oxgirl

Headaches ................

Just got back from an appointment with the Neurologist at the hospital about J's continual headaches. He has medication every day that is supposed to prevent them but he's still having to have three or six spoons of Calpol almost every day as well!! :huh:

They couldn't really give me an answer or any help at the hospital though, he just thought that they were due to stress and anxiety and agreed that he was having too much Calpol, but didn't offer any other helpful advice. He's referred us to a psychologist to see if that will help reduce the stress, but in the meantime we're still pumping the kid full of drugs and no-one seems to be able to do anything for him. Feel a bit miserable. :(

~ Mel ~

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> oh im sorry i cant belive the drs couldnt even give you any advice :blink: I hope he gets it sorted soon is the calpol helping him at all? Have they done any other tests?

Take care

Brooke

Thanks Brooke. >:D<<'>

Sometimes the Calpol helps, but sometimes he needs another dose of three spoonfuls later and sometimes the only thing that helps is going to bed and lying down for a couple of hours. :( He gave him a general check over today to rule out 'other things' and just said basically he sees a lot of teenagers who get tension headaches and pretty much shrugged his shoulders. They tell me it's not good to be giving him so much paracetamol, but what else am I supposed to do, he didn't suggest any alternatives. :(

~ Mel ~

some doctors :angry: they should be investigating why he is getting them and then maybe they could help more with medication etc. So sorry for your lad it must be really hard for him and you >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Oh Mel, so sorry hun :(

I know this has been ongoing for a long while......can't think of much to suggest that you probably havn't already tried.

What about the holistic route? Something that would calm him, reduce anxiety etc. Would he tolerate a head massage from a therapist or an aromatherapy massage....possibly reflexology. Unsure how effective these are, but may be worth investigating a little further?

Take care x >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Mel - :(>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

What were the neuros 'general checks'?? I agree with brooke - even if the neuro can't find anything conclusive - he/she should be helping with medication.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Have you thought of going down alternative routes such as cranial osteopathy? A friend of mines daughter had juvenial migraines, and she improved 100% with treatments with a paediatric chiropractor.

Have you thought of going down alternative routes such as cranial osteopathy? A friend of mines daughter had juvenial migraines, and she improved 100% with treatments with a paediatric chiropractor.

DS1 had cranial osteopathey for ear infections when he was a toddler and although they didn't sort out the ears, he didn't mind them half as much as I thought he might, you know, being touched by someone unknown etc. The only problem is that you usually have to pay for these things yourself... although if the doctors can't find a solution, could you ask them to refer?

Just a thought.

Lizzie

that is disgusting they should be looking into why he has continual headaches our children always get fobbed off. hope u get to the bottom of it soon >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> love donnax

Thanks so much everyone. >:D<<'>

Not sure how he'd cope with massages and alternative treatments, but I will certainly look into it, we can't go on like we are, that's for sure. :(

It's almost certainly school related though, because since he's been home, since Thursday, he's only had one, and when it's a school week he has them every day!!

Cheers peeps. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

I think there is your Link, school related stress, it could be also that he isnt accessing enough fluid, so dehydrated.

J hates the water at school and he wasnt drinking, he got lots of headaches and we finally realised he wasnt drinking all day due to the disgusting taste.

He now takes his own bottled water and allowed to drink in lessons and he doesnt have any headaches anymore some where related to the food he ate as well, like chocalate, cheese and too much dairy products.

he doesnt eat these now and chocalate its minimum.

I would be very careful of the medications of headaches as it was researched on tv that patients where getting rebound headaches and in the end the medication was causing the headaches.

The way to treat headaches are dark and quiet areas, cold compress on the forhead and time to rest.

it is very likey stress so any activities that help him feel calm, swimming, art therapy, playing with toys that he likes, drawing, listening to relaxtion cds and maybe a course on meditation.

Has he had a recent eye test as well, all the reading at school could be a strain on his eyes which can result in headaches.

is there any possibility of some extra time off school.

JsMum

ps also the touch issue could they start off very minimul and reiki isnt any contact this could work for headaches.

Edited by JsMum

Thanks for your reply, JsMum. >:D<<'>

Don't think it's a hydration issue with J as he has his own bottles of drink at school. We're gonna look into the food aspect though, see if there is any intolerance stuff going on.

We asked the doc about the meds causing rebound headaches and he said that only applies to codein-based meds and not paracetamol, but it can't be good for him, having that much anyway. :(

I bought a 4Head menthol stick today and rubbed it on his head, but he hated the sensation of it, tingly and cold. He'll have to try and get used to it though. :P

The way to treat headaches are dark and quiet areas, cold compress on the forhead and time to rest.

Trouble is, when he's at school and he gets one he just has to struggle on. :(

is there any possibility of some extra time off school.

The next three years off would be great!! Don't think so though, he's only part-time as it is.

Cheers. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Wondered what the drink is that your son takes to school?

