Sign in to follow this  
fairynormal

Case goes to panel tomorrow

My son's case goes to the SEN Panel tomorrow morning. He's curretly got a statement of 9 hours but has been excluded from school for 5 weeks now (not including half term week) I don't want him to return to his mainstream school and they don't want him back either. I can understand their reasons and do agree with them and they are being very supportive, attending all meetings to do with my son. I have looked at a couple of local special schools and integrated units and have found one that I feel is appropriate. They weren't over keen on taking Isaac as he has such complex needs including mental health problems. He doesn't actually fit the criteria for any local school but he has to go somewhere!

I'm not banking on them reaching a decision tomorrow and naming a school. His case officer called me today and said they had never had such a complex case and it may need further discussions to make sure they find the right placement. His medical team are still banging on and on about an out of town residential placement but there is no way I will consider this.

So fingers crossed that tomorrow brings some good news.

Edited by fairynormal

The case officer says she will phone me tomorrow afternoon once it's all finished. She was great and said that making me wait to hear wasn't fair so she'd call me ASAP.

Fingers crossed!

Good LuCK for today, >:D<<'>

I think it is going to be very difficult like you say with children who have complex needs to find the right placement, in our area there is three special schools and all take very different needs none that J would suit as his needs are soo different, and in some subjects he is very able, so I do know what you mean.

One special school here has a 16months waiting list and the LEA are been very restricted criteria for statemented children, but your sons 9 hours support seems very minute, and wondered why he isnt been given adaquate support and given a fair number of hours of 1-1 support?

I really do hope that they do look at the long term reasons of placement and why its important to get it right while they are still at primary age, as he gets older it will be very different int terms of how they manage him in education and in the wrong setting this could make things worse.

Really hoping that today is the beginning of the first steps to the right support.

JsMum

Thanks everyone! >:D<<'>

The case officer called me this afternoon to let me know what had happened. The panel have selected 4 schools they think are most appropriate. 2 are local LEA special schools but they are both full until September, one is the integrated resource unit I visited and the other is ******** school run by the NAS. They have sent all the reports and case notes to each school and they have a strict time limit of a week to look at the information and decide if they think it is a suitable placement for Isaac. Obviously the two LEA special schools are no good as they are physically full to capacity and cannot accommodate another pupil even if the panel says so. The integrated unit have already stated that they have never had a pupil with such complex needs (particularly the mental health issues) and are not keen to take him. I asked about the NAS school before but was told that as it is a non LEA school and just outside our LEA border, not to bother. But now the panel have reccomended it, it's a different matter. I am going to call the Parent Partnership tomorrow and ask them to arrange and come with me on a visit. The NAS school takes pupils up to 16+ so this would mean he wouldn't have to change schools again in a year and half to move to senior school. I have heard great things about it too so fingers crossed!

So a very positive outcome so far. lets hope next week brings even better news :)

Edited by Kathryn

Fingers and toes all crossed for you.

Clare x

Whoops....guess that means double crossed for extra luck

Edited by Clare63

I took a look at ********** website and it looks amazing. The more I read the more I think It would be perfect for him.

I so hope they think he would be suitable to go there as it really does look perfect.

Edited by Kathryn

Hi Fairynormal,

Things are looking positive so far, I hope you get the placement you want for your son. :pray:

It's against forum rules to name particular schools, so I've edited your posts to remove the information identifying the school. I'm sorry about this but I hope you understand.

Kathryn

I really hope you will be able to get a place there if it proves best for your son >:D<<'> Going through the whole school change thing myself at the moment and would love the option of something like that round here!! Hope it all works out :D