smiley

LEA meeting tomorrow!!

Oh Lordy :wallbash: ,

I contacted the PP lady last week - the track record with them isn't great.....but i needed help to stop the statement from being finalised.... anyhow..

A meeting has been set up for tomorrow - at my house, LEA man and the PP lady, to try to figure out the hours (etc...) in M's statement. He's been given 15 hours in his proposed stat, they have upped this to 20.. they are apparently being generous... :angry::wallbash: .

Little monkey has full-time 1:1 support at present and is not managing (- how they think he can cope with 20 hours is beyond me...... :angry:) . I spoke with Head again today - 20 hours is not enough... Head has been in email contact with LEA man and PP and has made it clear that although M is 'just coping' at present, the school cannot see this being an option past the end of this academic year. Hence why the LEA wont name an ASD specific school yet............... ARGH!! *Breath*........

I have trawled through the advice and pulled out all bits to do with the level of support M needs - LEA have had this in a letter from me, and ignored it.

Now what?????????

Loosing marbles.... :wacko:

Hmmmmm.........???

Just got off the phone with another parent who has a child statemented in my area - apparently 20hrs is high, and the max for my area (before SS)?????

That's a new one on me..... Anyone else in Hants and has a child statemented - if you don't mind me asking (PM if you like...), how many hours does your child have???

Ta xxx

little p gets 27 hours and another child in the school gets 32 hours!

20 hours can not be the max that any child can have in your Authority because that would indicate that the Authority is using a blanket policy and they are illegal - you could try telling them that.

Cat

My lil darling is technically on full time support (except the afternoon worker realised it was too far to travel after 2 weeks and hasn't been replaced) He hasn't a statement yet, we're currently applying. Support comes from the autism liasion team.

Today I was told that G is the only child with autism in our area with full time support in (mainstream) school. Not sure what to make of that.

mmmmm - I am in Hants and the lea have agreed to assess our DS just today. I know of another child in our school who has 25 hours. The school chose to use some of their other funding to make that up to a full week.

Which LEA are you under? There was someone in our area whose son was being schooled mornings only and still not coping, getting excluded etc....and who the LEA couldn't find a placement for. EVentually, a placement was found after he went public about it and made lots of noise through the local mp. It seems that there just basically arent enough places and they will try to get out of providing any support if they can get away with it.

HOw old is your DS? Have you tried the MP?

Love and hugs

Phoebe

Hmmm ... some LEAs seem to be assuming that the school will provide the first 5 hours of support and they then 'top-up' with 20 hours on the statement to make up 25 hours of 'full time' support - is this waht the LEA is assuming? - if so then the 5 hours should be detailed in the 'school will provide' section of Part 3

>>some LEAs seem to be assuming that the school will provide the first 5 hours of support and they then 'top-up' with 20 hours on the statement to make up 25 hours of 'full time' support - is this waht the LEA is assuming?

In Hants the school does not get any extra money, regardless of how many hours are on the statement, for a child with AS, so all the hours come out of the standard school/SEN budget anyway.

Karen

In Hants the school does not get any extra money, regardless of how many hours are on the statement, for a child with AS, so all the hours come out of the standard school/SEN budget anyway.

Karen

:o What!!?? Why?????

Why do we bother eh... :(:wallbash:

They make a distinction between high incidence and low incidence needs.Extra funding,in addition to schools' SEN budget is added in for low incidence needs.

My son is at a special school,so he gets support full time.

However,it is still worth getting a Statement because then you know that a portion of the allocated funds are being used to support your child and that it will be specificto the needs identified.xx

Edited by CarerQuie

As CarerQuie says AS is classed as a high incidence SN, ie: all schools are likely to have some of these children, so money for them is part of the school SEN budget. If your child has a statement, he gets first priority from the SEN budget, as he HAS to have his needs met as per the statement. The other children get what's left over (ie: very little, if anything).