A sweetener that can affect J is aspartamane and so just letting you know and its in a LOT of drinks that aimed at children.

Also the school should be supporting him if he has headache, reading, feeling stressed will only make them worse, if there isnt any possible arrangement for the headaches to subside like a quiet and darker arear of the classroom or medical room then its best to have him home tutored until the reasons behind the headaches are sorted, and if its school related stress this is going to be a real problem if the school are not going to try and reduce the impact of the headaches.

could you contact the schools nurse to see if they can provide something to help eliviate the headaches with maybe a dairysheet, times he is getting them and a place where he can go when he is having difficulties.

I would also keep a diary of your own at home and any areas of improvment, so for instance the fact its half term he hasnt hardly had any if it where food related then he may well of continued to have headaches in the half term.

anyway hope that the rest of the week goes ok

JsMum

Mel - I really do feel for J, i have horrible headaches, and i know how disabling they can be :(>:D<<'>

Found these with a quick google search - not sure if they'll be of any help...

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopi...292&id=2249

http://www.teengrowth.com/index.cfm?action...mp;subdesc=Pain

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/48/39137.htm

http://news.research.ohiou.edu/news/index....142&page=87

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/headaches/HQ00428

>:D<<'>

Hiya Mel,

I'm the same as Js Mum's son. I am completely intolerant to Aspartame and had continual headaches every single day while I drank Diet Coke.

It's not just in drinks either, it's in a lot of diet products generally. I got some new fat free Ski yoghurts the other week and found myself having stomach problems and major headaches and then looked and found they had Asapartame in them. It's also in crips, cheese and some bread, amongst other things, as it's an artificial sweetner.

Feel MUCH better now I'm virtually Aspartame free (I also went to see a neurologist because I thought I must have something wrong to have the constant headaches)

You have to be careful though because you would think Aspartame might be in normal Coke, but it isn't, but it is in Fanta. (I'm also intolerant to citric based products, even fruit! So Fanta is a source of evil for me)

I know it's hard to get a handle on his headaches at school but I wonder if you could try establishing a routine when he gets home? I've found that my feet play a huge part in getting rid of headaches (trust me on this one, I drank Diet Coke obsessively for nearly 6 years so I know a thing or two about headaches now :lol: ). If you could get him to try this sort of stuff when he gets in.....lie on his bed with the lights off but with the window slightly ajar, make sure he has his socks off and if possible is in comfy clothing like pyjamas or jogging bottoms and a t-shirt. (If possible, naked is the way to go but it's not always poss) Try and get him to glug a big glass of water first and wash his face and in particular splash water around the back of his neck and his ears (I found this helped a lot). Then ask him to lay down and chill for as long as he feels he needs too.

If you could get him into a routine of doing this for 10 mins or so everyday it might help a little and reduce the need for Calpol (it's what I always try first before the neurofen now) but I know it would be a difficult thing to do.

Hope this helps

Emily

xxx

On the aspartame issue - it's evil! It runs straight through C (in about 10 minutes flat, :blink: ). A while back, on the epilepsy forum (DS2 has epilepsy) there was a big discussion about reports that came out about aspartame being linked to increased seizures in epileptic people. So, it's definately doing something bad to the brain.

Wondered what the drink is that your son takes to school?

He has very diluted, sugar-free squash, not sure if they contain aspartamane, but I'll certainly check. >:D<<'>

On the school support issue, it feels like they really don't give a damn to be totally honest. :( If he has a headache in the middle of a maths lesson, they just expect him to sit there and carry on!

Thanks JsMum >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Thanks so much for taking the trouble smiley. I'm off to London for a few days, but I'll be sure to check these out when I get back. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

SUGAR FREE......DIET.......NO ADDED SUGAR......NO ARTIFICAIL COLOURS OR PERSERVATIVES.....ECT.... ALL mean ASPARTAME

We Really Cant Believe Just How Many Products have this ingredient in todays food.

Aspartame is very toxic once its built up a level in the body, so six years worth of diet coke and othe diet products the result is headaches, siezures, and its also now linked to Cancer so it really should now be banned.

Have a great time in London, we went for a weekend and loved it though J wouldnt go on the underground!!!

Hugs

JsMum

SUGAR FREE......DIET.......NO ADDED SUGAR......NO ARTIFICAIL COLOURS OR PERSERVATIVES.....ECT.... ALL mean ASPARTAME

We Really Cant Believe Just How Many Products have this ingredient in todays food.

Aspartame is very toxic once its built up a level in the body, so six years worth of diet coke and othe diet products the result is headaches, siezures, and its also now linked to Cancer so it really should now be banned.

Have a great time in London, we went for a weekend and loved it though J wouldnt go on the underground!!!

Hugs

JsMum

Cheers, JsMum, just got back from London, we have relatives there and have to go on the underground, we're not big fans either though!!

It sounds awful this Aspartame, but it sounds really hard to avoid as well! :blink:

~ Mel ~