Sign in to follow this  
JenRose

headteacher of special school has been

but our 2nd choice of school, the secretary has just phoned and said that she has a letter from the headteacher saying M DOES

fit their criteria and there are places available now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its an EBD school that has just started taking children with HFA/AS in the last year.

i dont know much about EBD but the headteacher says M is like a lot of children in his school.

Oh no, how awfull for you especially with your tribunal so very soon. I have to say I have had the same too but not because my son is too bright, mostly because he has the PDA factor, many AS schools wont accept him. I have had 3 schools by one group say they will not accept him for this reason.

Are there any other schools you can look at?

I have borrowed the gabbitas book from my library and going through that but nearly every school I call say he's not suitable because he's higher functioning or too challenginmg. I believe something will come up definatly and for your child too. I really don' know what to suggest to you but it's better they have told you now, the tribunal aggreed that the school I wanted wasn't suitable for my son and that was on the day.

Sorry this news was not what u wanted to hear. Ask NAS if they can search their data base for alist of suitable schools, take care >:D<<'>

Hi

Sounds promising! Have you visited it?

Every school is different, but I visited a school like that and was very impressed at what I saw. My son appears very able and doesn't quite fit into the mainstream school or special school bracket. He seems to be managing in a mainstream school so far. However, if things change, I'd certainly be happy for him to go to the school that I saw.

Caroline.

Sorry my reply has taken me so long to write that when I originally started to write it you only had your first post. This is great news. I would ask them their approaches to ASD children and how many children with ASD they have there, good luck >:D<<'>

That's good news about your 2nd choice, JenRose. :thumbs: Hope it works out really well for you. Are you going to go on a visit soon?

Best of luck. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

I agree: do check the school out properly - the wrong school placement will do a lot of harm.

The approach for children with EBD is different to that for those with AS. Some EBD schools do do a good job with children with AS, but as this school has only been taking them for a year, I would want to be sure they know what they are doing.

we cant look around without the lea introducing us.

BUT i know a lady who,s son goes there and he is AS and he loves it and she said he is a completely different child

since he has been going there.

its all in the hands of the tribunal now.

if we dont win then its home education as it has been for the last 18 months.

we cant look around without the lea introducing us.

jenrose i found the school i am looking at for steve on the gabbitas site,i phoned them and arranged the visit,then i phoned the LEA to tell them,maybe you could try that?i was assertive for once and it paid off :thumbs::thumbs:

i have been in touch with the school and had a couple of chats with the headteacher but they wont let me visit until lea set up or agree.

we asked the lea could we visit and they said thats up to you but the school say we have to be introduced.

the president of sendist has written to the school asking them does M ,s SN meet the admission criteria and if so is there a place and they,ve said yes to both.

im goint to phone the school again this morning and see if they will just let me and Dave have a quick look around before next week.

im goint to phone the school again this morning and see if they will just let me and Dave have a quick look around before next week.

Try pointing out that at the tribunal you will be discussing placement for your son - how are you supposed to make an informed decision without even visiting the school??

i phoned the school she was very sorry but said unless our LEA set up the visit we cannot go there.

i have got my casestatement today and the lea lady says she never refused to arrange a visit and one can be arranged if requested.

but its too late now the lady at the school said she cannot fit us in even if the lea want to set up the visit.

she said there are still places available in year 5 and 6 for M.

i cant do anything more can i?

the lies they are telling is unreal.

i have posted another thread about their case statement.

im soooooooo angry.