pingu

Sensory Garden

>:D<<'>

Hi Everyone.

Im here with a question about sensory gardens, We are trying to transform the top of our garden (a nice space) into a place where everyone (kids and adults alike) can go and relax whilst at the same time having lots to look at and smell and see. (if you get the drift)

Mainly it was supposed to be somewhere to relax but i would love to turn it into a sensory garden. We have made a start with a border of blue / green conifers and a wishing well water feature. but the ideas (and the money) has dried up for now.

So my question

Has anyone any ideas which sort of plants and flowers we should be looking to buy for a sensory garden. and .... any more ideas what i can put in there??

Have you done a sensory garden?

any tips really >:D<<'>

Also just a quick update on Kieran.

We are still awaiting his orthapedic assessment (re- hips), but the good news is, we are on the first step of the ladder with the statement. (well everyone is agreed). Had parent partnership lady here this morning who thinks we have a strong case BUT warned it could still get turned down.

Apart from that K is doing ok. Had a recent Bouncy Castle day (after 6 weeks of "how many hours till the bouncy castle comes"?) on monday, He totally bounced himself out (spent in total of 8 hours bouncing) but its calmed him down now. lol.

Hope everyone else is well. love to you all. Thanks for been here. >:D<<'>

shaz x

Just an idea but what about contacting THE BBC GARDEN WEBPAGE I AM SURE THEY HAVE A QUESTION AND ANSWER maybe they might be able to advice you on what to put in the garden which isnt to expensive. Just another idea what about herbs grown from packets of seeds they are not to expensive. If you lived near me you could come and raid my garden for any cuttings that would be suitable >:D<<'>

Some lovely scented plants:

lavender, honeysuckle, evening primrose, old varieties of rose, hyacinths, bluebells, jasmine.

Plus all the herbs to rub between your fingers, like rosemary, mint etc.

Shrubs like buddleia attract loads of butterflies.

Was that the kind of thing you were looking for?

:bounce: <<<<<< Kieran on the bouncy castle :D

Funny this post has come up after having a telephone conversation with a freidn today and suggesting she do something similar with her garden, lol

I'ld be thinking if it was me as a relazer for me some lovely soft lighting hidden in between shrubs like grass or up against trees so you see the beautiful light reflecting, this is one of my favourites.

I also love the sound of trickling water, lots of shrubs in the garden and a swing seat to lie back on and take it all in, if you have some room for play then a water/sand table is great for children or a nice soft swing, hammock type like.

Oh wish I was doing this now. I have a hug garden but no money or motivation to do any of this.

Just another idea what about growing some runner beans too, the colours on them i think are very beautiful and the children will have fun picking them when they are ready to eat, lol

Just to add to that be very careful with things that may go in mouths or if you have a child like mine a thrower, who when in temper used to pick up the slate to throw.

Hope you have lots of fun with this >:D<<'>

I don't know your family, but I would echo what SM22 said, choose your plants with a care, some are mildly toxic, some can cause irritation when crushed or collected.

lavender, honeysuckle, evening primrose, old varieties of rose, hyacinths, bluebells, jasmine.

I love them all, but the sap of evening primrose can be an irritant, all my old roses have serious Sleeping Beauty thorns.

I've got a sensory garden, perfumes for day and some that are more heavily scented at night.

Non-invasive bamboo for the sound and a safe place to hide. Wild strawberries and violets as groundcover.

lambs ears( plants!) that are soft and furry to touch

Honesty with seed cases you can hold up to the light and look through, mint grown around and in the lawn.

B's stone collections are very tactile, and the feathers he finds go into lengths of copper piping in the hedge.

His pine cones are used as mulches in my pots, and the interesting twisted bits of wood are in a logpile full of beetles and woodlice.

Can't afford a water feature yet, but we want a rock with a trickle of water, or a bubble fountain.

We've got several home made mosaics with a range of materials, pebbles, tiles, mirrors, glass...

wind chimes and wind spinners in locations that mean they're not jangling all the time.

It's a huge amount of fun, you can change your mind easily, it really doesn't cost a lot and it is always developing.

Think what you want in your garden, what matters to you and the children. Sound, sight, touch, taste, wildlife...

B and I sometimes pitch the tent and sleep out in the summer, cooking on a hibatchi type BBQ.

Daughter watches us communing with nature and shudders with horror from the safety of the electronic heaven that is her room, but even she can be found in the garden on a hot, sunny day!

I love my garden, and I hope yours gives you pleasure.

I dont know there name, but its a plant that opens out in day light and closes as the sunlight fades, well fasinating, begins with a G.

strong colours are always attractive, yellows, orange, sunflowers are out favourate.

Lavender, thyme are a lovely smell.

rose bushes are lovely too, arch frames with flowering crawler plants can make fasinating arches.

watched the programme tonight on bbc2 about echo houses, it had a lady who has grown organic veg and done stuff to her house, she placed a pound and bog to attract frogs as these eat slugs and snails, she placed grates across as she had young grandchildren.

J loves the wheather, so we have a wheather station from A 2 Z.

Wind chimes, windmills, banners are great for child friendly look.

Orniments are cute, loads in the gardening section in Argos, many themes, like simpsons, bill and ben, whinnie the poo but I just love the sculptures where its a boy or a girl looking at a butterfly or something, angels are a lovely feature too.

Sun Dials attract your inquisitive child, bird feeding stations add to the noise, as do squirral feeding areas too, little assualt courses can be amusing.

A welcome to my garden sign are really nice.

A little playhouse, den and sandpit entertain them while they are surrounded by nature.

when its done are we invited for a garden party?

JsMum

Hi There.

Thanks for all your messages. your gardens sound lovely. I could really visulise some of your ideas. We already have an Arch and have made a start with some rose climbers. so hopefully that will make it bright.

Thanks again for your great ideas, i am off to look for some of the plants you have mentioned. ........ EBay !! :thumbs:

Thanks again.

shaz x >:D<<'>

One idea that I came up with for my sensory garden (still in the planning phase!) is a tarpauline (should be available from halfords but not sure how much) supported by rustic poles and undernearth place a bale of hay or straw. I got this idea when I took my two to grandparents stables, where the hay was under a "tent" and the kids loved it. the hay may need replacing after a while, but then I'll use it to mulch my jungle garden (bamboos and banana plants).

Some lovely suggestions there and I'll keep these in mind when we (finally) move and get the 70 foot garden we've been longing for.....

I'm going to get a living willow in autumn to create a den for DS and then plant some fragrant and edible plants as well as colourful things.

Good luck!

Shamu

;)