Karen

Blimey, i'm crackered

M is at home - he (as always) was great when everyone was here. When everyone left.....HUGE meltdown. What time is lunch at school? - we have to have lunch at the same time.... We cannot have bread/pitta/crackers (basically, anything he would normally have in his packed lunch..) because thats for school. We must have rolls - only no rolls in the house. Panic sets in.. Tears over everything.. This grew to massive proportions and he now has a nasty scratch on his face where he got so upset and scared, he was thumping and scratching his face................. :( ............................ My poor boy :( . He's rocking on the sofa, hiding under his fleecy now :( . Pooh :(

Anyhow.... The Meeting.

Maybe/possibly (/if i'm very good *getting sarcastic now..*) they would consider 20/25 hours. But not without tribunal (or at least the threat of it). I had some great long lecture about funding, SEN budgets etc...etc.... Lots of blanket policies... :wallbash: Why they cannot or don't specify, qualify or quantify anything... That their Authority don't give anything over 25 hours............ Did NOT like the idea of 'dedicated' 1:1.............

Very few ASD specific schools in Hants - and no room in any of them.

And you lot would have loved the comments about 'These people having to fit in to normal society when they're older.................. :blink:

Blah, blah.....

It was obvious that Mr LEA knows full well that i'm in the right. He wasn't able to address how M's needs can be met without the level of support that i'm asking for (the evidence is all in the advices....).

M's needs a high level of support - that support needs to be clearly outlined within part three of his statement - i don't give a monkeys about funding or budgets or allocated this, that and the other.

My son has a right to have his needs met!!!!! ARGH!

Strop over :tearful::hypno:

Going off to find a dark room........ :wacko::hypno::wacko::fight:

Smiley,

Well done for getting through it - hope M is feeling a bit calmer now. >:D<<'>

Do you feel the meeting achieved anything at all? :huh: Sounds as though you'll be girding your loins for the next stage of the battle in the New Year. :ninja:

K x

Hi K,

Sorry - i was ranting! :rolleyes:

M's still under the fleecy blanket - but giggling at the tele now :)>:D<<'> :wub: .

Some bits and pieces were agreed upon. All of the wording changes i wanted ('benefit from' changed to 'need' etc...) were changed. Some bits about OT and SaLT were changed. Objectives were more clearly defined. And, although we obviously don't agree on some parts - LEA guy was not impolite and did seem to fully understand (and to a certain point agree) with what i was saying. He gave me lots of information about appealing and the mediation service used in my area............. He made it clear that 'matters' are more likely to be sorted before it gets to tribunal, and that many parents have to, unfortunately, go down this route to get the provisions their child needs. He basically has done as much as he can ( ....has the authority to.......... )

It was worthwhile - i was just stropping! :P:lol::rolleyes:

Hi K,

Sorry - i was ranting! :rolleyes:

M's still under the fleecy blanket - but giggling at the tele now :)>:D<<'> :wub: .

Some bits and pieces were agreed upon. All of the wording changes i wanted ('benefit from' changed to 'need' etc...) were changed. Some bits about OT and SaLT were changed. Objectives were more clearly defined. And, although we obviously don't agree on some parts - LEA guy was not impolite and did seem to fully understand (and to a certain point agree) with what i was saying. He gave me lots of information about appealing and the mediation service used in my area............. He made it clear that 'matters' are more likely to be sorted before it gets to tribunal, and that many parents have to, unfortunately, go down this route to get the provisions their child needs. He basically has done as much as he can ( ....has the authority to.......... )

It was worthwhile - i was just stropping! :P:lol::rolleyes:

bless, always good to let off steam. Think its the same for everyone. *insert vomitting smiley* I attempt a meeting with senco every couple of years and - as u say - teh expressions they spout!! i wanna kill them! Last one i got went ' son has to learn to organise himself better' STATE THE OBVIOUS and do they not 'get' fact he cant?? LOLOL ah well, least he sees teh funny side