Sign in to follow this  
fairynormal

A major breakthrough

Today whilst watching Child in a million on TV with my son, ther was a little boy who said his wish was to have a proper friend who didn't laugh at him. Isaac turned to me and said, "I'd be his friend. Just because he has something the matter with him he's still nice. I mean, I have ASPERGERS and I'm still ok!" I could have fallen off the sofa in shock and joy but didn't comment at all to him as I didn't want to make a big deal of it. Up till now, he has gone ballistic if anyone mentions Aspergers of Autism and has been adamant that he didn't have either and we were all liars. I think what has changed this was that we went to a local playcentre on Monday night. They have started running a night just for kids with special needs. We popped along and knew all of the kids there and he had a fab time. He played a lot with another boy with AS who is the same age and they get on really well. He said they were discussing how they are very alike and "have the same thing". He has never spoken like this with anyone as he was in total denial. I have never pushed it but he seems to have accepted it in his own way in his own time.

I feel so proud of him and feel we have turned a corner.

Just wanted to share that with you as it made me so happy :D>:D<<'> :D

Edited by fairynormal

wow wow wow >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

This is brilliant news and yes he has Aspergers and he is OK. :thumbs: Because there is nothing wrong with having Aspergers Syndrome. Self awareness and acceptance can only help him to understand himself and that you can actually have AS and be pretty cool at the same time :clap:

The journey of a million miles begins with the first step that we take.

Cat

Edited by Cat

That's fantastic!! A huge breakthrogh. P still blames everything that happens to him on his ASD so I hope we have a "eureka" moment like that sometime. Brill!

Awww wow fairynormal that is brilliant! No wonder u are so very proud of him and its great he knows he is ok even tho he has AS :thumbs: bless him and im sure it will make u smile for a long time, thanks for sharing this with us :thumbs:

Bambi x

Wow, fairynormal, that's such an enormous step forward, you must be so relieved. :P:dance::notworthy: I know how heavily it weighed on my mind, worrying about how my lad would accept and come to terms with his dx, it's such a relief when you know they are comfortable with it. Well done!! :notworthy::notworthy:>:D<<'> >:D<<'> :thumbs::clap:

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl