Sign in to follow this  
hedders

Ways to get SENCO to provide dd with an IEP

In a diffcult situation as they havent indentified her needs yet but basically she is under an ot for suspected sid and dypraxia the school will not put the ot recommendations onto an iep.

The senco said my dd will not have an IEP and thats final, she isnt sereve enough but has to remain in a booster group for another yr 1/2 see the senco every wednesday attends a narrative play session to help with speech and recieve additional support from teacher on a morning.

I repeated phases from code of pratice about children with additional needs, insisted referral to ed psy 4times but declined.

They made mistakes in the early days refusing to listen to my concerns saying the pead report was all lies told the lea they had no concerns but when i took info in on ASD theymislead SALT and pead who then discharged her and tried to cover up or block any further reports like the recent ot report.

School nurse?

Ask the ot?

Her new pead has written to the senco asking dd academic progress and support and also social interaction but i know the senco wont be honest and we really need to streagthen our case asap.

Im up against Senco and Head teacher

That is awful!

You need to get onto your local Parent Partnership and I also think it might be an idea for you to request statutory assessment from your LEA as this means they will certainly ask the school what they are doing and not doing and as part of the decision whether they will assess or not they will send in E.P.

I do not understand these schools that think they have the right to just ignore a childs needs and a parents worries like that.

Good luck

First of all >:D<<'> I had this with both my children and now we have statements for them both. The school they were at before just put up a brick wall in every single direction. I went through the whole complaints procedure, started with meetings, involved parent partnership, wrote to the head, met with the head, and complained to the govenors and they STILL ignored all the reccomendations. Whilst we were at assessment stages, the senco went behind my back and tried to put off the ed pysc coming in, then wrote to my daughters consultant and tried to block us from reducing my daughters meds.

My advice is, wait until all the advice and reccomendations have been made, then move your child out the school. there is no point in banging your head up against the wall. even if you do get somewhere, i can say with almost certainty that it will be lip service and you will just be chasing them every single day.

I realised that no matter what i did, i would not be able to change the attitude of the school even if i did twist their arms behind their backs. I did not want to subject my kids to it anymore, and even IF i could have got statements for them there, the breakdown in trust, communication etc i was not going to put my kids or myself through it. I moved my kids, the first one 18months ago and my son, 9 months ago and they went from no IEP'S to having IEP'S and now statements.

i didnt let them off the hook there either, i complained and complained to the local authority about them, and i understand the lea are now involved in giving "advice and support" to the school. damn senco is still senco though and wouldnt be if i had my way!! i will not let it drop even now im looking into how i can take my complaints further. im determined they will NOT be let off the hook, but now my kids are out of it and doing better. in turn thats helped me no end.

thanks

yea i really can understand and agree with what your saying supportive parents have been helping me for a yr and no success.

Ive only got an ot report i have 2 pead reports but it mostly my imput written down

dd got another app with ot next month

thanks again

I hoped and thought i could work things out with school and even if the professionals helped me i dont trust the school anymore.

Its so unfair, this could be her 3rd school and shes only 6

I agree with Pink Sapphire. If you make a parental request for statutory assessment the EP has to come in and there's nothing the school can do to stop it. The LEA will then want to know what the school are doing so you could find that all of a sudden a lot more support is being put in. This happened with us and even though we got turned down for statutory assessment it did mean that professionals were called in and more support was put into place. This in turn enabled us to gather enough evidence to apply again a year later and this time we got a statement for her.

Lisa

Thanks when i spoke to ipsea they said apply for stat assessment and then few weeks later spoke to supportive parents as they have been helping me for a yr with diffculties of dd school and mentioned applying for stat assessment and they advised me not too saying she wouldnt get one i get so confused by it all.

Maybe its the only option left....

HGaving supportive parents is great but with respect they are acting as you would to a reasonable person. This school is not reasonable in fact they are being downright devious.

Apply for an assessment, get as much evidence from school about lack of progress you can, independant rports if possible.

How would i get reports from school i made a bit of a mistake as she had an iep started a yr ago the senco never assessed her needs and just put two targets for sounds and teddy keywords it was reviewed 4 months late and i knew she hadnt reached the targets the senco was also trying to remove it but when it was reviewed in November her new class teacher said she hadnt reached targets didnt change the stratagies but also put she felt unable to communicate with dd as the SALT never produced a target for her as she was discharged months earlier because the school told her she had progessed alot which she hadnt.

When school recieved ot report 3 weeks ago the following day i had the iep review and the senco inisited i sign off the iep and agree that she reached the 2 targets i signed it a week later at a meeting in the school we brought this up and the class teacher agreed about not reaching teddy bear keyword but the senco quickly changed the subject.

There being very subborn answering our questions the senco said she will have to remain in a booster group for another yr when asked why she replied because she lacks confidence continues to see senco every wednesday she wont say why? and recieves additional support from teachers and dont know what for?

Should i contact school nurse and get her to acess school records.

Edited by hedders

As a parent you can apply in writing to school and ask for copy of your child's school records and school has to comply with request within certain timescale( can't remember how long though!)