Sign in to follow this  
krystaltps

EVIL HOLIDAYS

Do you ever get lulled into a false sense of security when things are going well? C has been so good lately, with all the new behaviour management schemes that have been put into place at school, and the fact that he has made a FRIEND (an amazing little boy who has no end of patience, and shares his obsession for pokemon), it's been like he doesn't have AS. He has coped so well with the kid who always bullies him, and he's just been so lovely.

Then the holidays - uh-oh, change of routine. Woops. All hell has broken loose. His wee brother's dulcit tones woke me this morning - he 's been hit on the head with his own baseball bat - watched as enormous egg-shaped purple lump formed. Took them to the park, where he hit an old man and poked a girl in the eye with a stick (he's now grounded). He hates me, and auntie is a "big, fat, hairy snot-bum from outer space" apparently. Two room-trashes in one afternoon, a couple of kicks for the poor dog, and fair chunk of self-harm. A busy day all round. :crying:

The thing is, he'll have just started adapting to the holidays when it's time to go back to school.

Have pre-booked and paid for Pokemon Ranger for his Nintendo DS (out on 13th) - have pinned the ticket on the wall and told him he has to earn it or I'll be taking it to the charity shop when I pick it up. This seems to be having some effect, thank goodness. It buys me a bribe and a sanction for the rest of the holidays.

Does this happen to anyone else during the hols?

Oh yes, yes, yes ...... like you say change in the routine !!!! I sometimes wish we did' nt have school holidays or not so many, my nightmare will begin when its time for him to go back.

Good luck with the rest of the hols

Clare x

I was just thinking how much I hate the holidays!

J is being impossible, really silly and annoying. He's topped off a very long, trying day by scribbling on the computer screen :crying: (and on everything else) with a permanent black marker. He's just turned 6.

We use bribes all the time. In fact I've realised that the real reason why I organise things to do is so I can use them as a form of bribery, (aka, behaviour management :whistle: ).

I've got a sore throat now from telling him off.

Eva

I don't seem to have a problem at the moment - but I think that is because J is just so happy not to have to go to school. Even holiday club should go well next week when I'm back at work. The problem will come when he has to return to school and then he will be a nightnmare for a good few weeks. he just about gets used to being at school, then there'll be another holiday. I've tried using play station games to encorouge him to get to school - worked first time I tried it - didn't work after that! Time to think of a new strategy!

Gawd, I am so with you all on this!! I feel so horrible, Both kids were very hard word yesterday, and I just moaned at them, which I hate doing! :crying:

Wish the school could run a holiday play scheme or something....dreading the summer break!

Edited by ellisisamazing

I think for us holidays brings us a bit of a reliefe, we can slow down a bit and J can relax with doing his own thing, the weekend was great we went to cinema and on monday we had a picnic in the park and went cycling with our puppy,

I have a cold and I havent the same energy so I am glad I havent had to deal with school struggles and meltdowns because of something had happened, and I have the guessing game of what that trigger could of been.

J loves his holidays, he has a scedual the same as he would of at school, so he has some structure to the day, we also try if we can give some forward warnings, and get him use the tasks, park and picnics are easy for J but shopping and doing tasks he doesnt want to do then thats a different story.

Holidays can leave J a little more agitated only because he has to entertain himself at times when I am doing my own things, so thats normally when I get the minor warnings J might need to be doing something I choose, thats when we go out for a walk or a cycle ride.

I use time out if out and about and we sit on a bench or a place I know I can deal with him and he hates having to stay where he is especially doing nothing when he could be racing ahead or jumping off obstacles so I can sometimes prevent the real major problems if we catch him early.

I think it does take time for change but the most meltdown period is when he returns back to school, but once back in a routine it does settle again because he has that scedual and structure but he hates the tasks he struggles with and thats sitting down, listening and doing work so for J I think he would rather have holidays and he says if he was a teacher he would reward the kids with longer playtimes/activities.

I would have some form of similair stratagy at home with instant consequences but short ones so he can remember what he did in the first place and so if he is hitting, kicking an instant ban of his beloved items, for J he has his PSP banned for 24 hours, and if he continues then its the next thing he likes.

I place a picture of whats banned and why with date on so I know when he can have it back on the whiteboard.

keep a diary as well maybe a good to get a look at what possible trigger they are, and placing in ideas that may help him feel as confortable and safe as he does at school.

main triggers for J are agitation, frustration, lack of control, impulsive behaviour has caused a negative reaction, over whelmed, over excited, tired, hungry, hyperactive, restless, angry.

The holidays can at times be overwhelming and over exciting too so its keeping it as calm as possible sometimes too, so having nice calming activities like cooking, painting, crafts, or just plain old, duvet and snacks with dvd. ( its good to get them nackered for this first though?)

JsMum

"big, fat, hairy snot-bum from outer space"

*files insult away for next unco-operative "professional" we encounter* :lol:

Hang on in there, it does get easier I promise. J has just taken himself off, all by himself, to the barbers :notworthy: and is absolutely thrilled I am off to a funeral today as he gets the house to himself. I'm going to run around naked, screaming, with ladders, :huh: he says. He's only joking (I think)

Oh Lord, yes! They are just a nightmare and as he is only 3 (very nearly 4) and non-verbal, bribery just isn't an option. The idea of the summer holidays is enough to bring me to tears but the only locally run playscheme for kids with special needs is for 5 and over, gnnrrk!

Loved "big, fat, hairy snot-bum from outer space" !

not too bad here, as dr who is on the sky +, her new friend at school is very much on the scene, and she doesnt have to go to school to see her! big hugs to all of you who are having a nightmare.....i dont know how long this will last lol! >:D<<'>

A better day today in the end!

But I had to endure a four song loop for almost two hours! PATIENCE and SHINE by TAKE THAT, CHASING CARS by SNOW PATROL and CRAZY bY GNARLS BARKLEY!!

Ellis did a fine round of DAD STYLE DANCING!!

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> Only just seen this. Sending you lots of >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Yes holidays are always difficult here too. O hates any changes to routine and sleeps even less than usual too. When we break up from school I never seem to feel the same relief that the other teachers do as the holidays are harder than being at work! So far hasn't been 2 bad - used visual timetables and kept the days packed with activities but am knackered and ready for bed myself by 9pm!

Have to go as bathtime here - take care

Love Elun xxx

reece finds the holidays difficult as well as you say by the time they get used to the change in routine its time 2 go back to school. and reece also thinks that every holiday is for 6 weeks!! goodluck everyone with the holidays love donnaxxxxx