Clare63

DLA Claim

I am pleased to report we have been successful with our claim for Connor. The entitlement is for Feb 2007 to Mar 2011 (which will make him 16 yrs) which is good news, we have "higher rate" for personal care and lower rate for mobility, I am very pleased with the result and this will provide us with some much needed financial support especially as I have to drive him to and from school as he won't use the free transport and it costs me a fortune in petrol and I am so limited in the hours I can work.

A BIG thank you to everyone who supported me through this process and for all the useful advice found on this forum, anyone else thinking of claiming or trying to fill out their forms please make sure you check out all the advice available.

Clare x x x

Great news - well done! When its successful it makes all the hardwork filling in the forms worthwhile.

Lynne x

Wow! That's a great result and good that you have the security of knowing you have the money at that rate for at least another 4 years. It'll make a big difference to your lives. WELL DONE :thumbs:

Great news Clare :thumbs: Our's took ages to sort out originally, so we ended up with quite a large back payment......we spent it on lots of things for our dd for the garden, as she couldn't play out......the look on her face, when she saw her trampoline, large playhouse and sandpit was lovely :wub:

What a lovely idea Bagpuss..... my Dh and I are too scared to do anything with it yet in case they ask for it back, but at least we have now had the letter confirming it, so perhaps now we can give it some thought.

Clare x

Clare, don't forget to check if you are entitled to Carers Allowance too. I put it off for a long, long while, as I didn't view myself as a carer, daft I know. I also assumed it would be a long, drawn out process like DLA. Eventually I decided to look into it, and it was really straight forward :thumbs:

Thanks BP, this is a whole new world for me I have only ever had child benefit before, there is a useful booklet come with the DLA letter which lists other benefits we may be entitled to, I 'll have to have a look.

Clare x

Well done Clare!

:clap::clap:

As you have been awarded the higher rate for care you should inform the child tax credit people immediately as you get extra child tax credit if you have a child with a severe disability. Any child who gets higher rate DLA automatically qualifies for this.

Simon

Brilliant news Clare :clap::clap:

Well done, glad you got there in the end !!

Now hoping my son's will be awarded, and hoping it will not go as far as a tribunal.

Date of application: 22 Dec 2006.

Turned down March 2007

Turned down on reconsideration April 2007, now appealing.

Received an an email earlier in the week to inform me if the DM does not overturn the decision then we will be sent a submission fom for tribunal, but fingers crossed they will overturn the decision.

(turned down to an incorrect school report - now rectified), lets hope they see it this way.

Will keep you posted, and well done again, that is brilliant news. :thumbs::thumbs:

Love Di x

Well done Clare!

:clap::clap:

As you have been awarded the higher rate for care you should inform the child tax credit people immediately as you get extra child tax credit if you have a child with a severe disability. Any child who gets higher rate DLA automatically qualifies for this.

Simon

Simon's right Clare. When youngest dd was awarded DLA we rang Tax Credits, to inform that our "income" had increased, and assumed our Tax Credits would decrease...we were really surprised to find they went up :)

I am pleased to report we have been successful with our claim for Connor. The entitlement is for Feb 2007 to Mar 2011 (which will make him 16 yrs) which is good news, we have "higher rate" for personal care and lower rate for mobility, I am very pleased with the result and this will provide us with some much needed financial support especially as I have to drive him to and from school as he won't use the free transport and it costs me a fortune in petrol and I am so limited in the hours I can work.

A BIG thank you to everyone who supported me through this process and for all the useful advice found on this forum, anyone else thinking of claiming or trying to fill out their forms please make sure you check out all the advice available.

Clare x x x

Clare does your son get support at school? ..... if he refuses to use bus would you eligible for a taxi paid for by education transport? My ES has been going to school by taxi for 3 years now as his place at school (20+ miles away) is classified as an Education Placement due to his 'needs' rather than an Education request. My YS will be going to school by taxi in August when he starts new school.

I had to fight to get the taxi for ES but everyone agreed that it was necessary.

Louise

Hi Clare,

I'm really pleased it worked out.

This will be a great help. :cheers:

I got my sons through yesterday what a relief! He'll also get it until he's 16 too, no forms for 4 years. :D

Must send the letter out for the end of the month - ys's renewel result came yesterday - high level care and low level mobility; same as last time and no renewal until 2012.

Louise

Thanks Louise & Wishingwell,

Great news for your too Wishingwell.

Louise thanks for the tip re taxi !

Clare x x x