Sign in to follow this  
worried mum

best book for newly diagnosed

hi there, i've looked all over for more information on autism & i seem to be getting bogged down with a lot of information, i was wondering if anyone, who was in my situation, found any books interesting to read, that sort of "gently" gave you all the information you needed. my son is aged 6 and has atypical autism. i am after a book that can give me an insight into how he feels/perceives things and the best way to deal with him etc.

thank you

Hiya,

Difficult one to answer i'm afraid - i have several books i go back to again and again, yet a friend with a child similar to mine hates them! :lol: Probably having a look through some books to see what appeals to you - either online (amazon...play...NAS...whatever...), or bookshop (always better - 'coz you can have a good moochy!), do you have any support groups near you? Quite often they have libraries where they can lend out a couple of books.

>:D<<'>

My paed recommended ASPERGERS SYNDROME by Tony Attwood. I did read quite a bit of it and found the information easy to read rather than gargon. It helped me understand things a bot more and made me realise that my son does have asp as i was doubting the paeds assesment

Found it in a normal high st book shop.

Hi,

I found Brenda Boyd's "Parenting a Child with Asperger Syndrome - 200 tips and strategies" to be a good read after my son was diagnosed.

Hi

I've bought a few of fantastic books.

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

This book is about a teenager called Christopher with AS. He writes how he handled situations like meeting new people ie his neighbour, getting on a train by himself. Some parts were sad, witty but I felt this gave a remarkable insight into how he thinks. Christopher also outlined how he has a remarkable long term memory and how his memory is like a video recorder - he just hits the rewind button. Another interesting point was how he describes his logic ie if he walks past 4 red cars parked in a row that means it's going to be a bad day and he won't eat of speak for days on end. I couldn't put the book down! Whilst my son is 5 and although they're very different in a lot of ways, there were similarities and after having read the book, it made me more understanding. In addition, there are lots of things that my son does which makes me question why does he do that. But reading about Christopher's logic to walking past 4 red cars, it made me realise that maybe there isn't obvious logic to certain things.

Surviving the Special Educational Needs System: How to Be a Velvet Bulldozer by Sandy Row

This was written by a woman who has adopted 3 children with special needs (all of which are on the autistic spectrum). This has to be one of the best books that I've read on this topic so far. The author gives an insight into the trials and tribulations of life with her adopted children that each has an austic spectrum disorder as well as having other problems/difficulties. After reading the first few chapters I was really disheartened and thought how on earth am I going to manage to deal with my situation as Sandy is very forthright about how she's had to fight 'tooth and nail' to get a diagnosis for each child as well as a proper education, etc. However, Sandy's just been honest and realistic about the difficulties she's faced and gives a great deal of invaluable advice. I found this book to be a combination of sad, touching, and heartwarming and gave me real strength to face whatever is ahead of me in my quest for a diagnosis for my son. I think because the author hasn't just clocked on a 9am and went home at 5pm (she's experienced the highs and lows), she tells it like it is. I'd highly recommend this book.

One I wouldn't recommend ...

Multicoloured Mayhem: Parenting the Many Shades of Adolescents and Children with Autism, Asperger Syndrome and AD/HD by Jacqui Jackson

I'm afraid I was unimpressed by this book. I purchased this book along with Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome by Luke Jackson at a time when I was desperately seeking the benefit of someone else's experiences. I just didn't find this book at all helpful. I purchased this book because it's been written by the mother of a child with Aspergers. I hoped that the author would therefore have a wealth of experience covering and identifying everyday difficulties that she's faced and tackled. I found it to be all very general and felt that in one section the author was portraying herself as some kind of superhero (studying, etc). Parents in my situation, don't want to hear this - we want to benefit from other people's experiences!!! I felt that the books were not informative and basically had been written to cash in.

One for your child ...

How do you feel Thomas?

My son loves this book. It's basically about emotions and trying to help children understand facial expressions. It's a very simple book - sometimes simplest is best!

Hope you find something which is informative.

Caroline.

Hi I really like ''Asperger Syndrome the Universe and Everything''by Kennneth Hall.Keneth is 10 has AS and writes very well about AS from his own perspective.

Best little book I ever got was called 'Why Does Chris Do That?', from the NAS. It's quite a small book, not too daunting or intimidating. I went through it highlighting all the relevant bits (most of it in the end) and gave it to his teacher and she found it very helpful.

Good luck, there are certainly a lot of books out there! >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Tony Attwood's book is my bible - very concise and thorough.

Another book to read and show friends and family (only takes about 20 minutes to read) is "Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome" by Jude Welton. Very simple to read.

Good luck!

thanks for all your useful info, i'm going to the library today as they have a few of them in (i checked online) and next time i go shopping i'm taking my book list with me to have a look through to see which best suits me.

sorry i've not replied sooner my account was being a nightmare and didn't recognise me, all sorted now, thankfully :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

maybe a bit late, but these were my favourites when I learned about my son's (3) dx [and my own self-dx]:

Gisela Slater-Walker, Chris Slater-Walker: An Asperger Marriage

ISBN: 1843100177

Luke Jackson: Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome

A User Guide to Adolescence.

ISBN: 1843100983

Ashley Stanford: Asperger Syndrome and Long - Term Relationships:

ISBN: 1843107341

Edited by Shnoing