smiley

To all you Google addicts.......

Our poor old TV is on it's way out.. :fight:

The fail-safe wack it technique is not working (the screen goes a lovely shade of green :sick: ).

Personally, i'd be happy to stick a mallet through it :lol: but i suspect M would not agree with me............

So, if you're bored - Help! :pray:

Cheap as chips and 28" please!! :blink::lol::lol:

Smiley I know its not guaranteed to help but have you heard of freecycle?

http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=United%20Kingdom

you find your area & join the relevant group then its basically a recycle bin for everyones unwanted anythings!

Stay with me i'm getting to the point!

Anyway, one of my friend sent me there a while back & I was sceptical to say the least. But since being on there I have obtained a 28" widescreen TV amongst a lot of other things. Am due to collect a VCR today.

There is an awful lot of tat on there but there is also a lot of good stuff that people have merely upgraded.

You should join up & see if there is a Tv in your area :)

Good luck :D

Never heard of Freecycle - thanks :thumbs: - I'll have a google.. :D

Sara - i'm always a bit jumpy about buyng electrical stuff second hand... :unsure: . But, i'll take a look - thanks :notworthy: .

:D

Edited by smiley

Normal tv or Plasma/LCD?

I know they cost a bomb but I would consider LCD if you can as not many people are making the normal larger tvs anymore making them more costly to buy and fix.

We had this problem when our tv broke a few weeks back. We did some research but ended up investing in an LCD screen which came as a bundle with the stand and a DVD recorder (which is like a VCR but with DVDs, just remember to get rewritable discs if you get one though). I would recommend a bundle deal if you do get an LCD as the stands are stupidly expensive on their own.

We searched for cheap tvs using Google etc but, ultimately, it came down to Currys or Comet as they tend to dominate the market in terms of price and bundles. Other smaller sites/stores cannot offer the discounts that the chain stores can. Though I wouldn't necessarily go to your nearest Comet and buy/pop online and buy. Go into the shops and talk to the people and see what they can do for you, then have a look on the web and see if their online prices are different. Though be sure to figure in the cost of delivery/installation if you have that because it costs a lot more than you think!

Hope I haven't totally depressed you, the money got to my dad at first but once he realised that (due to increasing the screen size) he could now read teletext from out in the conservatory and see even more of Carol Smilie when she dances on Strictly he soon came around!!! :lol:

Emily

xxx

Tesco have a couple on line for around �170, and if you have a clubcard you could use your points to bring the price down a bit more (and to accumulate a few more). Argos also has one this size at under �200 but it is an old fashioned Cathode Ray one, not one of the swish LCD ones. You might also find a good deal if you had a look in places like Asda and Woolies. There is a school of thought these days that the brand name is irrelevant as most of the big name brands contract out the component manufacturing to cheap overseas contractors, who also make the cheap non-branded TVs, though obviously you'd want to look at the quality of the picture before you bought just to be on the safe side.

Failing that, I'm also a fan of freecycle. If you haven't found it online yet it is at www.freecycle.org.uk Great for de-cluttering as well as picking up things you need.

best price I have seen for a new 28" widescreen telly is 159 at ASDA. W"e have a similarone wegot from ASDA a couple of years ago and we are happy with it. Still loads cheaper than an equivalent LCD.

Non-widescreens should be available for much less in your local paper.

Simon

For new I'd stick with the big supermarkets, like Asda or Tesco.

If you decide second hand I'd go with your local paper (you really can get a fab bargain), or freecycle (we've used it and its great), or possibly ebay...although you would have to find someone selling a tv in your area so you can have a look at it.

Think all the above have already been suggested Smiley....good luck with your search :D

ive heard very good things about freecycle,i tried to join but not one in my area :(

that sux hev :(

start one up!! lol

i'm sure if you contact someone that runs one of the sites they'll be able to tell you how ;)

Smiley, no problem, shame i cant buy a new one for you, freecycle is the best i can offer lol