO said "what is that?". The Head assured me that it has been approved by the Governors, even though it is not signed or dated as approved. The Policy does not mention anywhere about monitoring or evaluating the SEN provision (by staff or Govs).

I so much wanted to hit someone - I was so cross I was shaking. As there was only me and one other parent (also waiting to speak to the INC) there, all the other senior staff must have heard what I was saying - I wonder if they will care.

Another thing that surprised me was in the SEN Policy, it said "how SEN needs are met in order of priority": 1 was the needs of statemented children, 2 was the needs of those with literacy and numeracy difficulties, 3 was the needs of children on SA and SA+. I would have put 3 before 2.

Karen

Im not surprised you are concerned!

Do you have anything anywhere about r being on school action plus.This miust have come from somewhere was he transftered on this from primary and somehow its been lost? If so this is a transistion issue as well.

If you dont have a copy of the sen policy , assessment policy from the schools I would get one and find out asap who the sen govenor is.

Have you spoken to the senco? Clearly something is going wrong that is not going to get anybetter without some loud complaining from yourselves as a matter of interest in our area primary schools recently had to fill in an sen self evaluation form from our lea. Has you school had to do something similar, because if so it could make some very interesting reading?

2 was the needs of those with literacy and numeracy difficulties

Makes all the difference in the league tables :devil:

Re: SA+: I have some IEP's - it might say it on there. It is also in my (copious) notes somewhere. It was this school that put him on SA+, he was not on the SEN Register at the juniors. I have never had it in a letter though - but I have mentioned it lots of times in my letters to them, and they have never corrected it. I am going to ask them to tell me stages/dates since he has been at the school.

The SENCO is the INC (different name, but supposedly same role).

I have the SEN Policy - it is not very good. It does not name the SEN Governor, which is why I asked.

I really get the impression that because R is in school (he wasn't there much in Yr 7) and is academically able, they don't care. He has particular problems with handwriting and planning, which affect his performance in lots of subjects. As the school has a unit for dyslexic children, I was hoping that they would be able to help him.

Karen

I really get the impression that because R is in school (he wasn't there much in Yr 7) and is academically able, they don't care. He has particular problems with handwriting and planning, which affect his performance in lots of subjects. As the school has a unit for dyslexic children, I was hoping that they would be able to help him.

Karen

This is causing some horrible flashbacks for me because that was exactly my situation. The teachers knew I spent my breaktimes staring into space, they knew I didn't interact much with the other pupils (didn't completely ignore them) in the lessons, they could see how disorganised I was and apart from having remedial lessons for my handwriting I got no help. I was academic and I was quiet so that was all that mattered as far as they were concerned. I should have had a lot more help, but the school was geared towards getting good grades and didn't bother with things like bullying, for example.

But I'm not bitter. Definitely not. Honest :blink::lol:

Edited by Bullet

AFTER YOU HAVE FOUND OUT INFO RE ACTION PLUS ETC IT MAY BE WORTH YOU CONTACTING ED PSYCH PERSONALLY. ALL COUNCIL TAC PAYERS WE ARE ABLL LLOWED TO SEEK 1 HOUR ED PSYCH TIME A YEAR. THEY DONT TELL YOU ABOUT IT BECAUSE IF EVERYONE ASKED FOR IT THEY COULDNT COPE WITH THE DEMAND - JUST AN IDEA!SWHAT

Update:

On Tuesday I asked the INC why R was in a lower group than M for geog/history/ICT/RE (they set them together for some reason), as they are of the same ability. She didn't know, but said there would not be much difference between the groups anyway. As changing R's group would mean he would then be in the same class as his Twin, M, for 22 out of 30 lessons (and they are not getting on very well at the moment), I agreed to leave it.

Tonight R came home and said that he has been put up a group for geog/history/RE/ICT! Oh well, at least I know I was right and they should have been in the same group!

Karen

Update 2:

I got home today to find a message on the phone - the INC - sounding overly cheerful and friendly - saying she has spoken to R's tutor about his progress, and would I like to pop in after school so they can explain how they monitor his progress. Might be interesting - and I can give her my letter recording all that was said last week!

Karen

Update 2:

I got home today to find a message on the phone - the INC - sounding overly cheerful and friendly - saying she has spoken to R's tutor about his progress, and would I like to pop in after school so they can explain how they monitor his progress. Might be interesting - and I can give her my letter recording all that was said last week!

Karen

Oh how many times have I been there!!!???

You've got them worried, hence the phone call; but I'd put money on it that they are going to give you a cheerful and exagerated account of his progress, how they monitor it and all the wonderful but 'subtle' (none existent) ways in which they support him.

:angry:

Go in armed with as much information on his difficulties, along with knowledge of their SEN policy, the local policy, and the national policy! Hope you get some answers. Good luck hun :pray:

Flora X

Edited by Flora

Ask for his progress in writing. They seem to be a bit elastic with the truth dont they so I would want anything they say written down! Take a friend with you if you think it will help.