Sign in to follow this  
onlycrazygal

PLEASE READ THIS.....

im hoping this isnt deleted from forum, as these things do need addressing it does concern a young mum with Aspergers....wether mods agree is

a different thing again, but i have cautiously deleted the area council and service providers.

thank you

hugs,

OCG

this was in public newspaper yesterday....

autistic mother's child taken into care

Autistic mum?s baby taken into careJul 7 2007

by Martin Shipton, Western Mail

THE grandfather of a baby taken into care immediately after he was born is accusing social services of discriminating against his daughter because she has a form of autism.

The baby?s 21-year-old mother has Asperger?s Syndrome, a condition associated with problems concerning social and communication skills.

The grandfather, who lives in South Wales but cannot be identified for legal reasons, said, ?Within hours of the baby being born two weeks ago, social workers arrived at the hospital and served papers on my daughter saying they would be applying for an interim care order. She was beside herself.

?Two weeks before what should have been the happiest day of her life, we as a family attended a case conference where Monmouthshire County Council placed the unborn baby on an ?at risk? register. Their argument was that because she has Asperger?s Syndrome, she is at risk of getting post-natal depression, and that there would therefore be the likelihood of her neglecting the baby.

?In my view, all this stress sent my daughter into labour four weeks early.

?At the court case, the odds were obviously stacked against us and the interim care order was granted. My daughter has gone with her baby to a foster carer in a remote part of South Wales, which it takes several hours to get to by public transport from where we live. Both her partner and me are greatly restricted in the times we are allowed to visit.?

Next Wednesday a further court hearing is due to take place, by which time the mother and her baby will have been transferred to a family assessment centre in the west of England.

The grandfather said, ?When my daughter asked what arrangements would be made to bring her to the court hearing in Wales, she was told it wasn?t their responsibility to ferry her around.

?My daughter?s mother and I ? we are no longer together ? have both offered to have her and the baby stay with us, but that has been rejected, even though we have a very good support network in our extended family, including two nurses, a qualified nanny, two nursery nurses and a recently retired policeman.

?In my view, by doing all this to a disabled person, Monmouthshire County Council is breaching the Disability Discrimination Act, the Mental Health Act, the Children?s Act and the Human Rights Act.?

The grandfather said that when his daughter was at school, it had taken years to get the authorities to accept that his daughter had special educational needs.

?Eventually, after a long struggle, she was given a statement of special educational needs in the last term before she left school. She can also be abrasive, but she is very bright. Within three weeks of my teaching her how to play chess, she was beating me. And you wouldn?t find a more caring, affectionate person with kids. Everyone who knows her is flabbergasted that the baby has been taken into care.?

A spokeswoman for Monmouthshire County Council?s social services department said, ?In order to retain confidentiality, we cannot comment on specific cases. However, we would say that we judge each case according to the circumstances of the individuals involved and the welfare and best interests of children is our paramount responsibility.?

Understanding is key

Asperger?s Syndrome is named after Hans Asperger (1906-1980), an Austrian psychiatrist and paediatrician. He observed four children in his practice who had difficulty integrating socially. Although their intelligence appeared normal, the children lacked nonverbal communication skills, failed to demonstrate empathy with their peers, and were physically clumsy.

Dr Asperger called the condition ?autistic psychopathy? but stated that, ?We can show that despite abnormality, human beings can fulfil their social role within the community, especially if they find understanding, love and guidance.?

:tearful:

[Hi OCG - have edited as discussed to remove the 'personal account' . I have fixed the link to the news article, but have left the text you copied too in case it is deleted or moved from the newsgroups webpage again.

Very best

BD (on behalf of mod/admin team)]

Edited by baddad

Hello,

I find this situation all to familliar and one that would be best placed as a plot in some sick soap.

I think if you look around differant authorities you will see some very conflicting policies, one district council strapped for cash puts kids back with their abusing parents and say's it's better for the kids to be in their family unit!!! while others take kids that are well cared for, away from loving homes as SS deem them to be at risk because parent is disabeled and can not always get their kids to school on time!!!

I really think the powers that be should get their act together and audit severises properly.

Sorry I could go on with this one!!

Anna

That is awful :-( that poor girl!! I dont understand how they can do that, especially when as well as being able, her parents are full behind her and would obviously help with the baby, and she's with the father.

OMG!

Hi this is just awful!! I just can't believe how this can happen! My grandfather was A.S, he coped fine in life! Just because they are A.S doesn't necessarily mean they will get depressed and so what. millions of women suffer with PND after giving birth who don't have A.S including myself, I suffered with it for years, I certanly did not neglect my children. I am just very very cross with S.S, how dare they!!! they never even gave them a chance!

:crying: I am too saddened to even comment. This is a situation which is a very worrying one for many of our aspie/auistic children and children with other dissabiliies.

What this poor girl and her family must be going through right now. My thoughts go to them.

This is so sad and needs to be out in the public, people need o be made aware this goes on, thanks OCG for highlighting this.

I hope the mum gets the baby back and they are supported, just shows you doesn't it that there is so much discrimination going on and a total lack of understanding.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Just been on wrongplanet and there is a long thread about this awful situation. They're starting petitions and suggesting everyone phone the Director of SS!!

I've long since been convinced that social services work with no logic whatsoever. :angry: My heart goes out to the poor woman and her family.

If her child was removed simply because the girl had AS then it is absolutely shocking. Can I just urge a word of caution though. Have been on the other side of such media cases like this and sometimes the facts are not accurately portrayed in the press and there may be other legitimate reasons for SS to have acted like this. Due to issues of confidentiality they have limited right to reply so anythign reported in the press will be the views of one side only.

Agree with whoever above said about different SS having different policies re child protection

Lx