Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

Watch where your going!!!!

I have noticed an increas of J having minor accidents because he isnt taking into account his awareness to his surroundings.

J has always been in a rush to get from one room to another or going downstairs upstairs and so because he goes so fast he bumps into the door frames, trips up the stairs and bashes his sides into corners of furniture but lately its every day, this morning he was been chased by Tj and he ran away and runs straight into the corner of the table, he was upset that things just keep been in the way, I tried to help him understand that he has to be careful inside and that he has to see more clearly.

how do I help him be more aware of the contents of the house?

does anyone have this difficulty where they bump into things?

Js has recently had his eyes tested and he can see better than most children his age, and aparently his perception is excellent, but yet he is acting as though he could be having sight difficulties, they did say he could be coloured blind but it was not definate as he is soo young.

any opinions/advice

JsMum

reece also runs around and dosnt seem to see wats in front of him often bumps into things and falls over everthing soorry no advice lv donnax

Apparently its a sensory thing (so they tell me!) and its to do with their spatial awareness..M sounds just like J.If he is headed through a door he will go through it wether someone is coming the other way or not,his SALT was with him doing just this one day as a little girl came through in the opposite direction..M knocked her flying and just carried on walking..

Hi JsMum,

My son, now 17, AS and ADHD was the same when he was younger. If he wanted to get from A to B, what was in between the two, whether it was a chair, door or anything else, they didn't come into the equation. Being hyperactive and very impulsive, he didn't 'stop, think, do'. It did come eventually though, with maturity.

Annie

xx

Hi JsMum

This is definitely a sensory thing - problems with his proprioceptive system. This covers things like the awareness of his body & where it is. My DS was just the same, would fall over his own feet and hit both side of the door frame coming through the door. Everything seemed to be in his way. He has been having almost weekly sessions of OT for 18 months now and the difference is amazing. He never bumps into the door frame now and I can't remember the last time he fell over...

Have you considered OT? If this is the problem some sensory integration therapy is also a must.

A

We had a OT assessment for the home to have some adaptions to the home and she saw the evidence to his movement and watched him hurt himself over three times whilst she carried out the assessment and commented on him been dyspraxic, he does have sensory issues, dislikes of food and clothes, has his dinner in a classroom due to the overwhelming feelings when in the hall, has time out in class when the noise gets too much so there is defo sensory difficutlies, and since reading the book out of sincs child there is a defenate match so I do know that and I will be asking for a referral for an OT assessment to determin the route cause and get some therapy, he stubbed his toe later on the table leg, knocked into the chair and has just been a heap on and off.

thanks I will be asking for an oppointment.

JsMum

Both my older boys (HF aged 12 and Dyslexic aged 9, both are also Dyspraxic)

have this sensory problem and I am seriously wondering whether my youngest does too, although with him I think his poor vision in his right eye might be a big part of his problem.

I just had a look at the syptoms of Dyspraxia, and so many are the same as ASD. My eldest son isn't too bad at the moment (stubbs his toes alot though) but my 2 year old is always falling over and bumping into things. But I just thought that was normal! But then I haven't had a NT 2 year old to compare him with! I had to take him to casualty last week as he tripped and hit his head hard. But he is always racing around and just doesn't look where he is going.

But I'm always walking into things - especially door frames - I had never thought it was unusual before!

L does the same things he is forever wrapping himself off the door frame i am waiting on appointment to see about his eyes being looked at. He is only 4 and does not like any form of doctor so it will be difficult the pead thinks it is part of his autism but i am not so sure. He is always covered in bruises and i always worry incase people think i have harmed him :(

I have also noticed i dont know if anyone else has but as it has got older the flapping and the absent periods have got more regular people stare more now at him and that hurts

Didnt get much support from pead when i bought this all up it seems to me once the got dx they blame everything on that :(

Edited by opheila