hev

went to the doctors

went docs yesterday told her exactly how i feeling,doubled my medication and am getting some counselling which is at my surgery so not a long wait,feel somuch better for making the move to get some help,ive said it before but maybe things are looking up,how have other people found counselling?

Hi Hev

I'm so pleased you're feeling more upbeat, you've had such a hard time of it lately. I've had 2 sets of counselling - separated by 2 years, because I had 2 periods of depression. I found it invaluable - I did throw myself into the whole thing, didn't hold back (she had a very good supply of hankies :crying: ). It really helped me work out what the root of my problems was, and also how to go about changing things. My counsellor said that when people come to her, its because they've lost their way, and she helps them get back on course, and she was right. My second set of counselling involved my husband - we were having communication problems, because things involving our son had got so painful, that we were finding it too hard to talk to each other - I kept running off. The counsellor (the same lady) helped us talk to each other, simple as that. I really hope it goes well for you.

Elanor

DH and I are currently getting family therapy through our GP. Like Eleanor, it's mainly helping us communicate effectively again as we're finding things with DS so difficult and upsetting we're not talking (I sit in front of the computer ini tears all evening while he clears up the mess that DS, DD and I have created in the day - he's a total angel) We have another session today actually.

I've found it has helped me move a little closer to accepting what's happening with DS although I'm still in the mourning stage. It has also helped show me where DH is in the scheme of things. It's opened my eyes up to where the weaknesses (and strengths) in our relationship lie. It's also helping me deal with my parents' reaction (which has been very hurtful)

Basically, it's been a great thing for us and I'm hoping we can keep going for a while yet

Shamu

;)

Hev, you've done the best thing going back to your GP. Hope the increased dose works. I'm on a waiting list for counselling too, should be anytime now as I've been told I'm top of the list at the mo. It is also held at our GP surgery. Would be interested to know how you find too. I'm also due to go back to GP next week to discuss the AD's, which to be honest I don't feel are really kicking in, so maybe my dose will be increased. Good luck hun and take good care of yourself >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi Hev,

Hope it goes well. From personal experience, i had some counselling last year but it didn't work out. The counsellor was male and i really don't think he got where i was coming from at all (no offense to men). I think you have to be READY for it too, i don't think i was ready to talk then. On the other hand, my mum had a fantastic counsellor and i really believe she changed her life (for the better).

Loulou xx

I crashed with depression last year and was off of work for 4 months - things at home all too much. My 13 year old AS also suffered with depression and then my husband - oh joy!!

Its been a really tough year - at one stage we were all on AD's. Thankfully I am now feeling much better and more able to cope and some of that has been from talking to a counsellor and doing 'cognitive behaviour therapy'. Sounds a bit bizarre and at the beginning I really couldn't see what differance it would make but it really has worked.

We cannot directly change our circumstances with the children (and husbands!) we have been blessed with but we can change the way we view the situation which in turn makes us stronger and makes us more able to cope.

I have felt over the years it has been me that has to be strong and cope with all that life throws at us and somehow in the middle of it I have got lost and I'm sure it is the same for all of us parents. I actually felt guilty talking about myself and kept harping on about hubbie,children even the pets!

Its important to remember that you also need time, space, the opportunity to recharge your batteries.

Hope it goes well for you - just remember these things take time but you will come out the other end of it. >:D<<'>