Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie

Pencil Grips

OT visited my son at school and looked at the awkward way in which he holds a pencil (kind of a relaxed palm grasp), his writing is OK but he really needs to have some help with holding his pencil.

She suggested an elastic band around the pencil (we tried this plus other grips in the past). She also recommended a writing slope (I have doubts!)

As the OT is er, wishy washy and not very helpful, I thought I would call upon the professionals (you parents) for advice.

Has anyone tried a pencil grip that actually works and gets your child to hold their pen in a tripod grip properly?? If so, can you let me know what these grips are called and where to get them.

I have tried the triangular grips, the plain foam grips and chunkier pens before.

OT visited my son at school and looked at the awkward way in which he holds a pencil (kind of a relaxed palm grasp), his writing is OK but he really needs to have some help with holding his pencil.

She suggested an elastic band around the pencil (we tried this plus other grips in the past). She also recommended a writing slope (I have doubts!)

As the OT is er, wishy washy and not very helpful, I thought I would call upon the professionals (you parents) for advice.

Has anyone tried a pencil grip that actually works and gets your child to hold their pen in a tripod grip properly?? If so, can you let me know what these grips are called and where to get them.

I have tried the triangular grips, the plain foam grips and chunkier pens before.

Hi

Have you tried the specially slopped pens. I think they are called something like Stylo and you can get them from any stationary shop.

My six year old son still can not write and is having extensive occupation therapy, so do not feel alone with this.

Mandy

You could try a gyropen. They are about 3 pounds in WHSmiths. I think they are the sloped pens mentioned above. My son is having some success with his mostly because you can see what you are actually putting on the page more clearly than you can with an ordinary pen or pencil.

Hi We have tried every type of pencil grip and differently shaped pen we could find.Alas none of them worked for Ben.

The good news is that pencil grfips are cheep and available in well known stationary shops.So it would not cost a lot to try a few.Karen.