Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

School's bullying policy

I went into school today to ask to see the bullying policy (don't ask), and was told I can't have a copy but I can look at it, it can't be photocopied although I can make notes if I want. I can't see the logic in this (I could just sit in a corner and transcribe the whole lot, so it doesn't make sense) and although I know my son's school isn't particularly keen on working in partnership with parents this does seem particularly obstructive and uncooperative.

It just set me wondering - what are your experiences of seeing school policies? Have you been allowed a copy or is it the same everywhere?

Karen

x

Schools policies are public documents and you are allowed to see them and have a copy(they may charge for copying).

If they are being awkward ask under the freedom of information act. Whois the parent governor rep at your school? Find out and have a word. Im a parent governor and supplying copies of policies isnt a problem in fact many schools have them freely available on their websites.

Thanks for this. I rang the Education Dept today and was told that it was true - there is a policy for the document to be made available to view but not to copy. Someone mentioned copyright but that sounds like bo**ocks to me. Mentioned it at my AS support group this morning and quite a few said the same thing - seems like a Gateshead directive that doesn't apply elsewhere.

Also, when I went to speak to J's teacher about the bullying incidents that have been happening this week, she told me that I'd offended the secretary with 'my attitude' when I asked to see the policy. This has got me baffled, as I walked into the office all smiley-faced and shared a joke with the secretary and one of the teaching assistants. I did ask 'why?' (ooh, how provocative of me!) when told I couldn't have a copy of the document, but I suspect just the mere mention of 'bullying policy' put her on the defensive before I got a chance to say anything else. So I guess I've got to go in and apologise tomorrow. But why do I feel I'm being set up as disreputable parent just in case I apply for a statement?! Paranoid, moi?!

Karen

x

I did ask 'why?' (ooh, how provocative of me!) when told I couldn't have a copy of the document, but I suspect just the mere mention of 'bullying policy' put her on the defensive before I got a chance to say anything else. So I guess I've got to go in and apologise tomorrow. But why do I feel I'm being set up as disreputable parent just in case I apply for a statement?! Paranoid, moi?!

Karen, you didn't question a school secretary did you??!!! Heavens, how unreasonable of you!! :shame::o:whistle:

~ Mel ~

Karen, you didn't question a school secretary did you??!!! Heavens, how unreasonable of you!! :shame::o:whistle:

LOL!

Went in to school this morning and sat for a full half hour transcribing the bullying policy by hand (sigh).

Afterwards I went into the secretary's office and said I thought I owed her an apology, to which she replied "Yes, I was quite upset". I'm utterly gobsmacked. The poor woman obviously sees so few smiley, polite parents that she's been traumatised by the experience of meeting one! Anyway, she graciously accepted my apology and thanked me for coming to see her, but I still haven't a clue what I did to upset her in the first place.

Karen

x

Afterwards I went into the secretary's office and said I thought I owed her an apology, to which she replied "Yes, I was quite upset". I'm utterly gobsmacked. The poor woman obviously sees so few smiley, polite parents that she's been traumatised by the experience of meeting one! Anyway, she graciously accepted my apology and thanked me for coming to see her, but I still haven't a clue what I did to upset her in the first place.

God, you sound like an absolute saint! There's no way I could of choked out an apology in those circumstances!! :notworthy::P

~ Mel ~

God, you sound like an absolute saint! There's no way I could of choked out an apology in those circumstances!! :notworthy::P

Hell no. Just wanted to get the upper hand by showing what a nice polite person I really am. I'm really beginning to think I'm being set up for character assassination here - you know the sort of thing: "no wonder her kid's got no social skills, she's a bit lacking herself".

Note to self... must not get paranoid, must not get paranoid...

Karen

x