Sign in to follow this  
Pippin

sen funding

This is probably a reslly daft question but....is there any way I can find out how much extra funding the school actually get for my son. he has 20 hours LSA on his statement. The school wont tell me.

Thanks

When I went to Tribunal, this was costed at �9.50 per hour which included on-costs - so I would say that �10.50 would be a reasonable average now.

On the statements, if it says 'the lea will provide a further X hours teaching assistant support (or equivalent) this only means the money they will give the school in to put into the pot. If the support is not dedicated 1:1 then the school can use this funding for general SEN (so long as they meet the needs on the statement). For instance, they may get �100 per week additional funding but they may be able to meet your child's needs and others using this funding. Unless the statement is explicit about 1:1, then it does not seem possible to ring fence this money for just your child.

I hope this makes sense

HelenL

Depends on your LEA - here schools would get no extra funding for most children with ASD, whatever the hours specified. The money would have to come from their ordinary SEN funding, which amounts to very little.

Your local support group should be able to advise how your LEA works.

Karen

Where I live the LEA issue the funding in bands eg M is band 7 (lowest being 5 highest is 8) Band 7 equates to just under �6k a year which in hours is 12.5 a week. I just found out today his speech therapy is seperate so this banding is purely for the school to pay for an LSA or equipment etc he needs..Does it work this way..does it heck :lol: HTH

When we recieved the Statement we also recieved a reciete of how much the support was going to cost for the LSA that supports J. this is clearly written at the end of a seperate form and explains what it is for and why the LSA has been employed.

JsMum

Thanks everyone. I just wish it were less complicated. I cant work out whether they work on type of need or just lsa hours allocated to sort out the funding here in Wales (never do anything simply here!). I really want to know before we have to make decisions on secondary school for P. as I know theyll just want the cheapest place and I want to be prepared with figure for other options. As P has 20 hours 1-1 LSA I expect he shoul be in one of the higher bands......but it is not stated in his statement.

Thanks for all the info anyway.

Sue