Sign in to follow this  
V1971

Meeting with the SENCO tomorrow

My son is due to start Reception in September 2007. I chose one of the local schools because the SENCO seems very helful and has a caring attitude, in fact I have a meeting with her tomorrow. She offered to help us apply for a statement, I am very grateful. She says she does it all the time and she knows what to write to get what we need, I sure hope so. Parent Partnership didn't seem very helpful and they didn't offer to meet me in person. I may try IPSEA next, since many of you think they can help. But knowing that the SENCO is doing her best to help us is great!! :clap:

That's great, and you are very fortunate with that!

IPSEA is for when you have problems getting your child's needs recognised and provided for, and to me it sounds like the SENCO does recognise them and will help you to get that statement, so I would hold off on them for now.

Good luck with your meeting tomorrow! A suggestion: it would probably help if you make a list beforehand about where you feel your child's needs are different from the other children in the class. You know your child and the SENCO doesn't, so that should help her put the help in place that he needs.

Thanks girls, in that case I won't call IPSEA. Not yet anyway.

I have typed a report (5 pages long) to take to the meeting tomorrow, so we're not really doing it from scratch, although I haven't done this before and she may suggest that we do just that LOL. Wish me luck!

Evemn with a supportive senco by writing the inital letter yourself you will be holding the lea etc to a strict timetable. If the senco does it different rules apply bearing in mind he will be starting sept you really do need to get cracking with this.

It went really well, we talked for over an hour, I explained what my son's difficulties are and then she read the reports from our Paeditrician, Speech Therapist etc. to get to know him better.

I gave her a copy of what I have written so far (it's 5 pages long) and we're meeting again in a week so that she can return the report to me with her comments.

She even invited us to visit the school once a week on the last term so that my son will get familiar with the school and the teachers, plus she will give us a blue badge so I can park in the disabled slot outside the entrance (my son is a nightmare to walk with, he stops for every little thing).

She is awesome, I am very lucky!!